2023 Draft Talk

swede700

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I would prefer to not take a WR early. If we had a QB that could extend plays constantly, I could see the appeal, but as we saw at times Cousins struggles to get the ball to JJ. 

Give me a) QB b) DL c) DB

(last year i wanted Jordan Davis, and DL is still a need now)

This is a take made whilst wearing blinders. 

• Like 1

I’m hoping we can flip our first round pick for an early 2nd and 3rd. I think that’s where the value at DL and LB will be. 

Assuming we resign PP7 and Shelley, I’m ok going into next year with him, Shelley, Dantzler and seeing the progress Evans and Booth make (hoping Booth stays healthy). 

• Like 4

I don’t see us remotely fixing the defense this year, regardless of who we hire. Fix the pass rush and D-Line. Every other part of the defense will be benefit when that happens.  You don’t need the first round pick to do that. Make cap room and sign some players. I too think going into the season with Shelley, Dantzler, Peterson (though I’m not too keen on bringing him back), Booth Jr. and Evans, works fine.  They’ll get better and play better if we do our job upfront. 

I would honestly hate to see them draft defense with the first pick. But that’s just me. 

3 hours ago, Morlee said:

I don’t see us remotely fixing the defense this year, regardless of who we hire. Fix the pass rush and D-Line. Every other part of the defense will be benefit when that happens.  You don’t need the first round pick to do that. Make cap room and sign some players. I too think going into the season with Shelley, Dantzler, Peterson (though I’m not too keen on bringing him back), Booth Jr. and Evans, works fine.  They’ll get better and play better if we do our job upfront. 

I would honestly hate to see them draft defense with the first pick. But that’s just me. 

Well, I'm not sure if you remember 2103 to 2014 . . . Or maybe the digression after Floyd Peters and the Tony Dungy left, but DC changes impact the players and the team.   I wasn't a fan of the Dontell hire so, good riddance.  

But, to say the 2023 Vikings defense will perform as badly as this year?   Nah.  

A 28-year old pair of Hunter and Phillips is a good start.  Trading Kendricks would be an understood move.   Not resigning Tomlinson could be problematic, but the value may not be there.

IF the Vikes trade down into the high 20's and pick up a 4th and still land Siaki Ika I'd call that a huge win.   I do believe Henley from WA St is underrated right now . . . I'm thinking we need to see his speed and footwork at the combine, but if he lasts until rd 3, he'd be a good pick up.  

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I am falling in love with Anthony Richardson. Especially with the idea of sitting him behind Cousins for a year. 

He's going top 10 unfortunately.

I'm not going to let myself form a draft crush because there's next to no chance we get him

13 hours ago, Morlee said:

I don't think we're a million miles away from fielding a competent defense (maybe 9th-16th in the league).

I think we absolutely need to layer on some more talent players with speed to the back seven. KAM started this process with asamoah, cine, booth and Evans. 

If we can add more talent to the back seven and also draft some interior pass rush to complement our great edge room we can see a turn around quickly.

• Like 1

Two-time national champion quarterback Stetson Bennett has landed in some legal trouble in Dallas.

Police told WFAA that Bennett was arrested around 6 a.m. on Sunday for public intoxication. Officers responded to calls about a man banging on doors and encountered Bennett, although it’s not clear if he was the one doing the banging. Officers “determined he was intoxicated” and he was taken to a city detention center after being arrested.

Bennett quarterbacked Georgia to the national championship the last two seasons and he was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy in 2022. He threw for 4,127 yards and 27 touchdowns during his final collegiate season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/29/stetson-bennett-arrested-for-public-intoxication/