RIP ChicagoAl

CBears019

For those that have been posting here a long time, you probably remember @ChicagoAl.  Al was probably older than any other member on this entire site by at least a couple decades, but he didn’t let that slow him down or stop him from getting into it with other posters.  Al had his trademark way of responding to other posters by quoting them and using red text in the quote box and he certainly had a lot of nostalgia for the way the Bears were run in the old days.  Who remembers his idea of a 4 TE base offensive set?  While he could be a bit cantankerous at times, he loved discussing the Bears with similarly passionate Bears fans.  Al would even frequently give away tickets to Bears games to fellow Footballsfuture members.

I regret to inform you all that Al passed away a little over two years ago.

Ready for an interesting story?  Remember the poster @ForteOz?  He contacted me in May of 2020 to relay the news of Al’s passing.  Turns out, ForteOz is Al’s son, but Al never knew that he was posting on this site with his own son.  I found that to be kind of neat.  ForteOz was going to make a post about this a long time ago, but after two years I figured I’d go ahead and let you guys know.

So to Al - rest easy old man!  May your afterlife be filled with as many tight ends as you desire!

Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

• Like 9

@ChicagoAl was good people. Cantankerous was probably the perfect word for him lol. His debates led to some extensive moderator cleanup back in the day. Sad to hear of his passing. Without question he would have genuinely hated that the current site wouldn’t allow him to do the red font responses here too.

Rest easy, big guy. 

• Like 2

I remember him and his responding techniques and always wondered what happened to him. It's great that his son was on here too when he didn't even know it. That's awesome.

This is sad news, but thanks for the update CB. I hope the rest of family is okay.

It makes you wonder what happened to other older members on here like Steve Perry and such.

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Without question he would have genuinely hated that the current site wouldn’t allow him to do the red font responses here too.

Lol you could tell he was that older guy who just didn't understand the internet but still tried his *** off because he loved to talk about the Bears.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

AL was an interesting poster sad to hear of his passing, and I definitely remember his 4 TE set since I made the pic showing it lined up.

I wish you had saved this some place.

It's hard to believe that this site has been around for 15+ years. Especially for those of us who have been around since damn near it's inception.

15 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I remember him and his responding techniques and always wondered what happened to him. It's great that his son was on here too when he didn't even know it. That's awesome.

This is sad news, but thanks for the update CB. I hope the rest of family is okay.

It makes you wonder what happened to other older members on here like Steve Perry and such.

Lol yeah steveperry got permanently banned iirc.  I always wondered about @GRRLacher, @Jack, and @wiscbearsfan (among others I’m sure).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I wish you had saved this some place.

It's hard to believe that this site has been around for 15+ years. Especially for those of us who have been around since damn near it's inception.

Seriously.  I turn 30 in a few weeks, meaning that this site will have been a part of my life for the majority of my time on this planet.

• Like 1

Just now, CBears019 said:

Lol yeah steveperry got permanently banned iirc.  I always wondered about @GRRLacher, @Jack, and @wiscbearsfan (among others I’m sure).

He did. I used to hate him talking in 3rd person but then after he got banned I kinda missed him lol.

All of them were great posters too. Very articulate and informative. Man I miss those guys.

18 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He did. I used to hate him talking in 3rd person but then after he got banned I kinda missed him lol.

All of them were great posters too. Very articulate and informative. Man I miss those guys.

Fwiw, if you send them a PM they should get an email from the site alerting them.  If you were close with any of them in particular it could be worth a shot to bring some of them back.  All their account data was transferred over to the new site when we switched over in 2017.

Re: steveperry - I remember when i first joined the site i made some post either for or against signing Marvin Harrison (or Reggie wayne, can’t remember now).  And Steve sent me a PM completely tearing me to shreds for whatever opinion i expressed.  Sir, I am 15, my parents would like to have a word with you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Seriously.  I turn 30 in a few weeks, meaning that this site will have been a part of my life for the majority of my time on this planet.

I joined FF in 2006 and I turn 40 in a few months, so I’m not so far off from that majority mark. I still had all my hair then lol.

I remember on the old forum if you looked at the web link when looking at someone’s profile it would tell you what member they were to join the site and I was something right around 1000. We got up over 50,000 registered users at one point. @GRRLacher was like member #7. I used to always think Webby was VikeDaddy because he was #2 (Webby was #1). I never found out for sure but was told by GRR back when we were co-mods in here that VD was not Webby.

Those numbers all got updated when the site converted to the current iteration and I lost track of who was who when they started allowing screen name changes.

There are days where this place drives me nuts but reality is I still love posting here and reading along even after 15+ years. 

7 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Fwiw, if you send them a PM they should get an email from the site alerting them.  If you were close with any of them in particular it could be worth a shot to bring some of them back.  All their account data was transferred over to the new site when we switched over in 2017.

I can’t believe that was 5 years ago already. I very clearly remember how much of a pain in the *** it used to be to post from my phone lol. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I joined FF in 2006 and I turn 40 in a few months, so I’m not so far off from that majority mark. I still had all my hair then lol.

I remember on the old forum if you looked at the web link when looking at someone’s profile it would tell you what member they were to join the site and I was something right around 1000. We got up over 50,000 registered users at one point. @GRRLacher was like member #7. I used to always think Webby was VikeDaddy because he was #2 (Webby was #1). I never found out for sure but was told by GRR back when we were co-mods in here that VD was not Webby.

Those numbers all got updated when the site converted to the current iteration and I lost track of who was who when they started allowing screen name changes.

There are days where this place drives me nuts but reality is I still love posting here and reading along even after 15+ years. 

I completely forgot about that.  I have read that webby does have a “fan” profile where he can just blend in with the crowd.  I mean, if VD was #2, how could he not be webby?  Or at the very least know him personally?

9 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I wasn't close enough to either of them to a point where they would remember me (especially since my old account was....uh...nevermind lol). But it is awesome that Webby was able forward all of their info from the old site. It would also be a matter of whether they still have those email accounts that are associated with their forum accounts too.

I would love to hear from them again. Even if it's just for one post to be sure they are doing alright.