Kiwibrown

Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu vs Darrelle Revis   

72 members have voted

1. 1. who do you have?

2. 2. 2nd choice

3. 3. 3rd choice

On 5/8/2022 at 3:46 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Yes…in the 2000s. 

In today’s league, I don’t think he’d be a guy you want playing in a more traditional safety role. Meaning he’d be relegated to that “big safety” position, playing close to the LOS, preferably in a zone heavy scheme. That cuts his versatility compared to a guy like Reed, whose strength fits into any defense he plays in. 

If your position is that Troy would be able to play nickel and safety in today’s league at the level he did in 04-11, then we disagree on how his ability would translate. 

Yeah, I'm sure there are WRs walking around in today's league who are as good as Prime T.O. who Polamalu lined up against in 2004 and held to his only sub-100 yard game of the season.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:32 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

I'll never forget what Fitzgerald did to Troy in the SB. It was down right abusive. 

Troy just wasn't ever in the convo again with Ed Reed. In fact, I'd take Brian Dawkins over Troy too. 

And if we are talking 1 year peak. I think Revis was on any level that Reed showed for one year, but their careers are VASTLY different. Reed is the Goat safety. 

Revis may have a top 10 CB career, May. 

Your bolded comment pretty much shows you have no idea how schemes work.

47 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Anyway... I'm taking Reed or Polamalu (probably Reed in today's league, though I find it funny how Minkah Fitzpatrick gets dinged in today's league for being a Traditional Single High FS). Revis isn't really on their level, IMO.

Lol what Revis at his peak is as good as the CB position has ever been played 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Yeah, it's not like Troy Polamalu played Free Safety predominately in 2008 when the Steelers won a Super Bowl. Yeah, it's not like he was playing man coverage a crap ton in 2004, 2005 and 2006... People just make ridiculous statements on this site.

You think Troy would be as effective at all those roles in 2022 as he was in 2004-2006?

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

You think Troy would be as effective at all those roles in 2022 as he was in 2004-2006?

Are you insinuating that athletes somehow got that much better in less than 2 decades? Yes, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed woudl still be dominant in this era. They played against Prime Gronk for Christs sake.

48 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Are you insinuating that athletes somehow got that much better in less than 2 decades?

Better athletes + offenses evolving past what Troy’s strengths were. 

Yes, Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed woudl still be dominant in this era.

That’s not what I asked. And I sure as hell didn’t include Ed Reed in there. Two different caliber players, really.

They played against Prime Gronk for Christs sake.

You love to accuse everyone of talking out of their *** - would you like to post prime Gronk’s stats in 2 games vs Pittsburgh while Polamalu was there? 

You’re not making the silly, near delusional case that 16-237-1 is some sort of stat line to write home about? Of course all of that work wasn’t done 1 v 1 against Troy, but then why bring it up? To show that he was just literally present for the games that Gronk was going off on his defense? 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Better athletes + offenses evolving past what Troy’s strengths were. 

That’s not what I asked. And I sure as hell didn’t include Ed Reed in there. Two different caliber players, really.

You love to accuse everyone of talking out of their *** - would you like to post prime Gronk’s stats in 2 games vs Pittsburgh while Polamalu was there? 

You’re not making the silly, near delusional case that 16-237-1 is some sort of stat line to write home about? Of course all of that work wasn’t done 1 v 1 against Troy, but then why bring it up? To show that he was just literally present for the games that Gronk was going off on his defense? 

It’s funny because Gronk’s breakout games was his 3 TD day against Pittsburgh in 2010 lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

It’s funny because Gronk’s breakout games was his 3 TD day against Pittsburgh in 2010 lol

Yeah, that’s 21-309-4, Gronk in three games vs a Polamalu defense. And one of those games is rookie Gronk. 

• Like 2

I went with Revis mainly thinking about how as a GM I would draft for positional value with corners generally being much more coveted than safeties in todays league and I mean even back in the day Revis was the highest selection of the bunch. I wasn't factoring in hindsight for Revis lack of durability/longevity that Reed had, but if I was I would have to bring him down a peg. Reed also made more impact plays than Revis to give the ball back to his offense or just scoring a TD himself. So, I'd probably change my answer to him and then if you want to put Polamalu over Revis too, then that's cool. All 3 are some of the best DBs I've ever seen play, but all are really different flavors, so its hard to compare the three.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Revis: #1 CB just matters more than Safety. Revis was a perfect CB

Reed: Just incredible at everything. Dude could have been an elite box safety and a pretty damn good CB if the team had asked him to do it. That on top of being the best single high guy to ever do it. 

Polamalu: A unique talent with a nose for the ball and ability to create turnovers. A genuinely great player. 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:19 PM, AngusMcFife said:

Ronnie Lott would like a word. 

Ronnie Lott can have as many words as he'd like. I'm not taking him in any decade over Reed in which the forward pass accounts for more than 50% of offensive snaps.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:00 AM, cp0k2 said:

Ronnie Lott can have as many words as he'd like. I'm not taking him in any decade over Reed in which the forward pass accounts for more than 50% of offensive snaps.

Just so we're clear, you do know Ronnie Lott played his first 5 seasons as a CB during which he collected 23 Ints, 4 Pro Bowls, and an All Pro selection. 

I'm not sure where people get the idea he couldn't defend the pass or was some kind of liability in coverage. Dude would've been a HOFer at any position in the secondary. 

• Like 2