2023 Draft Talk

swede700

I heard Schmitz had a great week too, but didn't Bradbury get similar reviews?   I guess I'm torn about going a new direction at center when the new guy is likely a physical clone of the current guy.   

If we get a Center who can anchor-up against 350 lb NTs, or big 3Ts who rush, then we stand a better chance in both the pass and run games.   The pivot is so critical and we were spoiled for so long . . . Need to get it right for the long haul.

2 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I heard Schmitz had a great week too, but didn't Bradbury get similar reviews?   I guess I'm torn about going a new direction at center when the new guy is likely a physical clone of the current guy.   

If we get a Center who can anchor-up against 350 lb NTs, or big 3Ts who rush, then we stand a better chance in both the pass and run games.   The pivot is so critical and we were spoiled for so long . . . Need to get it right for the long haul.

That is why I originally leaned toward Oluwatimi but Schmitz is solid and does not get pushed around.  Will be interesting how athletic he tests out, because honestly that is why Bradbury was drafted so high because of his speed and power but obviously he does not have that much power.

Schmitz would be cheaper, especially if they give Bradbury a new contract so there is that as well.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Maybe I am too high on Jarrett Patterson, some do not think as much of him but if he was around at the Vikings pick he would be ideal and I would take him over Schmitz.  Patterson can play OG as well and even RT if need be, amazing versatility and has not allowed a sack in his 5 year college career of around some 1600+ pass blocking snaps.  

He is not as athletic at Schmitz but his guard versatility is super interesting for a team that always needs guards it seems.  

Rather than consider trading the 1st round pick to recoup the 2nd round pick used to obtain 'Hockeystick', why not take the philosophical position that the Vikings FO already used that pick to draft an NFL TOP 5 TE?

Ten icky Picks Rick would never agree with that philosophy.  He's no longer the GM.  Coincidence, or correlated?

Edited by Purplexing
add key word 'not' between why and take.

17 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Rather than consider trading the 1st round pick to recoup the 2nd round pick used to obtain 'Hockeystick', why not take the philosophical position that the Vikings FO already used that pick to draft an NFL TOP 5 TE?

Ten icky Picks Rick would never agree with that philosophy.  He's no longer the GM.  Coincidence, or correlated?

I’m sorry, but what?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn’t hate McKee in the 3rd. But it’s doubtful he’ll be there. 

I don't particularly like the idea of drafting a QB in spots other than the 1st and 6th/7th rounds because of the availability of potential starters/early contributors in rounds 2-5 at other positions. For every Kirk Cousins, there's 30 Kellen Monds. 

• Like 4

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

I figured we would look that way with Flores in the mix.

True, Flores is no fool and the Vikings have pretty crap corners in terms of change of direction, arguably none of them can play the slot, not even close to it.  Flores comes from being at New England for a long time and they know how to draft and develop defensive backs and who to draft.

Vikings have decent size at corner and strength but they need to get a quick corner who can move and change directions.  Sullivan was so awful at it and Booth is not great either with it.  Dantzler is not super mobile either.  

Clark Phillips III would be the best in that regard in the 1st round range, Witherspoon probably after that.  Guys like Porter and Ringo are good but not great change of direction.  Antonio Johnson not sure because honestly he is a safety type but does have amazing tackling skills in the slot and length but we already have that in Evans who is a long corner who can tackle.  Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson has good movement skills but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick unless he does great at the combine.  So if Phillips is gone and maybe Witherspoon I would pass on corner and get a center.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True, Flores is no fool and the Vikings have pretty crap corners in terms of change of direction, arguably none of them can play the slot, not even close to it.  Flores comes from being at New England for a long time and they know how to draft and develop defensive backs and who to draft.

Vikings have decent size at corner and strength but they need to get a quick corner who can move and change directions.  Sullivan was so awful at it and Booth is not great either with it.  Dantzler is not super mobile either.  

Clark Phillips III would be the best in that regard in the 1st round range, Witherspoon probably after that.  Guys like Porter and Ringo are good but not great change of direction.  Antonio Johnson not sure because honestly he is a safety type but does have amazing tackling skills in the slot and length but we already have that in Evans who is a long corner who can tackle.  Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson has good movement skills but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick unless he does great at the combine.  So if Phillips is gone and maybe Witherspoon I would pass on corner and get a center.

Witherspoon will be a top 10 pick though!