2023 Draft Talk

swede700

On 2/28/2023 at 5:12 PM, Ozzy said:

I have not seen much of Banks, might have to check him out.  Never really stood out the times I watched Maryland and he is not super productive, curious what all the hype is about.

I must say if those are the corners we have, that is a problem because zero of them can play in the slot so that is a massive issue.  They could not go into a season with only Banks, Dantzler, Shelley, Evans and Booth.  Shelley you would think could play the slot but not sure he ever has really, he should be able to but if not none of those other guys could either.

As for Brian Branch, he cannot play slot corner, he can play on the edge and cover the TE but he could not cover receivers really well at Bama especially small fast ones.  He is great blitzing and attacking the QB along with coming down on run plays to make tackles, he can cover but I would never put him as a outside corner and not sure he could handle pure slot duties outside of TE coverage or a quick screen tackles.  Solid player though and one of the better safeties in the draft.

I think Shelley said he's better as a boundary CB.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Someone died as a result of their own poor decisions and reckless actions.

There hasn’t been anything reported to suggest that Carter’s reckless driving caused the accident. Unless that changes, or other charges are brought forward, it’s highly unlikely that two misdemeanors turn into any jail time. 

But that's not the egregious part when it comes to his draft stock.  The egregious part (if true) is that he left the scene and then misled the police.  I understand the fact that he was probably scared out of his pants, but it shows that there are more questions that he needs to answer about his maturity, because that's a lot of money to give someone who might have a tendency to get reckless and then try to avoid accountability.  

And @wcblack34, players that were top 5 prospects have dropped in the draft for far less worse.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

But that's not the egregious part when it comes to his draft stock.  The egregious part (if true) is that he left the scene and then misled the police.  I understand the fact that he was probably scared out of his pants, but it shows that there are more questions that he needs to answer about his maturity, because that's a lot of money to give someone who might have a tendency to get reckless and then try to avoid accountability.  

And @wcblack34, players that were top 5 prospects have dropped in the draft for far less worse.  

Laremy Tunsil anyone?

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And none of that is related to going to jail. Which was the entire basis of my post. 

Been watching BJ Ojulari quite a bit the last couple of nights.

He's really fun as a pass rusher. Not the greatest run defender, but it's not because of lack of effort. The dude goes balls out all the time. I would like to see how he tests/measures, but I'm warming up to him. Excellent, excellent SEC production and a true junior declare.

Carter did not appear at his scheduled media session on Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Carter may have already spoken with NFL teams in Indianapolis on Monday and Tuesday.  As for how this may effect his NFL Draft status, CBS Sports' Rick Spielman offered this assessment from an NFL team's front office view. 

"If you've already spoken with him, and I know they start interviews here on Monday night and had interviews last night [Tuesday], and he [Jalen Carter] did not bring that situation up and all of the sudden it came up today, you're going to put a red flag on that," Spielman said Wednesday from Indianapolis. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jalen-carter-georgia-arrest-warrant-former-nfl-gm-breaks-down-situation-about-top-nfl-draft-2023-prospect/

I would have to assume that he did happen to mention it, because everything we know about NFL teams' scouting process, they already knew it was coming down the pipeline before we even did.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Color me intrigued. This would be a great year to draft that project QB if we work to move on from Kirk. 

Only fear I would have is the fans pushing for him on every single Kirk mistake. 

Zero chance he makes it out of the top ten. Zero. 

22 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Maybe we end up in the top 10 after some movement 

Sesame Street Idk GIF

They'd have to give up their what, first and second next year, at least, (on top of first and ?) this year? Good luck with that.

You better be right if you do that!

• Like 2

Hypothetical scenario;

1. Houston takes Bryce Young after securing the #1 spot from Chicago
2. Chicago takes Jalen Carter
3. Arizona takes Tim Anderson
4. Indianapolis takes Will Levis
5. Seattle takes Tyree Wilson
6. Detroit takes Christian Gonzalez

All of a sudden, the Vikings logo appears on the screen, they’ve traded up!

7. What name are you hoping for? 

• Like 1