2023 Draft Talk

swede700

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If he's the guy, I certainly don't have an issue with it.  Obviously they would have to love him to do that.  The Chiefs still ended up with more picks in 2017 and 2018 than what the Vikings have currently, but I'd like it that they took a big swing. It could certainly blow up in their face, but we haven't seen them take such a big swing in a helluva long time.

Edit:  Now that I see the responses above, I'd like to remind people that many have been clamoring for the Vikings to take a risk to get their future QB, and now you'd complain that they would because of scarce resources?  C'mon, man!    😂

I'm not convinced there is a QB I LOVE at that spot this year, if you are referring to my response...

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If he's the guy, I certainly don't have an issue with it.  Obviously they would have to love him to do that.  The Chiefs still ended up with more picks in 2017 and 2018 than what the Vikings have currently, but I'd like it that they took a big swing. It could certainly blow up in their face, but we haven't seen them take such a big swing in a helluva long time.

Edit:  Now that I see the responses above, I'd like to remind people that many have been clamoring for the Vikings to take a risk to get their future QB, and now you'd complain that they would because of scarce resources?  C'mon, man!    😂

I don't want them to gamble on Jake Locker or Christian Ponder. I want them to go get Cam Newton. They don't have the juice to go get Bryce Young. I'm not even sure Bryce Young or CJ Stroud is THAT GUY. Save your ammo and get Caleb Williams next year. That's a guy I'm sure of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't want them to gamble on Jake Locker or Christian Ponder. I want them to go get Cam Newton. They don't have the juice to go get Bryce Young. I'm not even sure Bryce Young or CJ Stroud is THAT GUY. Save your ammo and get Caleb Williams next year. That's a guy I'm sure of.

He'll also probably be more difficult to get.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would love to get a player with the physical upside of Anthony Richardson to sit behind Cousins for a year. 

I don't see him lasting that long. I think I'd take the chance you are suggesting for him if did, though, though Kirk wouldn't like it and I'm not sure how that would work out. If I'm LV, I just take him there.....

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d rather have Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. 

And you have to know that the Vikings are just not going to be a team that’s bad enough to get the #1

I think you get the point that I was trying to make. Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen were big gambles that happened to work out, and perhaps I'm a little gun shy about the Vikings being able to work it out in their favor. Cam Newton was the guy (I hated him as a prospect if you go back and look), and he lived up to his draft slot. If they are going to mortgage the future, I want Lawrence, Luck, Newton, Burrow, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He'll also probably be more difficult to get.

definitely, but it's worth it to pay the price. If you land a face of the franchise QB you have up to 7 years (5th year option and 2 franchise years) to figure everything else out. 

Hear me out... we're going to extend Kirk Cousins annually until Arch Manning's draft class and everyone here will hate each other because we have to keep having the QB discussion 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But those QBs are never going to be available. Prospects like that are never for sale. 

Then I don't want to gamble haha.

I only want to be that aggressive in the draft if I'm 100% positive that he's the guy. You're right that there aren't many opportunities to take those "generational" talents, but there are too many other ways to win in the NFL lately it seems. For Super Bowl winners, in the last 4 years we've seen: a rookie deal QB, a free agent QB, a better than average veteran acquired via trade, and a mega deal QB taking 17% of the cap.

I guess I'm not missing out on a shot to make the entire team stronger for Anthony Richardson is what I'm saying. If he falls to 23 and they take him, great. I'm not giving up all of the top 100 picks we have this year PLUS next year's first for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I guess I'm not missing out on a shot to make the entire team stronger for Anthony Richardson is what I'm saying. If he falls to 23 and they take him, great. I'm not giving up all of the top 100 picks we have this year PLUS next year's first for him.

I believe I pretty much said the same thing about Patrick Mahomes...if I looked up our conversations during the draft then, I thought they were crazy.  I was wrong.  Completely wrong.  But, if the Vikings' brass loves a guy like Richardson enough to make that trade to do so, I'm in, until proven otherwise.  It's not like the Tarvaris situation, where before the draft he was projected to go in the 7th round and we took him in the 2nd.