2023 Draft Talk

swede700

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35608911/2023-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-post-super-bowl-predictions-31-first-round-picks-quarterback-landing-spots-projected-trade

23. Minnesota Vikings

Jordan Addison, WR, USC

Adam Thielen is entering his age-33 season, so Minnesota could take the best player available here and get a speedy, instinctive running mate for Justin Jefferson. Addison was just shy of 1,600 receiving yards in 2021 at Pitt before transferring to USC and picking up another 875 yards and eight scores. He has versatility to line up outside or in the slot.

For those wondering why the Vikings would sidestep their defensive needs -- they allowed 5.9 yards per play in 2022, third highest in the NFL -- it really comes down to the board. Texas A&M safety Antonio Johnson or Arkansas linebacker Drew Sanders might fit, but this is still early for both. Remember, free agency still lies ahead ...

Been seeing WR a few more times recently and depending on the WR, I wouldn't hate it.  I like Addison a lot. I like JSN a lot. I think both fit well with Jefferson. I'm not sure I see any other WR that would be worth it in the first. It's really a sub par WR class this year.

• Like 1

Here is Alec Lewis' (The Athletic) big board of options that might be available at #23...Thoughts on any of them?

Round 1, No. 23 Options
PLAYER

SCHOOL

POSITION

HT, WT

Deonte Banks
CB
6-0, 207
Drew Sanders
LB
6-5, 232
Nolan Smith
Edge
6-3, 237
Kelee Ringo
CB
6-2, 210
Emmanuel Forbes
CB
6-0, 180
Keion White
Edge
6-4, 283
Trenton Simpson
LB
6-3, 234
BJ Ojulari
team-logo-267-50x50.pngLSU
Edge
6-3, 245
Calijah Kancey
DT
6-0, 275
Darnell Washington
TE
6-7, 280

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Here is Alec Lewis' (The Athletic) big board of options that might be available at #23...Thoughts on any of them?

Round 1, No. 23 Options
PLAYER

SCHOOL

POSITION

HT, WT

Deonte Banks
CB
6-0, 207
Drew Sanders
LB
6-5, 232
Nolan Smith
Edge
6-3, 237
Kelee Ringo
CB
6-2, 210
Emmanuel Forbes
CB
6-0, 180
Keion White
Edge
6-4, 283
Trenton Simpson
LB
6-3, 234
BJ Ojulari
team-logo-267-50x50.pngLSU
Edge
6-3, 245
Calijah Kancey
DT
6-0, 275
Darnell Washington
TE
6-7, 280

I hate that they are all defensive players from a value perspective (I think they will go defense, but the coverage of the Vikings is basically that they won't even look at offensive players that could be there), but out of that group I am taking Ringo. Perfect scheme fit, fills a need, insanely high ceiling. That's about where he's projected to go based on a consensus big board that I saw.

How would people feel if the Vikings traded their 1st and 3rd this year, and they’re 1st next year to move up for a QB?

I keep looking at Philly sitting at the 10th pick, and given Roseman’s affinity to trade down, could they be a trade partner with the Vikings to go after a QB? 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How would people feel if the Vikings traded their 1st and 3rd this year, and they’re 1st next year to move up for a QB?

I keep looking at Philly sitting at the 10th pick, and given Roseman’s affinity to trade down, could they be a trade partner with the Vikings to go after a QB? 

I would hate it. There's no need to gamble already scarce draft capital on the 3rd best QB in the draft (I'm assuming at 10 Richardson would be the best left) that does not look like a sure thing. I'd be more inclined to trade down and try to GET a first next year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Which one would be there? I don't know.....I'd rather trade for more firsts next year, and get the BEST QB next year. 

• Like 2

Just now, JDBrocks said:

I would hate it. There's no need to gamble already scarce draft capital on the 3rd best QB in the draft (I'm assuming at 10 Richardson would be the best left) that does not look like a sure thing. I'd be more inclined to trade down and try to GET a first next year.

ninjad!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If he's the guy, I certainly don't have an issue with it.  Obviously they would have to love him to do that.  The Chiefs still ended up with more picks in 2017 and 2018 than what the Vikings have currently, but I'd like it that they took a big swing. It could certainly blow up in their face, but we haven't seen them take such a big swing in a helluva long time.

Edit:  Now that I see the responses above, I'd like to remind people that many have been clamoring for the Vikings to take a risk to get their future QB, and now you'd complain that they would because of scarce resources?  C'mon, man!    😂

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1