My waaayyyy too early mock offseason

bucsfan333

Jason Licht isn't resigned. Him leaving signals the end of Dirk Koetter. 9-7 was exciting but we're now on pace for 4-12. It sucks because I like Koetter. But that's what happens when you lose. That leaves the rest of the coaching staff in limbo.

We bring in Jake Rosenberg to take over as GM. Some of you have thrown his name around and I like it. He's on the best team in the NFC (and maybe NFL), so it makes sense. They've done a good job building up that team and managing the cap.

With Lurie comes our new HC, Jim Schwartz. Schwartz brings Philly's QB coach John DeFillipo with him to be our new OC. You see what he's done with Wentz. Schwartz brings in his old friend Tim Walton to be our DC. He was with him in Detroit and is the current DB coach of the Gmen.

With the staff set, we look at our own free agents:

• Brent Grimes retires.
  • Doug Martin is cut, saving $6.75M.
  • Jacquizz Rodgers is cut, saving $1.6M.
  • Charles Sims walks.
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick walks.
  • Clinton McDonald walks.
  • Evan Smith walks. 
  • Kevin Pamphile walks.
  • Luke Stocker finally walks.
  • Will Clarke walks.
  • Daryl Tapp walks.
  • Cameron Lynch walks.
  • Robert McClain walks.
  • Ryan Russell walks.
  • Javien Elliot walks.

We have ~$63M in cap space after cutting Doug Martin and Jacquizz Rodgers and letting a bunch of guys walk. But we have quite a few of our own FAs to resign:

Cameron Brate signs for four years $28M. Seems a little steep but it only puts him 12th among TEs in terms of yearly salary. We lock up one of Jameis' favorite targets.

Adarius Glanton signs for two years $2M. He provides good depth and special teams play.

Adam Humphries signs for three years $10M. Another solid, reliable target for Jameis. This would be the 53rd highest contract for a WR, and matches what Russell Shepherd got from Carolina.

Peyton Barber signs for one year $750K. This number might go up if he gets more touches to close out the year and looks good doing it. But we need to retain someone from our backfield.

Bernard Reedy signs for one year $750k. He's a decent returner and we have the cap space to keep him around, so why not? And he's at least passable depth as our fifth WR.

Keith Tandy signs for one year $1M. We can't let everyone go. We bring him back to be depth and push for playing time.

Patrick Murray signs for five years $6M. This puts him 16th for kicker contracts. He's worth it, just to have someone moving forward. He's shown to be a decent kicker and has done pretty well for us in his two stints here.

Garrison Sanborn signs for two years $1.5M. No reason not to keep our LS.

The current salary cap would be ~$48M. The depth chart would look like:

QB Jameis Winston, Ryan Griffin

RB Peyton Barber

WR Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Chris Godwin, Adam Humphries, Bernard Reedy

TE Cameron Brate, OJ Howard, Antony Auclair

LT

LG Donovan Smith

C Ali Marpet, Joe Hawley

RG JR Sweezy, Leonard Wester

RT Demar Dotson, Caleb Benenoch

DE Robert Ayers, Noah Spence, William Gholston

DT Gerald McCoy, Chris Baker, Stevie Tu'ikolovatu

LB Lavonte David, Kwon Alexander, Kendell Beckwith, Adarius Glanton, Devante Bond

CB Vernon Hargreaves III, Ryan Smith, Josh Robinson

S Justin Evans, Chris Conte, Keith Tandy

K Patrick Murray

P Bryan Anger

LS Garrison Sanborn

We move D Smith to LG. He sucks at tackle, but he's shown that he can play. So we give him a shot at guard.

Going into the offseason with only Barber in our backfield is rough. But we can't keep everyone in front of him. Well, we could. But they suck.

We kinda have to keep Ayers. Spence is unproven and Gholston is a solid LE, but nothing more. If we can add enough talent and/or someone else breaks out Ayers could be a preseason cut. But right now he stays.

Same thing goes with Baker. We can't rely on only McCoy in the middle. Baker's talented, there's no doubt about that. Effort is the question. And I can't see a defensive coach thinking he can't get the most out of him.

We're really weak at CB. But FA is loaded.

Free agency is next. We've got a lot of holes/depth to fill and a new coaching staff that wants guys for their schemes. So we sign:

LT Greg Robinson three years $20M. He played pretty well in Detroit. This would make him about the 20th highest paid LT in the league.

DE Ezekiel Ansah four years $44M. We need a lot of help getting after the QB. Lawrence is gonna be everybody's top guy. And because of that he's gonna make QB money. So we opt for a much cheaper (and still good) option.

RB Isaiah Crowell for two years $6M. We need to add someone - no, anyone - to the backfield. Crowell isn't bad and gives us a balanced RB. Something we haven't really had since Dougie's rookie year.

S Eric Reid for four years $15M. He's been up and down throughout his career. But he hits hard and he's young. That's something we need in our secondary.

CB Delvin Breaux for two years $5M. We're at the point where we have to take into account our salary cap for the next few years. We've got some guys that are gonna make a lot of money and we can't sign every superstar. Breaux has flashed and shown potential. 

Our depth chart before the draft:

RB Peyton Barber, Isaiah Crowell

LT Greg Robinson

LG Donovan Smith

C Ali Marpet, Joe Hawley

DE Ezekiel Ansah, Robert Ayers, Noah Spence, William Gholston

LB Lavonte David, Kwon Alexander, Kendell Beckwith, Adarius Glanton, Devante Bond

CB Vernon Hargreaves III, Delvin Breaux, Ryan Smith, Josh Robinson

S Justin Evans, Eric Reid, Chris Conte, Keith Tandy

K Patrick Murray

P Bryan Anger

LS Garrison Sanborn

Current cap space is ~$22.5M. Our biggest needs are (in no order) RB, DT, DE, CB, S, and OT. Here goes:

Round One DE Bradley Chubb, NC State This pick is a no-brainer. It doesn't need a lot of explanation.

Round Two RB Derrius Guice, LSU We've still got a need here. Barkley is a legit option in the first. Guice is gonna be a good one.

Round three CB JC Jackson, Maryland You want a tall CB with speed and ball skills? This is your guy. Unfortunately he has off field concerns. But I don't think we'll really care.

Round four OT Andre Dillard, Washington State 

Round five DE Hercules Mata'afa, Washington State

...five rounds is enough.

New (and improved) depth chart:

RB Derrius Guice, Isaiah Crowell Peyton Barber

LT Greg Robinson, Andre Dillard

LG Donovan Smith

C Ali Marpet, Joe Hawley

DE Ezekiel Ansah, Bradley Chubb, Robert Ayers, Noah Spence, William Gholston, Hercules Mata'afa

CB Vernon Hargreaves III, Delvin Breaux, Ryan Smith, JC Jackson, Josh Robinson

S Justin Evans, Eric Reid, Chris Conte, Keith Tandy

K Patrick Murray

P Bryan Anger

LS Garrison Sanborn

We're three shy of a full roster. But guessing the UDFA or two we'd keep and other minor moves for depth we'd make is impossible to guess at this point.

Rip it apart.

Ok so I just read through the whole thing. Great job and very detailed.

Im wishy washy on Schwartz. Honestly I think he is a bit of a head case and I wonder if he's just one of those guys who is a good DC but not HC. If he can indeed bring talent with the offensive coaches, something he was never great at, to develop Jameis and properly utalize this offense then why not.

As far as acquisitions go I think Ziggy is the most unrealistic. I don't think Detroit let's him go. I'd be down for Crow or Hyde at RB so cool there. Robinson just got released with an injury designation from Detroit so I wonder if he'd be an improvement.

The draft is solid. Completely fine drafting a RB in the 2nd and going into the season with the CBs you have if we add Ziggy and Chubb to the DL.

Just now, Lil' Shorty said:

Ok so I just read through the whole thing. Great job and very detailed.

Im wishy washy on Schwartz. Honestly I think he is a bit of a head case and I wonder if he's just one of those guys who is a good DC but not HC. If he can indeed bring talent with the offensive coaches, something he was never great at, to develop Jameis and properly utalize this offense then why not.

As far as acquisitions go I think Ziggy is the most unrealistic. I don't think Detroit let's him go. I'd be down for Crow or Hyde at RB so cool there. Robinson just got released with an injury designation from Detroit so I wonder if he'd be an improvement.

The draft is solid. Completely fine drafting a RB in the 2nd and going into the season with the CBs you have if we add Ziggy and Chubb to the DL.

I'm like three months ahead of almost all of it. And there's no way I'm right on any of it. I just wanted to play some Madden with the team. icon_lol.gif

I'm wishy washy on pretty much everyone that's been mentioned as a future HC. Lotta pros and cons with everyone.

Ziggy is a long shot. But I don't think it's impossible. Yet. Detroit only has $7.5M in cap space right now. But that'll change in the months ahead.

No to Greg Robinson at LT and I'm not sold on Schwartz being a HC. I think he's a great D.C. But that's it. 

The rest I can deal with. I do like the move to LG for smith but Gregg Robinson isn't a guy I'd give almost 7 million a year to play LT. 

Draft I can dig. Love the first two picks. 

12 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

No to Greg Robinson at LT and I'm not sold on Schwartz being a HC. I think he's a great D.C. But that's it. 

The rest I can deal with. I do like the move to LG for smith but Gregg Robinson isn't a guy I'd give almost 7 million a year to play LT. 

Draft I can dig. Love the first two picks. 

To add on the Greg Robinson, he just got cut from Detroit this week.... 

Robinson showed flashes of great play in Detroit. Which is what we have now. But the change of scenery seemed to help him. So I opted to pay Robinson instead of Pamphile or E Smith.

And it allowed the move inside for D Smith. Figure we could give him a year at guard to see if we can keep him or let him walk.

I'd look for a better LT replacement. Nate Solder is #1 OT, I'd offer him a good amount of money and move on.

Decent off-season. Not too familiar with the draft prospects after rounds 1 but it fills need. Very unlikely the Lions let their top DE go without at least a franchise tag. But who knows, just not banking on it.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:03 AM, bucsfan333 said:

Robinson showed flashes of great play in Detroit. Which is what we have now. But the change of scenery seemed to help him. So I opted to pay Robinson instead of Pamphile or E Smith.

And it allowed the move inside for D Smith. Figure we could give him a year at guard to see if we can keep him or let him walk.

Guys, as someone who watched the Rams draft him at #2 overall and had to watch him man the LG and Lt spot week in and week out and get dominated on every level (even in run blocking more often than not, which was supposed to be his forte from day 1). He's athletic as they come, but just can't handle anything a DE throws at him. He's simply not a good player...

He'll flash every once in a while, but he's as brutal as they come. DET would have kept him if they really thought he was anything moving forward, even with Decker returning...

Wouldn't surprise me if he was out of the league by end of next year, he's that bad...

Archived