2K22: Defense

onejayhawk

35 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

Yeah I meant that start on the field. I think Spags will have the rookies out there early and often

The first round picks, sure. In preseason expect to see a lot of the Day #3 picks. In September, not so much.

The real test is when injuries bite. Those rookies will be our depth this season.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The first round picks, sure. In preseason expect to see a lot of the Day #3 picks. In September, not so much.

The real test is when injuries bite. Those rookies will be our depth this season.

So it's Sneed/McDuffie and who in the slot?

On 7/31/2022 at 7:27 PM, chiefs82 said:

So it's Sneed/McDuffie and who in the slot?

Sneed may play the slot. Our other CB are big and fast so they will do best in press coverage outside. 

This is a long article digging into the players and roles of our pass rush. Individually, there is nothing new, yet as a group they will surprise people. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/8/5/23290179/envisioning-what-the-chiefs-pass-rush-could-look-like-in-2022

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Its been Joshua Williams pretty consistently on the outside in nickel.

Once Fenton gets healthy im sure he replaces JW 

Williams is purely outside press coverage at this point. Whether he has the CB3 job is a different question. Lonnie Johnson is also a press CB but with more versatility. 

When Fenton comes back, I'm not sure it will be to a waiting job. The secondary is seven deep without him--McDuffie, Sneed, Johnson, Williams, Reid, Thornhill, Cook.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Williams is purely outside press coverage at this point. Whether he has the CB3 job is a different question. Lonnie Johnson is also a press CB but with more versatility. 

When Fenton comes back, I'm not sure it will be to a waiting job. The secondary is seven deep without him--McDuffie, Sneed, Johnson, Williams, Reid, Thornhill, Cook.

Yes, and JW has consistently been the 3rd corner on nickel sets, with Sneed moving inside, so far through camp. Although lots of switching going on between all 3. That is technically CB3 with how our defense operates. Have not heard of Lonnie breaking into the 1st team, although im sure he has gotten snaps there like everybody else.

Fenton has shown actual NFL ability and knowledge of Spagz defense so im sure once that shoulder heals fully hell get his job back as CB3. I doubt hes losing his job anytime soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Yes, and JW has consistently been the 3rd corner on nickel sets, with Sneed moving inside, so far through camp. Although lots of switching going on between all 3. That is technically CB3 with how our defense operates. Have not heard of Lonnie breaking into the 1st team, although im sure he has gotten snaps there like everybody else.

Fenton has shown actual NFL ability and knowledge of Spagz defense so im sure once that shoulder heals fully hell get his job back as CB3. I doubt hes losing his job anytime soon

This is the most likely mix to me, IMO. McDuffie and Sneed start outside, when we go to 3 CBs, Sneed moves inside with Fenton starting outside, presuming he is ready and healthy. Williams has impressed so far, but that does not necessarily translate to day one starter at a position like that. Spags even said in one of the recent interviews that Fenton has specifically done a lot of good work outside. So him being that RCB in nickel sets makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Frank Clark has resolved his gun possession issues in California. He missed practice with an illness, but may had other things as well.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article265499891.html

On the DL more generally, Chris Jones thinks they have kicked it up a notch.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/9/8/23341935/chris-jones-says-defensive-line-playing-with-new-urgency

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is frm Game #4 at Tampa Bay, but I'm putting it here because it applies tot eh whole defense. A few oddities about the game--Nick Bolton played all 58 defensive snaps, ie 100%. Chris Jones had 91% and Frank White 88%. Turk Wharton and George Karlatis played a more normal 67% and 64%, with Carlos Dunlap making up the bulk of the remainder. The Chiefs went with their best pass pressure players from the opening snap. Result, 1 sack on a CB blitz.

Here is a film study. It's worth noting that the Chiefs were 4-1-6 more than half of the time yet allowed only 3 yards rushing. Sneed led the team in tackles from a CB slot.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/10/4/23385009/chiefs-pass-rush-struggled-early-came-to-life-late-vs-bradys-bucs

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs defense leads the league in rushing yards at 65.8 yards/game allowed. Why are we suddenly so much better against the run, especially given the amount of nickel that we play? 

It’s skewed by the Bucs only rushing it 6 times. We’ve had the fewest rushing attempts against us in the league. Plus, when we get ahead, teams throw more.

Our pass defense is currently ranked 27th and scoring is 20th I believe.

Also, Karlaftis is good at football. 

41 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

It’s skewed by the Bucs only rushing it 6 times. We’ve had the fewest rushing attempts against us in the league. Plus, when we get ahead, teams throw more.

Your stats are correct. That said we were top 5 rush defense going into the game, Brady's 385 skews the passing numbers, and we have played three top ten offenses in the four games. What's odd is that we are even on the +/-. Winning net turnovers is a Spagnuolo trademark. 

Yes, GK is good and sets a fine edge. Frank Clark has looked much better against the run and of course Nick Bolton. It will be interesting to see how the whole defense plays once everyone is back on the field.

21 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

We're 2nd in the league in yards per attempt against, in run defense. It takes both. The Eagles have had one more rushing attempt against, but 140 more rushing yards.

The volume argument actually works more in favor of the pass defense than it does against the run defense. Only Baltimore has more pass attempts against, and Baltimore, who has 2 more attempts against than us has allowed 210 more passing yards. We're top 10 in yards per pass attempt against.

I do think the scoring is a little skewed. Arizona and Tampa have gotten a lot of meaningless points against us this year. Like a third of the points allowed came when up by 3 scores or something like that. Can't remember the exact number on Twitter. And then LAC had their TD down two scores with ~1 minute left.