2023 Draft Talk

swede700

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not expecting them to shell out a lot for a FA nose tackle, but I’d like to find one relatively early in the draft. 

I would have zero issue with using their 1st on Ika.

I agree.  I still believe everything starts with the DL, and primarily the NT in this new defensive scheme, and while Tonga is fine, I think they can upgrade on him and keep him in a rotation.  With as deep as the CB class is, I'd much rather wait and grab 1 or 2 later.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  I still believe everything starts with the DL, and primarily the NT in this new defensive scheme, and while Tonga is fine, I think they can upgrade on him and keep him in a rotation.  With as deep as the CB class is, I'd much rather wait and grab 1 or 2 later.  

7 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Thoughts on where Tyjae Spears ends up? I thought forever he would end up a steal but he seems to keep rising.

Me too!   I watched his bowl game against USC while I was in New Orleans over New Year.  He's a big ticket down there, but nationally, he's putting it all out there.   I was thinking he'd last into Rd 4 or 5, but given his Senior Bowl and depending on his Combine, think he climbs into late Rd 2 oe early 3rd. He'd be a phenomenal replacement if Cook is traded . . . Hint, hint Houston - give us your 3rd for Dalvin Cook!

I think if we're talking NTs, Siaki Ika and Mazi Smith need to be in the convo along with Dexter and Keondre Coburn.   If Ika or Smith blow up the combine measurements plus . . . 5.00 40, quick 3 cone and shuttle, 40+ reps, and decent jumps, one would almost certainly consider using #23 overall.

If however, there isn't the warranted separation between prospects, looking for an extra 3rd would be a way to get one of the other guys that fits the role.   I think back to the greatest 3-4 fronts and there was always a Wilfork, Ngata, Siragusa, or Hampton clogging up the middle and making QB jittery.  

The Vikes haven't had a DT or NT be consistently dominate since . . . K-Will or maybe Linval?

• Like 1

I want a dominant DT!  I think if Bryan Bresee is there at our pick then we have to take him. He dealt with some injuries and personal issues in college, but he would easily be a top 10 pick otherwise.  He has the potential to be a Kevin Williams type of 3 or 5 tech depending on the scheme.  He was a top prospect coming out a high school because of his freakish athleticism and was bench pressing over 400 lbs when he was only 17.  He can play just about anywhere on the DL too.  On his highlight tape I saw him successfully pull a Dwight Freeney-esque spin move on an opposing OT which I thought was really impressive for someone that’s over 300 lbs.  He could be the Christian Wilkins type of player for us.

We can get good CB depth outside of the 1st round.  There is a lot of good DBs this year.

36 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I think if we're talking NTs, Siaki Ika and Mazi Smith need to be in the convo along with Dexter and Keondre Coburn.   If Ika or Smith blow up the combine measurements plus . . . 5.00 40, quick 3 cone and shuttle, 40+ reps, and decent jumps, one would almost certainly consider using #23 overall.

If however, there isn't the warranted separation between prospects, looking for an extra 3rd would be a way to get one of the other guys that fits the role.   I think back to the greatest 3-4 fronts and there was always a Wilfork, Ngata, Siragusa, or Hampton clogging up the middle and making QB jittery.  

The Vikes haven't had a DT or NT be consistently dominate since . . . K-Will or maybe Linval?

Didn't Linval make the Pro Bowl at least one year when he was with us?

2 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

I want a dominant DT!  I think if Bryan Bresee is there at our pick then we have to take him. He dealt with some injuries and personal issues in college, but he would easily be a top 10 pick otherwise.  He has the potential to be a Kevin Williams type of 3 or 5 tech depending on the scheme.  He was a top prospect coming out a high school because of his freakish athleticism and was bench pressing over 400 lbs when he was only 17.  He can play just about anywhere on the DL too.  On his highlight tape I saw him successfully pull a Dwight Freeney-esque spin move on an opposing OT which I thought was really impressive for someone that’s over 300 lbs.  He could be the Christian Wilkins type of player for us.

We can get good CB depth outside of the 1st round.  There is a lot of good DBs this year.

Agreed Bresee would be interesting but I see Washington taking him well before the Vikings pick because they badly need DT help with possibly losing Payne in free agency.  If not Detroit needs DT help also and they could pick Bresee or Lukas Van Ness.

CB depth is decent but honestly in the late 3rd round, it is not all that great.  Mullen I have there in the 3rd but a ton of good ones would be well gone by the 3rd.

Christian Gonzalez Oregon RS SOPH
Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH
Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR
Joey Porter Jr Penn State RS JR
Devon Witherspoon Illinois RS JR
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU
Emmanuel Forbes Miss State JR
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR
Cam Smith South Carolina JR
DJ Turner Michigan
Jartavius Martin Illinois
Eli Ricks Alabama JR

I have Ricks actually in that bottom 3rd range but he could easily go before that as well.  So waiting for CB till later might not be all that great unless one is very high on one of these guys.  Mind you only one, Mullen can play the slot honestly and that is the biggest need on the team currently.  On the above list 7 of those guys could play slot corner if asked and do well.

Cory Trice Purdue RS
Eli Ricks Alabama JR
Jarrick Bernard-Converse LSU RS
Tiawan Mullen Indiana
Mekhi Blackmon USC RS
Riley Moss Iowa RS
Steven Gilmore Marshall
DJ Ivey Miami FL RS
Julius Brents Kansas State RS
Terell Smith Minnesota RS

• Like 1

The 2023 NFL Draft will be held in Kansas City, Missouri, on April 27-29. The first round will be on April 27 while the second and third rounds will be on April 28. The final four rounds will conclude this year's draft on April 29.

The Vikings have drafted at No. 23 overall four times in franchise history, most recently selecting left tackle Christian Darrisaw in 2021. Minnesota has also drafted wide receiver Laquon Treadwell (2016), defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (2013) and receiver Lance Rentzel (1965).

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-mock-draft-tracker-version-3-0?fbclid=IwAR3aPbukmjMkHwJUXOp0CkEe-iYcKa2mrWC9c-w8hrsfH-VJfk8clkJG4LU

rock the casbah.