2K22: Defense

onejayhawk

38 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-redzone-stats/defense

we’re 2nd in TD allowed in the red zone, only the Lions are worse. and they’re mostly through the air

I'll take that with some salt because we have faced a string of top QB's. Sill, not ideal that we are allowing so many Red Zone chances. 

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

We’re one of the worst teams in the league at defending the deep pass, and red zone defense, not great with Josh Allen coming to town

Not terribly surprising given how young the CBs are. I think they've played well so far considering, and are on track in the long run, but it's a lot to ask of basically 4 rookies in the secondary. At least the youth means there is potential to improve as the season moves on. It's at least not just like, Sorensen again.

The one saving grace against Buffalo is Buffalo really doesn't run. So we'll be more able to leave the safeties back than we were against Vegas. I kept seeing people ask why we didn't double Adams every play, and the answer was what Josh Jacobs was doing to us up front.

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Not terribly surprising given how young the CBs are. I think they've played well so far considering, and are on track in the long run, but it's a lot to ask of basically 4 rookies in the secondary. At least the youth means there is potential to improve as the season moves on. It's at least not just like, Sorensen again.

The one saving grace against Buffalo is Buffalo really doesn't run. So we'll be more able to leave the safeties back than we were against Vegas. I kept seeing people ask why we didn't double Adams every play, and the answer was what Josh Jacobs was doing to us up front.

I think the defense is doing much better don’t get me wrong, prefer them to Sorensen and Neimann starting. But we still lead the league in DPI iirc.

With all those TDs given up through the air in the red zone is alarming, that’s not a leave the safeties back there problem. And that definitely plays into Buffalos strengths with their lack of a real run game. 

This very well could be another Gabe Davis going off kinda game again. We’re still gonna have to keep an eye on JA running the ball up front too. 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:31 AM, onejayhawk said:

So much for leading the league in rush yardage allowed. 

Who spiked Kelce's prune juice? Even for him 4 TD is a game to remember. Not bad for a guy who was never fast and has lost a step. 

He did so with less than 30 yards receiving total. Call it efficiency ... he just knows where to be at the right time.
Nevertheless - unable to watch the game: I was surprised he didn't have more yardage. But obviously he got double coverage all the time ... a good day for others to step up.

3 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

He did so with less than 30 yards receiving total. Call it efficiency ... he just knows where to be at the right time.
Nevertheless - unable to watch the game: I was surprised he didn't have more yardage. But obviously he got double coverage all the time ... a good day for others to step up.

MVS and JuJu gotta step up more, IMO

The Oline needs to protect better. Hear me Brown Jr., Wylie, Allegretti !

Edited by mayanfootball

50 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

MVS and JuJu gotta step up more, IMO

The Oline needs to protect better. Hear me Brown Jr., Wylie, Allegretti !

That's nice--in another thread. This one is on the defense. Trust me, there is enough to post about on that side of the ball.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an article claiming that the DL is actually better than we thought. I can see the argument. Chris Jones is having a great year. Mike Danna and Kahlen Saunders have emerged as important rotation players. Carlos Dunlap has earned his money. We have pressures, we have sacks, and we have lots of batted passes. If we had a more experienced secondary and one more edge rusher this could be any elite defense.

Still, the key is bang for the buck. The Chiefs are bottom third in resources invested in DL, based on player draft position. That's what this analysis is about. Interesting.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/22/23520216/chiefs-defensive-line-performing-above-expectation 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

This is an article claiming that the DL is actually better than we thought. I can see the argument. Chris Jones is having a great year. Mike Danna and Kahlen Saunders have emerged as important rotation players. Carlos Dunlap has earned his money. We have pressures, we have sacks, and we have lots of batted passes. If we had a more experienced secondary and one more edge rusher this could be any elite defense.

Still, the key is bang for the buck. The Chiefs are bottom third in resources invested in DL, based on player draft position. That's what this analysis is about. Interesting.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/22/23520216/chiefs-defensive-line-performing-above-expectation 

I find this article to have something for everybody. Therefore it actually make a case for no-one, whatever side of the fence you're on: "The Chiefs are spending too much on the Dline" or "The Chiefs aren't spending enough on the Dline."