Traded 23 for 37 and 51.

37: Bijan Robinson RB Texas
51: Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
87: Darius Rush CB South Carolina
119: Zacch Pickens DI South Carolina
160: Juice Scruggs C Penn State
177: Julius Brents CB K-State

The odds of the trade happening were about 26% according to the PFF System

NO CHANCE I take a RB before round 4 or 5. Zero. I'd do that trade, but then take a DL or ILB or DB. 

30 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Did a PFF mock draft:

Traded 23 for 37 and 51.

Would be wild to have an analytical GM take a RB and a off ball LB with his first two picks! Meltdowns everywhere.

On 2/15/2023 at 7:35 PM, Ozzy said:

True but all the good ones will be gone by the Vikings pick in the 1st round, Young, Stroud, Levis and Richardson should all be long gone.  Hooker should be gone by the 2nd but maybe medically he does not look so good and falls, even then not sure he falls to the Vikings pick in the 3rd.  Jaren Hall might be around in the 3rd or Duggan in the 4th or 5th.  

So not sure this is the draft in terms of QB depth that is next year which will have insane QB depth.  

Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Caleb Williams USC JR
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS SR
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Bo Nix Oregon RS SR
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS SR
Jordan Travis Florida State RS SR
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS SR
Devin Leary Kentucky RS SR
Jayden Daniels LSU RS SR
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS SR
Cameron Rising Utah RS 
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS
Spencer Sanders NA RS
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS
Jeff Sims Nebraska
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS
Jalon Daniels Kansas

I see 2 guys who go in the first from that list.

31 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I see 2 guys who go in the first from that list.

Maybe but both Maye and Williams would be picked over Bryce Young, Stroud, Richardson and Levis I feel if they were in this years draft.

And it is not about who goes in the 1st round it is the depth and quality one could get in the early, middle, late and UDFA part of the draft.  But if guys have great seasons their could be 4-5 of the QBs next year go in the 1st.  Those other guys being maybe Rattler, McCarthy, Penix, Nix or Travis.  

If the Vikings want a developmental backup QB next year is the year to get that especially with only a few draft picks, not sure they will pull it off this year.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:16 AM, The Gnat said:

Did a PFF mock draft:

Traded 23 for 37 and 51.

I would not hate that draft, assuming Cook is cut but Simpson not sure I would want him honestly.  Very raw still, Pickens is an interesting player I need to watch more of him and Scruggs could be a great center and good value later in the draft potentially.  Brents I like at CB but he is not athletic enough side to side and not sure Darius Rush is all that great either outside of all the Senior Bowl hype.

This is who I have the Vikings getting currently, would love Cory Durden as a NT type who is active and tough at the point of attack.  And Harrison is just a massive dude who can really knife into the backfield as well, both could be very good in a 3/4 D, and Schmitz to replace Bradbury of course and Mullen to give some much needed athletic ability and quickness at CB.

1st
24. Minnesota Vikings: John Michael Schmitz Minnesota RS SR C

3rd
88. Minnesota Vikings: Zach Harrison Ohio State SR DE

4th
120. Minnesota Vikings (via Detroit Lions): Tiawan Mullen Indiana SR CB

5th
161. Minnesota Vikings: Cory Durden NC State RS SR DT
*178. Minnesota Vikings: Malik Knowles Kansas State RS SR WR

• Like 1

24. Minnesota Vikings: Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

Selecting a cornerback made sense. Trading down was also an option. Bryan Bresee, though, plugs a key gap in the Vikings’ roster. He has pass-rushing potential for a defensive line that needs it, especially considering the Vikings’ current depth at the position. 

https://theathletic.com/4237135/2023/02/23/nfl-mock-draft-team-by-team/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

I would not take him over John Michael Schmitz but is kind of odd to even think because either Washington will take him, Detroit will take him or maybe Tampa Bay will take Bresee potentially.  

Not very likely he falls to Minnesota and not sure he is a fit in a 3/4 D, sure he could play DE potentially if asked but he would be better in a 4/3.  If they got him thought it would not be awful.

Still it would be amazing if Clark Phillips III drops to the Vikings pick but most likely the Steelers or the Ravens take him or Tampa Bay might as well.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would not take him over John Michael Schmitz but is kind of odd to even think because either Washington will take him, Detroit will take him or maybe Tampa Bay will take Bresee potentially.  

Not very likely he falls to Minnesota and not sure he is a fit in a 3/4 D, sure he could play DE potentially if asked but he would be better in a 4/3.  If they got him thought it would not be awful.

Still it would be amazing if Clark Phillips III drops to the Vikings pick but most likely the Steelers or the Ravens take him or Tampa Bay might as well.  

While he appears to be more suited to play as a 3T, he certainly has the frame to play DE in the 3-4, which is where he'd play.  It'd be nice to have someone who actually can penetrate from that position, as that really isn't either Tomlinson's or Phillips' strong suits.  

On your other point, I've made pretty clear that I'm not that fond of drafting a CB in the 1st, especially with how deep this class is.  While I'm not opposed to it, that'd almost certainly be my last resort after DL and LB on defense or even QB or WR on offense.  I like Phillips as well, and do think he'll be there (his size goes against him), but if there's another option at another position, even if graded a little lower, I'm taking that guy instead of Phillips.