2023 Draft Talk

swede700

22 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm guessing they'll pick around 24-27.....

That would be my guess as well, outside of the unlikely event of actually getting to the Super Bowl, as that would put them in the general location of losing in the divisional round.  If they are going to lose in the playoffs, I would rather have it be there, as I don't know if I can take another NFC championship game loss.  😂

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 8:12 AM, wcblack34 said:

Current NFL Draft Order:

Carolina

Las Vegas

Detroit

Philly (New Orleans)

Houston

Houston (Cleveland)

Seattle (Denver)

Pittsburgh

Jacksonville

Chicago

#29 - Vikings

29th?  Let us be honest here, no way they would beat Philadelphia in the playoffs, same with Buffalo so that is just totally off the table.  In terms of the NFC, Dallas is solid not sure they could be them, the Giants it would be close but the Giants are clearly the most physical team especially on defense.  49ers are damn physical as well and in the playoffs not sure they beat them either unless Jimmy turns it over a ton but now they got McCaffrey.  Tampa Bay and Green Bay are a little down but in a playoff setting not sure they would beat Rodgers or Brady.  And the Rams are still a very dangerous team especially if they figure out their run game.

So they have a long ways to go still they could easily be 2-4 instead of 5-1, easily could have lost to Miami, Detroit and the Saints, hell even Chicago but sure on paper it is great and sure beats being 1-5.

If they do get a later 1st round pick, center is absolutely on the table with Jarrett Patterson or Olusegun Oluwatimi being the main targets I would say.  The corners like Ringo, Phillips, Ricks and Porter are possibly all gone, especially Phillips who is the biggest need because he is the best nickel CB prospect and that is the biggest need is at nickel.

Would not hate Darnell Washington at TE, get some freaking size in the room and ability to block, but that could be a reach and there is a lot of value later in the draft at TE.  Outside of Washington and Mayer I would be fine with any of these TEs, especially one of those two dudes on Utah, they are not super big but both are really dangerous pass catches and are tough.  Would not mind Spann-Ford who is a physical monster or a guy like Jacob Warren late in the draft who could be a big time steal.

Zach Kuntz Old Dominion RS JR
Brenton Strange Penn State RS JR
Brant Kuithe Utah RS
Dalton Kincaid Utah RS
Brevyn Spann-Ford Minnesota RS
Payne Durham Purdue RS
Travis Vokolek Nebraska RS
Sam LaPorta Iowa
Will Mallory Miami FL RS
Cameron Latu Alabama RS
Erick All Michigan
Josh Whyle Cincinnati RS
Keon Zipperer Florida
Hunter Luepke NDSU
Leonard Taylor Cincinnati
Michael Ezeike UCLA
Jacob Warren Tennessee RS
Daniel Barker Michigan State RS
Johnny Lumpkin Louisiana RS
Christian Trahan Houston

• 2 weeks later...

With the Minnesota Vikings making a trade for T.J. Hockenson at the NFL Trade Deadline, we thought we would take the opportunity to update which picks the Vikings now have in the 2023 NFL Draft.

As things stand right now, as far as we can tell, the purple currently have four picks in the 2023 NFL Draft. Here they are, as well as where some of their other picks went:

• First-round pick
  • Second-round pick (sent to Detroit Lions in T.J. Hockenson trade)
  • Third-round pick
  • Fourth-round pick (sent to Cleveland Browns when team traded up for Akayleb Evans in 2022 NFL Draft)
  • Fourth-round pick (acquired from Detroit Lions in T.J. Hockenson trade)
  • Fifth-round pick
  • Sixth-round pick (traded to Houston Texans in Ross Blacklock trade)
  • Seventh-round pick (traded to Denver Broncos in Stephen Weatherly trade)
  • Seventh-round pick (acquired from Houston Texans in Ross Blacklock trade, subsequently traded to Philadelphia Eagles in Jalen Reagor trade)

According to the folks from Over the Cap, the Vikings are also likely to get two compensatory selections for the losses of safety Xavier Woods and offensive lineman Mason Cole. That would put them back up to six selections.

To the best of our knowledge, those are the Minnesota Vikings’ 2023 draft picks as things stand right now. If we’ve gotten it wrong in some way, we’ll make the corrections as soon as possible. It’s a little crazy right now, as you can probably imagine.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/11/1/23434930/minnesota-vikings-2023-nfl-draft-picks-update?fbclid=IwAR3hN7Q7LGMnCH8LotgpMOt5fMyJc2gbi8Ni8xNpWDnGowYUSL_O8KG7O3M

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

With the Minnesota Vikings making a trade for T.J. Hockenson at the NFL Trade Deadline, we thought we would take the opportunity to update which picks the Vikings now have in the 2023 NFL Draft.

As things stand right now, as far as we can tell, the purple currently have four picks in the 2023 NFL Draft. Here they are, as well as where some of their other picks went:

• First-round pick
  • Second-round pick (sent to Detroit Lions in T.J. Hockenson trade)
  • Third-round pick
  • Fourth-round pick (sent to Cleveland Browns when team traded up for Akayleb Evans in 2022 NFL Draft)
  • Fourth-round pick (acquired from Detroit Lions in T.J. Hockenson trade)
  • Fifth-round pick
  • Sixth-round pick (traded to Houston Texans in Ross Blacklock trade)
  • Seventh-round pick (traded to Denver Broncos in Stephen Weatherly trade)
  • Seventh-round pick (acquired from Houston Texans in Ross Blacklock trade, subsequently traded to Philadelphia Eagles in Jalen Reagor trade)

According to the folks from Over the Cap, the Vikings are also likely to get two compensatory selections for the losses of safety Xavier Woods and offensive lineman Mason Cole. That would put them back up to six selections.

To the best of our knowledge, those are the Minnesota Vikings’ 2023 draft picks as things stand right now. If we’ve gotten it wrong in some way, we’ll make the corrections as soon as possible. It’s a little crazy right now, as you can probably imagine.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/11/1/23434930/minnesota-vikings-2023-nfl-draft-picks-update?fbclid=IwAR3hN7Q7LGMnCH8LotgpMOt5fMyJc2gbi8Ni8xNpWDnGowYUSL_O8KG7O3M

Not ideal, as we won't have much flexibility in the draft, but it's hard to be too upset if Hockenson plays to potential and we lock him up long term. 

I suspect that this will be one of those drafts where we trade out of the first round to accumulate a couple more selections. 

• Like 3

Just now, vike daddy said:

we going to ignore QB this year in the draft? or at least 1st round QB?

If they trade back, I could still see getting one in the 2nd rd (which is where they'd trade back to).  But who knows at this point.  

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

we going to ignore QB this year in the draft? or at least 1st round QB?

Always depends on who is available, but I would tend to think so. I think the best draft pick we'll get is somewhere around 25. While a guy could fall, that doesn't happen too often. We don't have the draft capital to trade up too far. We could offer a future first rounder to move up a few spots, but I don't know that they would. 

Expectations for next season are going to be high. Taking a project QB late in the first round, instead of providing help for the team's current QB, has already proven the ruin of one NFC North franchise 🤣

Caleb Williams (USC)

Drake Maye (NC)

Quinn Ewers (Texas)

Shadeur Sanders (Jackson St)

JJ McCarthy (Michigan)

Kaidon Salter (Liberty)

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-nfl-draft-prospect-watchlist/

The class won't likely be as strong as next year, but there's a lot of time between now and then.  FWIW, there's another Huard coming out of the Pacific Northwest.

Edited by swede700