Jets 2022 General Talk

Bobby816

37 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Nope, we lost our best run defender because he wasn't a scheme fit. The defense relied heavily on the linebackers filling the gaps in the run game so that's going to be crucial in us keeping teams from having manageable 2nd and 3rd downs. 

Last year we gave up the 4th most rushing yards, 4.5 ypc, most rushing touchdowns, 2nd most 20+ yard runs, 2nd most 40 yard runs, 7th most rushing first downs. It was brutal when this team needed a stop late in games the defense couldn't get one. 

By no means am I saying we weren’t that bad of a run defense… but some of those stats aren’t what they appear. Teams ran more against us bc we were down pretty much every game and teams were trying to run out the clock. Especially late in games. 

3 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Signed a 3 year 40 mill deal with Bears early in the offseason but failed his physical, so deal was rescinded.  7 sacks last year for Cincy

Would be a nice pick up. I'm interested in seeing JFM at DT, but I wouldn't hate this. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

By no means am I saying we weren’t that bad of a run defense… but some of those stats aren’t what they appear. Teams ran more against us bc we were down pretty much every game and teams were trying to run out the clock. Especially late in games. 

Agreed, and if you look at the league at large. Most defenses are pretty bad at stopping the run and stopping the pass. There are only a handful of defenses that are actually good.  NFL is all about the offense. It is kind of amazing how good the Bills defense was last season vs the pass, most defenses are getting lit up by the QBs. 

The Patriots, Cardinals, Texans, Chargers, Vikings, Packers, Chiefs, Steelers all had higher YPC given up. We are going to have a DL built to get after it, so run defense might suffer but they'll make more splash plays. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Even then metrics were bad, missed tackles were also a huge reason, run stop rate was low, DVOA was negative. You know who often got the biggest blame for our run defense being poor? Ashtyn Davis, our free safety. 

So yeah teams running more was a reason but we know they're running and still cant get the stops when we need them.

11 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Agreed, and if you look at the league at large. Most defenses are pretty bad at stopping the run and stopping the pass. There are only a handful of defenses that are actually good.  NFL is all about the offense. It is kind of amazing how good the Bills defense was last season vs the pass, most defenses are getting lit up by the QBs. 

The Patriots, Cardinals, Texans, Chargers, Vikings, Packers, Chiefs, Steelers all had higher YPC given up. We are going to have a DL built to get after it, so run defense might suffer but they'll make more splash plays. 

You cannot seriously justify having a bad defense. That same Bills defense costed their team a shot at going to the AFCCG, the Bengals did the opposite and got it done on defense and went to the Super Bowl. The eventual champion Rams got the stops they needed to win the Super Bowl. Splash plays mean nothing when you cannot get timely stops or conversions. 

I believe our run defense will improve this season with Lawson and JJ at the edge. They are good run defenders and fast enough to actually set the edge. So there will be a difference from last season. The focus will be at DT and LB. We could see people like JFM and Nas look good in those positions or we could add some cuts/free agents. It's really 2 positions, so I'm not worried there. 

Pass defense, will be a lot better, but I expect some chemistry building early in the season. Sauce, Whitehead, and Reed will be pretty good together. Just waiting to see who wins the NB and FS battle. Whitehead was a great pick up. If Hall becomes the FS, I believe this secondary will be in the top-15. Especially with Reed, Sauce, and Whitehead starting with him. 

5 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You cannot seriously justify having a bad defense. That same Bills defense costed their team a shot at going to the AFCCG, the Bengals did the opposite and got it done on defense and went to the Super Bowl. The eventual champion Rams got the stops they needed to win the Super Bowl. Splash plays mean nothing when you cannot get timely stops or conversions. 

So what you are saying is that defensive rankings mean nothing, as you said, the top ranked defense didn't get it done. That a great offense like the Chiefs still lit up a top defense. 

11 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

So what you are saying is that defensive rankings mean nothing, as you said, the top ranked defense didn't get it done. That a great offense like the Chiefs still lit up a top defense. 

That's only one game, of course things like that can happen. We beat the AFC Champions last year, Mike White outplayed Patrick Mahomes against the Bengals. My issue is having a weakness like run defense that's easily exploitable. Now we obviously have to play the games and I'm basing my assessment off of last year. You did make a good point about how the upgrades in the Secondary could allow us to load the box on early downs so that should help with Whitehead coming in to clean up with Mosley and the linebackers. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

To piggyback off of this..... this is part of why I don't like to draft players that really only fit certain "schemes." Perfect example of this is when we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 when we brought in Rex and decided we didn't need Vilma anymore bc he wasn't a 3-4 LB. Thinking too much. Just draft good football players. And they'll fit into different schemes different ways. Especially in a league where if you draft based on scheme fit and it doesn't work, then the staff is gone and the team is still stuck with those scheme fit players with a new staff and different scheme.

What is Saleh’s scheme exactly?  We run primarily a 4-2-5 base, I think. We know he values pass rushers as does every other team. Zone? Man? I guess we will find out.

The point is that his scheme, or what we believe it to be, does not necessarily limit itself to certain types of players. We believe he wants fast athletic LB as opposed to thumpers. So do most teams. We believe he wants penetrating DT’s. So do list teams.

I don’t think Saleh has a scheme that limits the types of players we get. I have always been a fan of fit the scheme to the players. The lack of talent last year made me add a caveat. You don’t fit a scheme to players who will not be here in a year or two. This year we should see what Saleh’s D is supposed to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

FOley was supposed to be a elite run defender and we couldn't defend it with him in.  Improving the run defense will be from the DL, LB, and secondary. A team effort. I expect the Jets are going to play up more with better talent at CB, the way we can challenge WRs now is different than last season. Especially if Sauce is good quickly. Whitehead is going to be a factor vs the run as well.  The wide 9 makes it more difficult for the DL to stop the run alone as they are rushing up field a lot, they'll get the TFL but at times they might give up runs as well. 

That is one thing I like about JJ. He is an excellent run defender. We have an attacking style of D. Experience will help diagnose run plays quicker.  It really is up to the LB and DB to stop the run for a short gain. I think that’s why Saleh likes fast athletic LB’s. 

40 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

That's only one game, of course things like that can happen. We beat the AFC Champions last year, Mike White outplayed Patrick Mahomes against the Bengals. My issue is having a weakness like run defense that's easily exploitable. Now we obviously have to play the games and I'm basing my assessment off of last year. You did make a good point about how the upgrades in the Secondary could allow us to load the box on early downs so that should help with Whitehead coming in to clean up with Mosley and the linebackers. 

I wasn't trying to excuse bad defenses, just that in the NFL today most defenses are bad.  Like you said before, it is about making crucial stops at key points. Hopefully we can increase the turnovers, get more pressure on the QB and increase sack production, and make stops when absolutely necessary. 

We bring in Larry, this defense should have that DL that is deep and ready to harass the QB. Hopefully this year we don't have significant injuries like the past. I'd love to see Carl Lawson healthy all season, with our other edge guys. This defense needs a front 4 that can bring pressure on the QB, I want to see more games like we saw vs the Titans when the DL was all over Tannehill. I want to see better tackling and angles from the defense as well, there were times when guys just took horrible angles on the runners. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I wasn't trying to excuse bad defenses, just that in the NFL today most defenses are bad.  Like you said before, it is about making crucial stops at key points. Hopefully we can increase the turnovers, get more pressure on the QB and increase sack production, and make stops when absolutely necessary. 

We bring in Larry, this defense should have that DL that is deep and ready to harass the QB. Hopefully this year we don't have significant injuries like the past. I'd love to see Carl Lawson healthy all season, with our other edge guys. This defense needs a front 4 that can bring pressure on the QB, I want to see more games like we saw vs the Titans when the DL was all over Tannehill. I want to see better tackling and angles from the defense as well, there were times when guys just took horrible angles on the runners. 

As much as we loved what we saw in the Titans game that was a team down their best receivers so we had an advantage in attacking them without the threat of getting beat in the passing game. I have faith in the DL getting it done in terms of applying pressure on passing downs, they’re loaded. But on 3rd and 2 with 1:50 left and 1 timeout and we’re down 7 we need that run stop?? I don’t know. Those are the crucial points in a game where no matter how good you played you can lose a game. In order to take advantage of 3rd and long we have to get to 3rd and long if that makes sense.

As of today, we are officially in the red for effective cap space.  Looking at the roster, I do not see a lot of money saving cuts to be made.  If we sign Ogunjobi and cut Rankins, it would most likely be a wash in terms of cap.  There are some lower $ players like McDermott, Hardee and Edoga, but it appears we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.