2023 Draft Talk

swede700

27 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

How does Foskey fit? He seems like a pure 4-3 end, lined up outside tackle 87% of his 2022 snaps. 

I dont think hes a 1st rounder.

He's a 2 point stance 3-4 edge rusher and dropped into coverage a fair amount. He's the all time sack leader at ND and was pretty good in the run game. I think he'll end up late 1st early 2nd. Not a guy I would prioritize for the Vikings based on team needs.

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He's a 2 point stance 3-4 edge rusher and dropped into coverage a fair amount. He's the all time sack leader at ND and was pretty good in the run game. I think he'll end up late 1st early 2nd. Not a guy I would prioritize for the Vikings based on team needs.

did he? I dont watch a lot of ND games but PFF has him charted at non run def and non pash rush snaps at 4% of his total snap share in 2022.

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

did he? I dont watch a lot of ND games but PFF has him charted at non run def and non pash rush snaps at 4% of his total snap share in 2022.

I watched almost every game of his career :) He didn't spend as much time in coverage last year, but he's definitely a 3-4 EDGE. Never played with a hand in the dirt that I can recall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I watched almost every game of his career :) He didn't spend as much time in coverage last year, but he's definitely a 3-4 EDGE. Never played with a hand in the dirt that I can recall.

ok cool, thank you!

Did you wish they moved him around a bit, rushing from different gaps, etc?

Just now, battle2heaven said:

ok cool, thank you!

Did you wish they moved him around a bit, rushing from different gaps, etc?

I think he's got a lot of potential to do that. They had a bunch of injuries last year and he was kind of forced to be one dimensional. He's kind of stiff, but has an elite first step, good strength in the run game, and a great motor. Should be a high end rotational player early in his career, but could develop into a high level starter.

Kinda reminds me of Ngokoue.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This is going to be an interesting situation. 

A lot of people owe Todd McShay an apology.

That has to be incredibly damaging to his draft stock because it shows a significant character flaw, especially when he supposedly left the scene.  It'll be interesting to see how teams consider it in their evaluation. 

He may still go in the 1st round, but if I were in the top 10, I'd find it difficult to invest that high of a pick in someone with that kind of flaw, despite him probably being the #2 prospect in the entire draft.  It could be just a sign of immaturity, but when someone dies as a result of (not necessarily you being the cause though) something you willfully participated in, that's a big red flag to me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That has to be incredibly damaging to his draft stock because it shows a significant character flaw, especially when he supposedly left the scene.  It'll be interesting to see how teams consider it in their evaluation. 

A report earlier Wednesday indicated Georgia defensive lineman Jalen Carter was present at teammate’s fatal crash and misled police about it. Now, comes word from the Athens-Clarke County Police Department that it has issued an arrest warrant for Carter for reckless driving and racing.

“As a result of the ongoing investigation into the January 15, 2023, fatal crash that occurred in the 900 block Barnett Shoals Road, the Athens Clarke-Country Police Department has secured arrest warrants for Jalen Carter, 21, for Reckless Driving and Racing,” the statement reads. “The investigation found that Chandler LeCroy, driver of the 2021 Ford Expedition, and Jalen Carter, driver of a 2021 Jeep Trackhawk, were operating their vehicles in a manner consistent with racing shortly after leaving the downtown Athens area at about 2:30 a.m. The evidence demonstrated that both vehicles switched between lanes, drove in the center turn lane, drove in opposite lanes of travel, overtook other motorists and drove at high rates of speed in an apparent attempt to outdistance each other. Evidence indicated that shortly before the crash the Expedition was traveling at about 104 mph.

“The toxicology report indicated that LeCroy’s blood-alcohol concentration was .197 at the time of the crash. Investigators determined that alcohol impairment, racing, reckless driving and speed were significant contributing factors to the crash. The case will be given to the Solicitor General’s Office.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/01/arrest-warrant-issued-for-jalen-carter-for-reckless-driving-racing/

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Bad mistake for a guy... definitely not smart.
Will he drop out of the top 10?

That's the big question.  I think he might...but, it just depends upon whether a team in the top 10 can get enough assurances prior to the draft about his character.  For his sake, at least it didn't drop right before the draft like it did for Gas Mask Guy.  

15 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Bad mistake for a guy... definitely not smart.
Will he drop out of the top 10?

If they drop the charges relatively quickly, which is certainly possible with misdemeanors, then I doubt it’ll be that damaging to his stock. 

I still think he’ll be a top 3 non-QB selected. 

• Like 1

If there is no likelihood of jail time, I don’t think it will affect his draft status at all. It isn’t like he’s a fringe first round guy. He is a consensus top five player in the draft. If he does start to freefall, though, I think you will see some teams move up to get him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

How could you not go to jail for that? Someone died, right?

Someone died as a result of their own poor decisions and reckless actions.

There hasn’t been anything reported to suggest that Carter’s reckless driving caused the accident. Unless that changes, or other charges are brought forward, it’s highly unlikely that two misdemeanors turn into any jail time.