What 3 players on the team now, have a lot to prove to you this year?

We talk about wants & needs for the team all the time. The draft picks we made, who we should have chosen & udfa's we hope impress.

But what about the players we do have? What about the players we have, that haven't lived up to expectations while here?

Carson Wentz just got here, so he doesn't count. Obviously, he has a lot to prove not only to us as fans, but to himself & the coaches.

But I'm talking about players who were here at least last season & maybe longer.

So what are your top 3 players that need to show you something this season, to get the bad taste out of your mouth for how you feel about them now.

Here are mine

#1) Chase Young= He needs to show me why he was the #2 pick in the draft & why there was so much hype about him. So far, Montez Sweat is playing better than him. He needs to show me he's better than Sweat. I realize his injury last year, set him back. But for a guy who seems to be a captain, team spokesman & face of the franchise type of player? He's been very underwhelming to me, imo.

#2) William Jackson= This dude got a pretty good contract from us & all I saw was him getting lit up. I don't know....maybe my expectations were too high? But when your the #1 or #2 CB, I expect that player to play like it. Hopefully, he can improve cause we haven't done squat in addressing our CB's besides our 7th round pick in Christian. I would sign soon to be FA Bradbury as the #2 & move Jackson to the slot.

#3)Antonio Gibson= I loved his rookie year, but last year was not good. We know he's a good player, but you can't fumble the ball like he did & keep your job. I know there are other players who should be on this list instead of Gibson. But Gibson last year, is basically why I really liked the Robinson draft pick. Because too many drives we should have had a more power back in the game, but Gibson was there. You could say the RB depth is why he was put in bad situations. Either way, you cannot fumble the ball & keep your job. I'm expecting him to bounce back & have confidence that he can. 

Anyways, those are my 3. I know many of us might have different players on our list. Or a list with 10 players on it...lol 😁

But these are the 3, I want to see have a good year, so I'm not wanting them shipped out at the end of the year.

What are yours?

Wentz is the obvious one. He’s on his last chance as a (no questions asked) starting QB, and he might be our last chance to have a legitimate QB with this current core (McLaurin, Gibson, the 4 DL, Fuller, Curl, etc) before it gets very expensive. 

I also liked the picks of the two DEs and WJ3. They have a lot to prove, in terms of showing that last year was a fluke — for them and (resultantly) for the defense as a whole. Jamin Davis also needs to turn the corner and at least start mixing in more impact plays with the head-scratchers.

For me, a real big one is Curtis Samuel. We gave him a lot of money, and we chose him over what has been a bunch of other good FA WRs over the last two years. He can add something to this offense, especially if Dotson is good enough out of the box to allow Samuel to play the role he should be playing (WR3/gadget guy). He’s extremely dangerous to defenses in that role, if you can give him space to operate. But he’s a goner if he doesn’t turn things around early and often next season.

A less obvious one for me is the guard duo of Norwell/Turner. It feels like they’ve been around forever, but somehow they’ll be just 30 and 29, respectively, in Week One. That’s still rather young for guards. Their stock is down, and they’re both on small, basically “prove it” contracts, but once upon a time they were both absolute dudes in concert with Matsko. If they both somehow found that magic again, that would be a hugely unexpected windfall for this offense. 

• Like 3

Chase Young has to be #1.  He was supposed to be a franchise player.  He needs to rebound this year.

Jamin Davis, show us your worth a starting role, otherwise you’re probably losing your job next off-season.

Then probably Wentz or Curtis Samuel.  Both need to show up this year or they’ll both be gone. 

• Like 1

For me it’s:

Chase Young- a 2nd pick really should produce like an allstar and he can do that. Hope he will play more with his head. Last year he really over run the pocket, a little more contain will help the team

Jamin Davis: hope he will play as olb and turn the table

With these two changes the D should be top 10.

Last; Curtis Samuel. He is a great player and hope he stays healthy. If so and with ok-to- good QB play from Wentz the O should be good (not great) and play-offs should be possible.

This is really needed, because in my opinion the Eagles had a great off season.

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Chase Young has to be #1.  He was supposed to be a franchise player.  He needs to rebound this year.

Jamin Davis, show us your worth a starting role, otherwise you’re probably losing your job next off-season.

Then probably Wentz or Curtis Samuel.  Both need to show up this year or they’ll both be gone. 

All of this. And in this order.

• Like 1

Damn, we can only pick 3?

1. Jamin Davis 

2. Curtis Samuel 

3. WJ3

I know most won’t agree, but I’m not worried about Chase. He had a better first half of the season than people realize, even though the sack stats weren’t there the QB pressures were which allowed his teammates to clean up on sacks as the QBs got pushed to their side or up into the pocket to the DTs, he had a few game changing plays, if our back 7 played just average the fist 6 games and if he didn’t have 2 sacks taken away from him on bogus roughing the passer calls he may have had 5-7 sacks in just 8 games and he played the run well. 

Edited by turtle28

On 5/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, MKnight82 said:

This is the list. I exclude Wentz only in the sense that it's not like he had a bad year last year, just didn't come up clutch (where have we seen that before?). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCNative said:

What does Montez Sweat have to prove? Curious. 

Both he and Chase Young had down years last year. Rivera eluded to then be both freelancing a bit and it hurting the overall defense. Sweat has been in the league 3 years & had no double digit sack seasons, if his name were Orakpo & this was a decade ago, this forum would want him cut.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Both he and Chase Young had down years last year. Rivera eluded to then be both freelancing a bit and it hurting the overall defense. Sweat has been in the league 3 years & had no double digit sack seasons, if his name were Orakpo & this was a decade ago, this forum would want him cut.

Once again Turtle speaking for another poster. Are you one person under all these different names? 

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No Chase Young had a down year and will continue to Until he proves he is that Generational Talent that We couldn't pass up on! Generational Talent like a J.J. Watt or Arron Donald. I won't argue with you or anybody about Young's hype witch lead to these expectations. 

1 minute ago, DCNative said:

Once again Turtle speaking for another poster. Are you one person under all these different names? 

You posed a question, I answered it. Just my Opinion but you really need to focus on the posts & not the poster on this site if you want to remain a poster here. I’m sure @Thaiphoon will get upset with me for saying that but I seem to remember him warning you about that when you were going back and forth with Mknight a while ago.

2 minutes ago, DCNative said:

No Chase Young had a down year and will continue to Until he proves he is that Generational Talent that We couldn't pass up on! Generational Talent like a J.J. Watt or Arron Donald. I won't argue with you or anybody about Young's hype witch lead to these expectations. 

Sweat wasn’t good last year either though. He took a step back, so they both have something to prove.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1