Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu vs Darrelle Revis

Kiwibrown

Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu vs Darrelle Revis   

72 members have voted

1. 1. who do you have?

2. 2. 2nd choice

3. 3. 3rd choice

As a Patriots fan, I watched Reed give Brady fits for years while he picked the Steelers apart every time they played. Reed scared me, Troy never did.

I also know that BB considers Reed the best safety ever, and rants and raves about how good he was at every opportunity, and I'm pretty confident he knows football better than I do.

I also think Revis' skillset is more valuable than Troy's, a genuine lockdown corner is pretty rare.

I would go: 1. Reed, 2. Revis, 3. Troy.

Edited by ChazStandard
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, NJC33 said:

In his prime, I'd take Revis over any DB. What he did in '09 was objectively foolish (Woodson winning DPOY will forever be mind-boggling).

His prime was short lived, so based on body of work, Reed seems like the obvious choice.

I mean Woodson was super elite that year too.

6 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

As a Patriots fan, I watched Reed give Brady fits for years while he picked the Steelers apart every time they played. Reed scared me, Troy never did.

I also know that BB considers Reed the best safety ever, and rants and raves about how good he was at every opportunity, and I'm pretty confident he knows football better than I do.

I also think Revis' skillset is more valuable than Troy's, a genuine lockdown corner is pretty rare.

I'll never forget what Fitzgerald did to Troy in the SB. It was down right abusive. 

Troy just wasn't ever in the convo again with Ed Reed. In fact, I'd take Brian Dawkins over Troy too. 

And if we are talking 1 year peak. I think Revis was on any level that Reed showed for one year, but their careers are VASTLY different. Reed is the Goat safety. 

Revis may have a top 10 CB career, May. 

7 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Their ganeplans against Baltimore was always based around Reed. He was the brains of that defense and Ray Lewis was the heart.

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

Reed and Polamalu were completely different types of safeties and Revis played an entirely different position.

I thought they were the best 3 defensive backs at different positions 

FS

Ss 

Cb

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I thought they were the best 3 defensive backs at different positions 

FS

Ss 

Cb

My point exactly, all three played three completely different positions. You're comparing an apple, an orange and a watermelon.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 12:50 PM, FrantikRam said:

Reed/Revis/Troy

But it's a tad insulting to Reed to even put him in this conversation.

I guess I never really thought about who the GOAT safety is, but IMO it's him by a big margin.

Ronnie Lott would like a word. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:04 PM, BillSabre said:

Honest question…… why is Revis in the conversation? 

It's an odd one alright. Revis was phenomenal, but Reed is in contention for best DB of all time and Troy is arguably the best splash-play/game breaking player I've seen in 20 years watching the sport. 

Woodson would have been a better one to put in. Considering how much harder it is to play DB compared to times past (which is always brought up for QB comparisons, justifiably - and around 2004-12 was especially brutal in my opinion) Ed and Charles each have serious GOAT arguments back there. 

• Like 1

I hope I don't get pilloried for saying this as a Ravens fan, but I think some on this thread may be slightly overrating Reed. He was a gambler, and sometimes got burned. I'm thinking of a 2006 game against the Panthers, where Reed vacated the middle of field to jump a TE crossing pattern, only to get burned over the top with a bomb to Steve Smith. Pretty much lost the game on that play. Having a playmaking weapon at FS was often great, but he also sometimes took risks that left his CBs out to dry. 

He is still a deserving 1st ballot HOF and in the discussion for one of the greatest safeties of all time. His highlight reel is an all time great, but those highlights sometimes were the result of very risky reads that at other times resulted in bad results too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Billy86 said:

It's an odd one alright. Revis was phenomenal, but Reed is in contention for best DB of all time and Troy is arguably the best splash-play/game breaking player I've seen in 20 years watching the sport. 

Woodson would have been a better one to put in. Considering how much harder it is to play DB compared to times past (which is always brought up for QB comparisons, justifiably - and around 2004-12 was especially brutal in my opinion) Ed and Charles each have serious GOAT arguments back there. 

I thought Revid was closer to the unanimous best cornerback from the 00's than Woodson, though there is certainly an argument for Woodson no doubt. Woodson obviously thr best playmaker of the two, though when it comes to the best cornerback I think there is a strong arguement that Revis had a better peak, while Woodson diversity of skills certainly made him both more versatile and he better ability to age in the nfl.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:47 AM, Yin-Yang said:

The thing is, I’m not sure how much versatility Troy has in today’s league. I don’t see him being an extremely effective coverage safety, he’d be relegated to a box-safety kind of role. Being the safety-LBer tweener is still useful, but it’s letting Troy play to his strengths. I think if Polanski isn’t playing in a creative zone-blitz defense, his value is diminished. 

As opposed to Ed Reed, whose ability as a single-high with the versatility to play around in other facets, would be valuable everywhere. His greatest strength can be used in any defense, unlike Troy’s.

Yeah, it's not like Troy Polamalu played Free Safety predominately in 2008 when the Steelers won a Super Bowl. Yeah, it's not like he was playing man coverage a crap ton in 2004, 2005 and 2006... People just make ridiculous statements on this site.