2K22: Offense

onejayhawk

So how does the offensive dynamic change with a likely OBj hold out? Knowing Reid it wont change much even if our replacement LT is getting killed.

Christian Ive heard is solid but hes journeyman quality, Niang is still hurt, Prince has upside but hasnt seen the field yet, Wylie is Wylie, I doubt Kinnard will be ready. 

im worried Mahomes’ bad habits will start to crawl back if teams are attacking the LT if its a clear weakness. Just like that Tampa SB

I personally am not that worried.   SB he was getting pressured from every angle.   We still have a beastly IOL, which I think is more important with Mahomes.   He’s very good at making the edge guys miss when guys get around the edge.   Or really he’s very good at making guys miss if they aren’t coming from multiple gaps at a time. 

11 hours ago, Chiefer said:

So how does the offensive dynamic change with a likely OBj hold out? Knowing Reid it wont change much even if our replacement LT is getting killed.

Christian Ive heard is solid but hes journeyman quality, Niang is still hurt, Prince has upside but hasnt seen the field yet, Wylie is Wylie, I doubt Kinnard will be ready. 

im worried Mahomes’ bad habits will start to crawl back if teams are attacking the LT if its a clear weakness. Just like that Tampa SB

I am personally not that worried about the OL because Geron Christian is a decent OT who excels at pass protection. Calling him a journeyman is a bit pejorative. The guy has 16 starts even with the short year in 2020. Wylie is also solid but don't bet against Kinnard winning the job out of camp. It's easy to forget that DK was 1st team All-American. His playing style is similar to Trey Smith's so they could mesh well. 

The plan seems to divide Tyreek's load between Skyy as the slot man and MVS as the speed man deep. JuJu takes over for Watson/Robinson which seems an obvious upgrade. Taking some of the load off Kelce, both Fortson and Gray show promise. Another thing that is easy to forget is that Mahomes was still rehabbing from surgery at this time last year. This year he is healthy has had his new WR and TE out to his Texas home to play some catch. I look for the offensive changes to mesh quickly. 

The area that concerns me is the running game. Clyde never took off like we hoped when we drafted him. He has dealt with injuries, but we hoped for better. Behind him are Ron Jones and Jerick McKinnon. Neither inspires confidence. FWIW here is an article saying CEH feels a new sense of urgency. after his first "real" offseason.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/21/clyde-edwards-helaire-feels-sense-of-urgency-after-first-real-nfl-offseason/

Edited by onejayhawk

16 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The strong core on the interior will keep it from being outright bad. Kind of the inverse of when we had Fish and Schwartz as bookends, and even as we rotated pretty mediocre guys in and out at most of the interior spots, the OL was never bad as a whole. And I feel comfortable you could get at least one functional OT out of Kinnard/Niang/Christian. Part of what really killed that superbowl line was no one was particularly good. We've shown in the past we can survive with Remmers at LT or Wylie at RT or Allegretti at LG or Reiter at C....if the guys next to them are actual solid to good players. Wylie was fine next to Trey Smith. Remmers would do okay next to Thuney or Schwartz. We all were fine with Allegretti next to Fish and Wisnieski next to Schwartz. But then once all that's left are the slightly bad guys you can get by with if they're the weakest link on the OL, it's all in shambles.

Andy Reid on if he knows that Orlando Brown Jr. will be at camp: “I don’t know that. If he’s here, great. If not, we move on. We know Joe Thuney can do it in a heartbeat.”

seems like as good an answer as any! So JT at LT, Allegretti at LG to start camp?

with a chance for Christian to fight for playing time or being the swing tackle

Thuney as LT and Allegretti as LG works for me. We get a long look at Christian playing LT with the B-team. RT will be Wiley and Kinnard fighting it out. 

Here is something on one of our secret weapons, Jody Fortson. Given his WR background, it's not surprising that Fortson is a good downfield receiver. What is less understood is that he has learned to block. Noah Gray is our other receiving TE (not named Kelce). He does his best work close to the LOS. The two make a natural set for two TE formations. Hopefully, they can give Kelce a break. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/7/24/23276471/chiefs-tight-end-jody-fortson-is-ready-to-pick-up-right-where-he-left-off-in-2021

Edited by onejayhawk

• 4 weeks later...

Looking ahead to the season, Travis Kelce is set to start moving into the top level of some lists. He could pass Jason Witten for most receptions by a TE in his first 10 seasons. He can also become the 5th TE with 10,000 yards.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/travis_kelce_enters_2022_on_brink_of_tight_end_history/s1_16880_37784063

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Looking ahead to the season, Travis Kelce is set to start moving into the top level of some lists. He could pass Jason Witten for most receptions by a TE in his first 10 seasons. He can also become the 5th TE with 10,000 yards.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/travis_kelce_enters_2022_on_brink_of_tight_end_history/s1_16880_37784063

Idk if he'll ever be able to catch Gronks TD numbers, but he's going to retire with almost every record available

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don’t understand why we have this great run game against the Buccs, with a primarily under shotgun, power heavy scheme, and then immediately move back to the shotgun heavy, RPO run attack against the Raiders and Bills. 

I get Mahomes loves shotgun but it’s severely limiting the offense, we have no Play action game, and I’ve heard plenty of analysts talk about how much it limits an offense and makes it predictable running shotgun so much. 

Also I get I got egg on my face during that Buccs game, but where was those adjustments from Reid against the Bills pass rush?

We went into the 2nd half of the Buccs game and made a concerted effort to chip the ish out of their Ends to help the tackles. That last interception we had an empty shotgun set and Miller predictably destroyed Wylie immediately to push Mahomes out of the pocket and make an errant throw/interception. 

The inconsistent consistency in playcalling game to game always confuses me. 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Also I get I got egg on my face during that Buccs game, but where was those adjustments from Reid against the Bills pass rush?

We went into the 2nd half of the Buccs game and made a concerted effort to chip the ish out of their Ends to help the tackles. That last interception we had an empty shotgun set and Miller predictably destroyed Wylie immediately to push Mahomes out of the pocket and make an errant throw/interception. 

Not gonna lie I saw tons of chips. 🤷

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Smith was supposed to help on Miller on the last INT, he was just late getting over. Humphrey had the LB who was lined up over the A gap if he blitzed (he spied, and then blitzed when Mahomes started to move.) Thuney and Brown blocked well enough. There were only 4 guys in a position to rush the passer, unless someone was going to blitz on a delay from like 5 yards deep (no one did.) From the snap, Trey Smith is staring straight at Miller the entire way. He tried to pull the cheeky move that gets him highlights on Twitter, where he waits until the DE engaged with the RT, then he comes over and knocks him on his ***. Instead, Smith was late getting over, and with the depth Wylie got in his set, by the time Smith engaged, he was shoving Miller towards Mahomes, instead of away.

This fits none of the narratives people prefer, but Wylie was given help that play. Wylie did his job of making sure he didn't get beaten around the edge, since he had help inside. Smith just didn't help when and how he needed to. First two seconds, he blocked no one. Just watched Miller rush Wylie. And then when he did engage, he made it harder on both Wylie and Mahomes. Wylie at least was going to be able to push Miller in front of Mahomes, let him escape to the right. Smith made things worse.

Trey Smith is a great talent, and I think he will be a great G, but he's been inconsistent this year.