What 3 players on the team now, have a lot to prove to you this year?

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You posed a question, I answered it. Just my Opinion but you really need to focus on the posts & not the poster on this site if you want to remain a poster here. I’m sure @Thaiphoon will get upset with me for saying that but I seem to remember him warning you about that when you were going back and forth with Mknight a while ago.

Was my question posted to you or another poster? I'm not looking forward to having you reply to things I'm not discussing with you. If that's a problem @Thaiphoonplease let me know. 

Edited by DCNative

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sweat wasn’t good last year either though. He took a step back, so they both have something to prove.

That's your opinion. Sweat played 10 games and had 4 sacks less than his career high while also having the most FF of his career. Sweat has played very well for the compensation they traded for him. 

7 hours ago, DCNative said:

What does Montez Sweat have to prove? Curious. 

Everything.  More than anyone else.  He has proved nothing so far.  He has only had one good year and that was when the whole defense had a good year in 2020.

He needs to show he isn't a one year wonder or a guy that just shows you flashes.  If not, you let him walk.  You don't pay him real money for his current level of play.  It is time he shows that he can consistently dominate, or you move on from him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCNative said:

Was my question posted to you or another poster? I'm not looking forward to having you reply to things I'm not discussing with you. If that's a problem @Thaiphoonplease let me know. 

Easy there Cheif @turtle28 has been on here for a while, we all respond to any post on here… if you want to have a conversation with only one poster then send them a message. This is for everyone as a consensus when you post. @Thaiphoonsorry if I am coming off rude as I post this but I don’t like disrespect to fellow posters. Especially to ones who have been here for a long time.

@DCNativeno disrespect to you but when you post something any of us will respond to it just FYI

Edited by LoganF89

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sweat wasn’t good last year either though. He took a step back, so they both have something to prove.

I agree here. A big part of the defensive problems was the lack of getting to the QB. The DTs were doing their job. But Sweat and Young were out of position on a lot of rushes and allowed the QB to escape the pocket by taking poor routes to the QB. They were both freelancing quite a bit for most of the year.

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

Easy there Cheif @turtle28 has been on here for a while, we all respond to any post on here… if you want to have a conversation with only one poster then send them a message. This is for everyone as a consensus when you post. @Thaiphoonsorry if I am coming off rude as I post this but I don’t like disrespect to fellow posters. Especially ones who have been here for a long time.

@DCNativeno disrespect to you but when you post something any of us will respond to it just FYI

You're fine. You've said basically what I was going to say. The forum is for all to discuss. If you want a private discussion, take it to PMs. If you don't want to respond to someone answering your question, you don't have to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Everything.  More than anyone else.  He has proved nothing so far.  He has only had one good year and that was when the whole defense had a good year in 2020.

He needs to show he isn't a one year wonder or a guy that just shows you flashes.  If not, you let him walk.  You don't pay him real money for his current level of play.  It is time he shows that he can consistently dominate, or you move on from him.

So your suggesting letting Sweat and Payne go? What's really going on here? 

8 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Easy there Cheif @turtle28 has been on here for a while, we all respond to any post on here… if you want to have a conversation with only one poster then send them a message. This is for everyone as a consensus when you post. @Thaiphoonsorry if I am coming off rude as I post this but I don’t like disrespect to fellow posters. Especially to ones who have been here for a long time.

I didn't disrespect anyone. I simply asked @turtle28 not to answer a post I specifically posted to someone else. Especially when it's already clear myself and @turtle28 didn't agree on the topic. 

9 hours ago, DCNative said:

So just ignore the fact Sweat only played 10 games? 

Nope. Watch how he played in those 10 games. Look at the rushes. It's more than just sacks. How many times did he take a poor route and turn what should've been a sack (or a throwaway or a rushed pass) into the QB sliding out his side and completing a pass?

Where are all the excuses that came for Chase?

I'd like to see someone making excuses for Chase. AFAIK, no one here has been doing that. We've all been pretty critical of what Chase did last year as well.

In only 10 games Sweat still had 5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. How is that a bad year other than the injury? 

See my first comment. See our pass rush when he went out for injury. It was much improved because the backups were actually doing their jobs rather than freelancing. Now, before you take that the wrong way, I did not say that the backups were better. I said they were playing better as a unit on the DL than Sweat (and Chase) had been. Those two were more interested in getting sacks and not being disciplined in their rushes that they were actually a detriment to the defense because of it. Witness that we went 4-1 in the 5 games he was out in the middle of the season (with wins over TB, Sea, and a one score loss to Dallas). Go back and watch those games and then compare the pass rush from our DEs to the games vs the Chargers and Bills. While the sack total was not as high, the rush was more effective and led to poorer performance by the opposing QBs.

Can Sweat play well? YES

Did he play awesome last year? NO (even with 5 sacks)

Does he have something to prove (to me)? YES (he needs to show the one year in 2020 wasn't an aberration and show that he can stop playing undisciplined ball)

Do I think he can ball out this year? YES

Will I bet the house he will? NOPE

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCNative said:

So your suggesting letting Sweat and Payne go? What's really going on here? 

I have been firmly arguing to resign Payne this offseason.  I think not signing him is a big mistake especially if we haven't traded himyet.  I think Payne has been consistently good and also shown great flashes.

Sweat on the other hand has shown great flashes no doubt, but he has not been consistently good.  At this point he is an unreliable midling player who has all the tools, but can't seem to put it together consistently.  The bottom line is with Sweat's body of work thus far, would you pay Sweat nearly 20M/year?  I wouldn't.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I have been firmly arguing to resign Payne this offseason.  I think not signing him is a big mistake especially if we haven't traded himyet.  I think Payne has been consistently good and also shown great flashes.

Sweat on the other hand has shown great flashes no doubt, but he has not been consistently good.  At this point he is an unreliable midling player who has all the tools, but can't seem to put it together consistently.  The bottom line is with Sweat's body of work thus far, would you pay Sweat nearly 20M/year?  I wouldn't.  

Nope. Not for me at this point. Now, if he reverts to 2020 form? Yes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I agree here. A big part of the defensive problems was the lack of getting to the QB. The DTs were doing their job. But Sweat and Young were out of position on a lot of rushes and allowed the QB to escape the pocket by taking poor routes to the QB. They were both freelancing quite a bit for most of the year.

Well it was a DE issue but the biggest issue with our D the first 5 or 6 weeks of last year was our back 7. There was a lot of miscommunication, blown assignments & receivers being wide open. Chase & Sweat were close to having a few more sacks the first 5 or 6 weeks but the back 7 didn’t do it’s job, it was easy pitch and catch for the QBs & receivers. If Jamin takes a step in his development & our secondary plays this year as they did in Oct, Nov & the first few weeks of Dec before Covid hit, our entire D will be enter and Chase/Sweat will get home more on sacks. All they need is an extra second or 2.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Nope. Watch how he played in those 10 games. Look at the rushes. It's more than just sacks. How many times did he take a poor route and turn what should've been a sack (or a throwaway or a rushed pass) into the QB sliding out his side and completing a pass?

I'd like to see someone making excuses for Chase. AFAIK, no one here has been doing that. We've all been pretty critical of what Chase did last year as well.

See my first comment. See our pass rush when he went out for injury. It was much improved because the backups were actually doing their jobs rather than freelancing. Now, before you take that the wrong way, I did not say that the backups were better. I said they were playing better as a unit on the DL than Sweat (and Chase) had been. Those two were more interested in getting sacks and not being disciplined in their rushes that they were actually a detriment to the defense because of it. Witness that we went 4-1 in the 5 games he was out in the middle of the season (with wins over TB, Sea, and a one score loss to Dallas). Go back and watch those games and then compare the pass rush from our DEs to the games vs the Chargers and Bills. While the sack total was not as high, the rush was more effective and led to poorer performance by the opposing QBs.

Can Sweat play well? YES

Did he play awesome last year? NO (even with 5 sacks)

Does he have something to prove (to me)? YES (he needs to show the one year in 2020 wasn't an aberration and show that he can stop playing undisciplined ball)

Do I think he can ball out this year? YES

Will I bet the house he will? NOPE

5 sacks in and 3 forced fumbles in 10 games, I'm satisfied. You may not be.  Let's see Chase Young get those type of numbers consistently. This is just pure hate to get attention off of Chase Young. Chase Young has one little move so yea I'll just agree to disagree. Sweat has nothing to prove to me. I just hope he continues to progress as he has.