2023 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm not convinced there is a QB I LOVE at that spot this year, if you are referring to my response...

I'm not sure I do either, but then again, I really haven't done a whole lot of research into them.  I know I don't put Stroud or Young in that love category based on what I know about them.

I might even feel differently if they had more draft capital this year. It would just feel like punting on this season and that doesn't seem like the right thing to do based on the current NFC landscape.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I might even feel differently if they had more draft capital this year. It would just feel like punting on this season and that doesn't seem like the right thing to do based on the current NFC landscape.

Their draft classes haven’t exactly gone on to help much during their rookie seasons, as it is. Intentionally drafting for the future isn’t likely going to hurt them in the short term. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Their draft classes haven’t exactly gone on to help much during their rookie seasons, as it is. Intentionally drafting for the future isn’t likely going to hurt them in the short term. 

Agreed.  But then again, I'm not really all that concerned about the short term.  While the NFC landscape may look appealing to make a run, the current make-up of this team doesn't look appealing enough to cash in on it, no matter what short-term moves they can make.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We're one draft into this regime, and all of their picks were hurt....I'm not ready to make assumptions yet. YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

We're one draft into this regime, and all of their picks were hurt....I'm not ready to make assumptions yet. YMMV, of course.

It has nothing to do with this regime or last regime. You don’t draft for immediate results. The ultimate purpose of the draft is to build for the long term. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It has nothing to do with this regime or last regime. You don’t draft for immediate results. The ultimate purpose of the draft is to build for the long term. 

If we are going to disagree on the number of rookies that matter, we are just not going to agree on anything. This is one reason Zimmer sucked, not playing JJ right away because he was a rookie. It's bunk teams don't expect any rookies to contribute asap.

Edited by PrplChilPill
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If we did want to redshirt a rookie QB taken in the 1st round, it does line up with Cousins final year (this coming year). 

True but all the good ones will be gone by the Vikings pick in the 1st round, Young, Stroud, Levis and Richardson should all be long gone.  Hooker should be gone by the 2nd but maybe medically he does not look so good and falls, even then not sure he falls to the Vikings pick in the 3rd.  Jaren Hall might be around in the 3rd or Duggan in the 4th or 5th.  

So not sure this is the draft in terms of QB depth that is next year which will have insane QB depth.  

Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Caleb Williams USC JR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS SR
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Bo Nix Oregon RS SR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS SR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS SR
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS SR
Devin Leary Kentucky RS SR
Jayden Daniels LSU RS SR
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS SR
Cameron Rising Utah RS 
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS
Spencer Sanders NA RS
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS
Jeff Sims Nebraska
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS
Jalon Daniels Kansas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

I’m not going to lie, the idea of drew sanders in a Brian Flores amoeba pressure cover 0 defense, excites me too much. 

I better not tell my wife. 

So you view Drew Sanders as their 1st round pick then and they then cut Hicks or Kendricks?  No way Drew Sanders plays OLB for a team that honestly that is their only deep position currently on defense.

Maybe he is worth that high of selection but unless they cut Hicks or Kendricks there is no reason to go ILB until C, CB and DL is filled.  Also not sure Drew Sanders would be a better ILB than Jack Campbell but he sure does look a bit more athletic on tape and is more versatile with some experience as a edge rusher as well.  

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe he is worth that high of selection but unless they cut Hicks or Kendricks

I’m pretty confident they are going to cut both Hicks and kendricks and save north of 14m against the cap. 

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

If we are going to disagree on the number of rookies that matter, we are just not going to agree on anything. This is one reason Zimmer sucked, not playing JJ right away because he was a rookie. It's bunk teams don't expect any rookies to contribute asap.

I think it all depends. Not every draft pick should be considered someone who has to be in wings waiting for their opportunity or they have to be a contributor from day 1. It's all dependent on the makeup of the team. 

In 2020, we sat JJ because we figured Olabisi Johnson could be a reliable starter. We also started Gladney and Dantzler that year because we had nobody else, and Mike Hughes couldn't stay healthy.