Early 2022-Roster predictions & depth chart

Obviously, this is early & there very well might be signings, cuts or trades before pre season begins. But I thought we would get an early look at what kind of team we are looking at going into the 2022 season.

I'm going to give you my assessment of who the current 53 will be as of the roster we have now. Again, obviously subject to change 

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/roster/WAS

OFFENSE

QB= Wentz---Heinike---Howell: Rivera & Mayhew said we will carry 3 QB's this season. There's no reason to think otherwise & no way in the world will Howell go the practice squad. But udfa Cole Kelley very well could.

RB= Gibson---McKissic---Robinson: I believe we will only carry 3 RB's & Patterson goes to the practice squad. I think he's safe there, hasn't played much & is also the only UDFA we signed last year.

FB= Don't believe we will carry any FB's. We might use TE's in Hybrid or H-back type roles at times possibly (or trick plays). But not any that will be listed as FB on the roster.

WR= McLaurin---Samuels---Brown---Dotson---Sims---Golden---EzzardI believe Kelvin Harmon gets cut. He's 25 yrs old & has done or produced very little for us. With big receivers such as Sims & Golden? I believe he falls victim to the numbers game. I do believe Milne gets put on the practice squad, however. He's only 22 yrs old & still in development & probably safe there. I think Ezzard surprises on not only as a returner & Special Teams , but as a developing WR/RB hybrid like Samuels.In fact, he could be Samuels eventual replacement in the future. I think Dotson comes in as the #4 WR, but used in the slot in our 3 or 4 WR sets for his rookie yr. I can't put him in as the #2, until he has earned it, but I hope he gets there.

TE= Logan Thomas---Cole Turner---John Bates---Sammis Reyes: I think Cole Turner is gonna be a beast! In fact, he takes Bates Job. I realize Turner will need to improve his blocking, but his pass catching skills & size will become too big weapon for Rivera to ignore. For some reason, our hits on TE's has been arguably the best in the League. He will become a huge target for Wentz. I think UDFA TE Curtis Hodges makes the practice squad.

OT= Leno---Charles---Lucas---Cosmi

OG= Norwell---Benzschawel---Schweitzee---Paul

OC=Roullier---(LS-Cheesman)

: I believe we will carry 10 O-lineman counting Cheeseman. I could see the rookie Chris Paul being used as our backup Center & rotational Guard. (Hince in only carrying 1 center). Him & Roullier--- are almost the exact same size. This gives us 27 guys for the Offense. I think OC's Toth or Ismail goes to the practice squad.

DEFENSE

DE= Young---Sweat---King---Toohill

DT= Allen---Payne---Mathis---Wise

: I think our D-Line will be pretty similar to last year, with the exception to Mathis joining the DT grouping. I think DE's Smith & Toney go to the practice squad as well as DT Clark.

OLB= Holcomb---Hudson---White---Walker

MLB=Davis---Mayo

: I think both UDFA's in White & Walker make the team. I'm expecting Landon Collins to come back or a FA signing. Our LBer core is the weakest spot on the team currently & we didn't address it in the draft. I can't imagine we go into the season with what we have. But if not, this about as good as it will get it here. 

CB= Fuller---Jackson---ST Juste---Johnson---Elder

FS= Percy Butler---Bobby McCain---Troy Apke

SS= Curl--- Reaves

:The shocker this season will be the emergence of rookie Safety Percy Butler. His 4.36 speed is as good on the field as you could want. He will take this spot & never look back. He will become our steal of the draft, along with TE Turner. (And hopefully Howell someday) Percy will solidify our back end & create problem for teams throwing deep against us.

K= Slye

P= Way

Edited by aceinthehouse
  • Like 1

We need an OLBer ....like....bad.

We either need to pluck somebody off of another teams practice squad, sign a FA, or possibly make a trade for one.

Having Hudson start & Mayo as the immediate backup, should be a crime.

But we don't have anybody....

We either need to sign Landon Collins, or consider trading for one that is on the trade block.

Heck, I would even be open to the idea of trading Payne for a young, talented OLB.

I wonder if we could trade Payne to Arizona, for Isaiah Simmons?  Payne is only 1 yr older & is a proven commodity.

Simmons was the high profile Safety coming out of college, that got moved to OLB cause he couldn't handle the coverages.

But...his potential is still very, very high. I think his upside and athletic ability would be worth the risk.

16 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I wonder if we could trade Payne to Arizona, for Isaiah Simmons?  Payne is only 1 yr older & is a proven commodity.

Simmons was the high profile Safety coming out of college, that got moved to OLB cause he couldn't handle the coverages.

Like... just Payne for Simmons?

• Like 1

-I think we need an extra center.  Larsen?  I don't even know if Roullier is ready.

-I wonder if we cut Apke, with finding his replacement in Butler

-They should give up on AGG.

-The linebacker depth chart makes me very nervous

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Like... just Payne for Simmons?

I don't know what draft picks would be involved, or considered.

On 1 hand- Simmons had Chase Young type hype coming out of college & into draft, but was humbled by being moved from Safety to OLB because he was getting beat in coverages. But he's only 23 yrs old. He's still got time to show his stuff, even as an OLBer.

On the other hand- Payne has really played well & made a name for himself as a former 1st Rd pick. But hasn't quite made the pro bowl, or earned any accolades in his play. Although he has 14.5 sacks & 227 tackles & 4 ff.  Some believe he's about to go off in his contract year & really dominate.

But I think OLBer is a more premium position. 

So honestly, it's hard for me to say who would send draft picks back.

2 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

So honestly, it's hard for me to say who would send draft picks back.

I 100% hate this trade for us straight up. It's awful. If we SEND picks back too, it's a robbery. Clinton Portis for Bailey and a 2nd robbery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I 100% hate this trade for us straight up. It's awful. If we SEND picks back too, it's a robbery. Clinton Portis for Bailey and a 2nd robbery. 

Still think the best player for player deal for us for Payne would be Payne for Deion Jones a proven MLB who not only has a good history in the 4-3 but also good job mentoring a tall fast Kid like Jamin which Deion did with Foye.Though don't think trading Payne is the best Idea.

I'd also say Kelvin Harmon might be a dark horse to make the roster,while I don't expect him having Wentz and Howell in camp who will throw him more passes that are 50-50 will make him look a lot better then Heinicke and comp did trying to be extra safe,which fits Harmon style more.

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve felt like that they’d be in on Simmons if he became available. I know they liked him in the lead up to the draft. I wouldn’t trade Payne for him though. Maybe a fourth rounder. 

He won’t be traded.  They do what we do, let them play out their contract then let them leave.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

He won’t be traded.  They do what we do, let them play out their contract then let them leave.

Well we are gonna franchise tag him though right?  Maybe twice :)  

Seriously, have we traded any players to other teams in return for value since Rivera got here?

14 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Well we are gonna franchise tag him though right?  Maybe twice :)  

Seriously, have we traded any players to other teams in return for value since Rivera got here?

I was talking about Simmons.