2023 Draft Talk

swede700

23. Minnesota Vikings

Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland

New mock draft, same position the Vikings should target. New defensive coordinator Brian Flores wants to be aggressive, but he needs the cornerbacks to do that, even if free agent Patrick Peterson returns.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35742992/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-round-predictions-31-picks-best-team-fits-top-prospects-second-version

Old Man Mel likes Banks for the VIkings.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Banks, Dantzler, Shelley, Evans & Booth would be a solid young core. I would lean towards getting Emmanuel Forbes though. Even though Banks looks bigger and stronger, Forbes is an interception machine, and we need a guy like that. QBs will be scared to throw his way. Then if we can add a veteran in free agency, like Cam Sutton or even bring back Peterson once more, we’d be set at CB. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Banks, Dantzler, Shelley, Evans & Booth would be a solid young core. I would lean towards getting Emmanuel Forbes though. Even though Banks looks bigger and stronger, Forbes is an interception machine, and we need a guy like that. QBs will be scared to throw his way. Then if we can add a veteran in free agency, like Cam Sutton or even bring back Peterson once more, we’d be set at CB. 

I have not seen much of Banks, might have to check him out.  Never really stood out the times I watched Maryland and he is not super productive, curious what all the hype is about.

I must say if those are the corners we have, that is a problem because zero of them can play in the slot so that is a massive issue.  They could not go into a season with only Banks, Dantzler, Shelley, Evans and Booth.  Shelley you would think could play the slot but not sure he ever has really, he should be able to but if not none of those other guys could either.

As for Brian Branch, he cannot play slot corner, he can play on the edge and cover the TE but he could not cover receivers really well at Bama especially small fast ones.  He is great blitzing and attacking the QB along with coming down on run plays to make tackles, he can cover but I would never put him as a outside corner and not sure he could handle pure slot duties outside of TE coverage or a quick screen tackles.  Solid player though and one of the better safeties in the draft.

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

@OzzyWhile not necessarily ideal, under that scenario, they could train Booth to play in the slot.  He's got the appropriate build to play that position.  He even played there some at Clemson.

Did he play slot at Clemson, I do not recall much of that what so ever.  AJ Terrell and Kendrick were the outside corners and maybe Booth played a bit of slot but not so certain of that and honestly did not play much at all that first year, then Kendrick and Booth were the outside corners in 2nd year then Goodrich and Booth were the outside corners his third year.

Can he me taught to play the slot, not sure because again he does not have the movement skills, quickness or anticipation honestly.  Sure he can crash down and make tackles aggressively but side to side movements not sure he can do it.  

Possibly Dantzler but again it is just putting guys there that should not be there.  We need an upgrade from Sullivan who that is all he did since he has been in the NFL and he sucks at it so I would sure hope one could upgrade from that.  Hoping guys who are not slot corners physically or in terms of experience figure it out, not the best idea.

I think I said it before, but the Patriots last year on their roster had 5 guys who could play slot corner if asked and three if not more could do it very well.  Vikings had zero all season basically, and 1 guy who did it poorly from the get go.  Curious the relationship Flores has with Jonathan Jones, that dude is a baller and what got around $7 mil a year, sadly not sure the Vikings can afford that.  

He would probably be gone in the 2nd but Jammie Robinson is a guy who could play slot corner, safety or outside corner.  Dude has outstanding versatility, and Hodges-Tomlinson could play inside or outside, same with Phillips.  And Antonio Johnson could do slot corner or safety as well which is impressive.  

Just two groups where you have multiple players who can play slot corner and did, 2010 it was not nearly as big as it is now having a slot corner but Winfield could do it all, Allen could play the slot and so could Lito even though he did not play a ton.  2015 for sure Newman played the slot a lot, sometimes Munnerlyn and Sherels could if asked also.  

2015:
X. Rhodes
T. Newman
T. Waynes
C. Munnerlyn
M. Sherels

2010:
A. Winfield
Chris Cook
Asher Allen
Lito Shepard

Vikings in the "new" system clearly went for size at the CB spot last year and did not work out well because they could not run with the receivers, Sullivan especially.  

Hopefully they can get some versatile corners that are not just tall guys but guys but guys who can play with quickness and anticipation.  Essang Bassey, Myles Bryant, David Long and Thomas Graham Jr could all be decent slot corners and could be moderately cheap but a rookie would be cheaper than they are, they would just have to get it right on the rookie.  

FWIW, Booth played slot at Clemson in 2020.  And everywhere I read says he does have the traits to play slot, just hasn't done it...I consider him very similar in description to what Mackensie was coming out of Clemson as well.  Mackensie certainly was more suited physically to playing slot than Booth is, but I wouldn't rule it out, because even if they bring in someone else to start it, they certainly need someone to back him up...he can be the Mackensie to whoever is Terence Newman.  So, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting another outside corner (not preferably in the 1st round, however).

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1