2023 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I like him but I thought he would be far more dominating this past year and make more of an impact.  Did not wow athletically either but was solid I guess. Great versatility of course but he is also like Evans who we already have.   Sure Evans cannot play the slot as well but both are tall corners who are good solid aggressive tacklers.  So not sure one drafts Johnson because unlike Phillips or Hodges-Tomlinson, Johnson physically is like a corner we already have.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I like him but I thought he would be far more dominating this past year and make more of an impact.  Did not wow athletically either but was solid I guess. Great versatility of course but he is also like Evans who we already have.   Sure Evans cannot play the slot as well but both are tall corners who are good solid aggressive tacklers.  So not sure one drafts Johnson because unlike Phillips or Hodges-Tomlinson, Johnson physically is like a corner we already have.  

Didn’t watch a hole lot of Evans in college, did he even do much in the slot at all?

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Didn’t watch a hole lot of Evans in college, did he even do much in the slot at all?

No I think Evans was mostly outside, Johnson is clearly the better slot but that is where he played mostly.  Either way both are tall corners who are very aggressive and solid tacklers.  Still not totally sure Johnson will stick at slot in the NFL and not be moved to safety but depending on the situation he might be put in slot at times and be moved around.  

5 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I know there is a lot of fans of his out there…

Literally my only concern with Forbes is his weight. 166lbs at his height is rail thin for the nfl. 

but other then that, the height, length, speed, explosion metrics, production in the SEC, and willingness to tackle in the run game are all there. 

but 166 lbs at 6 feet..,.yikes. That weight is literally below the 1 percentile for cbs. 

15 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Literally my only concern with Forbes is his weight. 166lbs at his height is rail thin for the nfl. 

but other then that, the height, length, speed, explosion metrics, production in the SEC, and willingness to tackle in the run game are all there. 

but 166 lbs at 6 feet..,.yikes. That weight is literally below the 1 percentile for cbs. 

And Cam Dantzler's nickname is the Needle...what would Forbes' be?  🤣

27 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I agree with everything that you said. Now if you gave me a player that checks all of those boxes, but his only knock is that he’s underweight, I’m taking that guy and betting that he’s able to put on some pounds throughout the next few years. I believe it’s much harder to learn how to cover and play cornerback, than to put on some weight. Forbes might be the most skilled cornerback in this year’s draft. It’s possible that if he had weighed 185 at the combine, he’d be the first cornerback taken this year. His game tape is that good. At the same time, he’d most likely not test as fast if he’d come in heavier at the combine. Which is why I think he came in a little slimmer. He was really trying to get that 4.35 40 time. 

Edited by Purplepride323

50 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I agree with everything that you said. Now if you gave me a player that checks all of those boxes, but his only knock is that he’s underweight, I’m taking that guy and betting that he’s able to put on some pounds throughout the next few years. I believe it’s much harder to learn how to cover and play cornerback, than to put on some weight. Forbes might be the most skilled cornerback in this year’s draft. It’s possible that if he had weighed 185 at the combine, he’d be the first cornerback taken this year. His game tape is that good. At the same time, he’d most likely not test as fast if he’d come in heavier at the combine. Which is why I think he came in a little slimmer. He was really trying to get that 4.35 40 time. 

It’s not just gain a little weight. He’s basically malnourished for the nfl. His body weight is below the 1 percentile for nfl cornerbacks. With his length and height, his bmi would be ever lower. 

it’s a complete outlier to be successful with that body type. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

What would it take to get to number 3?

2023 1st, 2023 3rd, 2024 1st, 2024 2nd

Probably more than they have to offer, and certainly more than any player available at 3 would be worth. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Probably more than they have to offer, and certainly more than any player available at 3 would be worth. 

So what if KAM/KOC say that 3rd QB who is still on the board is “OUR guy” (non Will Levis), and he is going to Indy at #4 if we don’t move up to #3. 

KAM is a young GM on a relatively low $ contract. Going up for a QB may solidify a future extension since he would have put his mark on this team. 

Edited by CriminalMind

Then you let Indy take them at 4 and you re-evaluate. Trade back from 23 and accumulate picks for 2024 and go after the next “our guy” next year. There will be one. 

There’s a limit on how many resources you can, or should, give up for a player before you start impacting your ability to build a team around that player. Especially when you are talking about players like Richardson and Levis, who are both traits QBs that need to take significant jumps in their development as quarterbacks.

Giving up 2 or 3 picks over the 2023 and 2024 drafts can likely be supplemented through free agency. But to move up from 23 to 3 is likely going to cost you high resources in the 2025 draft as well. And those draft picks are going to be needed as more and more contracts need to be handed out. 

• Like 3