Around the NFL: (2022 Edition)

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

There's a better chance a DB is taken then the Eagles yet again wasting more draft capital on a Rookie QB.

In fact I'll go as far as to say baring injury basically derailing Jalen Hurts 3rd season. Not only is he not going anywhere,  he's going to start working in 2023 towards earning his 2nd contract.  Pissing a whole bunch of you off. 🙉

Prepare to complain for the foreseeable future EBD. Kids going to eat in his 2nd season in Sirianni's offense and Starter not having to rely on studs like Reagor, JJAW, Ward and Hightower for 70% of his WR production.

AJ, Smitty, Quez, Paschal, --->(#5WR Reagor)

I agree that Hurts gets a lot of undeserved hate. Not just from our fanbase, but from NFCE rivals and the whole NFL community at large.

He didn't ask Roseman to take him  a bit earlier (2nd round) than teams had him graded.

He didn't ask Wentz to melt down with his godawful play to get put in the starting line-up and then for him to have his agent go to the media about wanting out literally right before Jalen's first start against the Cardinals.

Hurts has done what he has always done since his freshman year at Bama and that's put his head down and worked hard and been a leader his team could get behind.

With that said, I get the reasons for some optimism and the obvious skepticism too. We just got to let this play out. I don't think any real Eagles fan should be rooting for Jalen to fail, but we can recognize where he needs to improve and discuss him without having to fight amongst each other. I think Jalen's rookie contract is what makes him so valuable to the Eagles. He would have to improve a good amount to be worth a big extension in a couple years. We might not select a QB in 2023 if he shows enough improvement like he did this year. Hopefully it would be a bigger jump in 2022 than what we saw from his rookie year, especially now that we got another WR that fits this offense so well in Brown and Jalen will have his first season in the same offense for a 2nd year since he played for his dad in HS which I was making a point of before it caught on with the masses.

To add onto the above post I think my takes on Jalen Hurts since last year have been pretty spot-on....

On 7/31/2021 at 9:06 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Jalen Hurts is really the antithesis of Carson Wentz. He is built for this market with his mental toughness. Love how he handles Philly media.

Now, hopefully his play is good enough that it allows him to be the franchise guy, cause his character is what this team/city needs.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

The writing below the quote is from Solak who I think has become increasingly negative about the Eagles, but he's right about the running ability not being accounted for.

Like how are Lamar and especially Kyler (#17 on PFF's list) being ranked so highly unless you're accounting for the running ability? Cause both have shown inconsistencies as passers. Kyler improved from his rookie year though and he should crack the top 20 for sure, but #7 while Hurts isn't even top 40? Laughable.

I really don't understand why the rookie QBs as a whole don't get cut much of a break for having no rookie minicamp, no OTAs, and a shortened training camp?

Especially Hurts who was throwing to 2nd and 3rd team receivers for all of camp and most of the season until Wentz was benched. So, he wasn't really able to establish the best rapport with his guys. Also, besides those facts even our first string receivers last year weren't good or healthy last year. Our o-line went through a ton of different combinations (Wentz experienced more of this obviously), but Hurts still only had 2 weeks in a row where the starters were the same on the OL and that was weeks 15 to 16 when we faced the Cardinals and then Cowboys, but I digress. We didn't have are stalwarts on the right side in Brooks and Johnson. We had a bunch of first year starters or bad back-ups like Pryor that saw time.

Not to mention Doug Pederson wasn't exactly doing either starting QB many favors although he did adjust the offense for Hurts more than Wentz to play to his strengths as a runner. Still the guy was unimaginative and underwhelming with his play calling overall. 

Speaking of coaches. I don't think its brought up enough how many different systems/offenses that Hurts has had to learn. Here is just a quick run down:

1. ) 2016 - Hurts true freshman year at Bama he had to learn under Kiffin & Sark to an extent for the championship game.
  2. ) 2017 - Then, Daboll takes over the offense and Hurts has to learn a new one, but he bolts for Buffalo after the year to eventually go on to coach Josh Allen as a rookie before turning down the opportunity to coach Hurts this offseason lol.
  3. ) 2018 - Kiffin comes back to enter the fray, so this was a return to the familiar for Hurts, but by this time he wasn't really playing at all as Tua was the starter, so it didn't really matter, but I figured I should detail every season.
  4. ) 2019 - Hurts transfers to Oklahoma where Lincoln Riley who had gotten good results out of Mayfield and Murray considering both went #1 overall and won the Heisman. Hurts unfortunately only had 1 season under him as a Senior before being drafted compared to Murray (2) and Mayfield (3), but he did have his best season by far and was 2nd in Heisman voting just edging out Fields in 3rd and way behind 1st in Burrow.
  5. ) 2020 - Hurts is selected in the 2nd round and has to learn Doug Pederson's offense with hardly any offseason like I talked about before.

So, that is 3 different offenses in 4 years of college and 4 different offenses in 5 years when you add in the Eagles as a rookie. Now, he will be going on to his 5th offense in 6 years...... that is A LOT. 

Bottom line: The guy only had the same offense in 2016 & 2018. In 2016 he was a true freshman thrust into a starting role and 2018 he was firmly on the bench behind Tua and just basically waiting till he was gonna transfer, so not sure how much good a familiar offense did that year.

I just don't see how you look at Hurts rookie season and drop him so far because of it. The guy had a ton going against him not just this past rookie season, but his whole college tenure as far as change. You would have to go back to his high school career where he played for his dad for any sort of stability in play calling which is pretty nuts. Hopefully for his and our sake... he does well enough in 2021 to where he can experience 2 years in a row under Sirianni.

If he can improve some accuracy wise and going through progressions with what should hopefully be a healthier/better o-line and receiving corp, then he has the work ethic and more importantly the mental make-up to make it in the league as a starter and in Philly which isn't something we could say about you know who. 

With all that said? Where would I rank Jalen Hurts in Simms' top 40 list?

Just based on how he played (taking context out of the equation) and the unknown with his improvements as a passer to year 2... I would put him around where he put Lock (one of the 2 or 3 worst QBs last year) and Tua at 33/34. 

So, I would probably put him #35 where Tyrod Taylor is, but he definitely should be somewhere on this list. It's ridiculous to leave him off in favor of back-ups and a 3rd round rookie QB (Kellen Mond) who was seen as a late day 2 to early day 3 projected player depending on who you talked to and someone that definitely needs to be developed. Like most of these guys aren't gonna even play unless the starters on their team get hurt. 

On 11/29/2021 at 3:02 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

If there isn't a QB that we want badly enough to draft in the first round and an elite QB isn't available for a reasonable price and not a boatload of picks (unlikely), then I'm more than cool with waiting to the 2023 draft to likely pull the trigger on our next franchise QB.

Hear me out here. I know everyone wants a better passer at QB. That much is blatantly obvious. I don't know what Jalen Hurts will ultimately be and definitely don't have strong feelings that he can be the franchise guy. He's always gonna be a pretty good athlete with underrated quickness and a really strong frame. He'll always enhance the run game. I think he'll improve as a passer with more reps and another off-season. He's never gonna turn into some brilliant processor like a Mac Jones. I think he actually has really nice touch on his deep ball when he has a solid base and is on time with it and not trying to throw a bomb that needs like Rodgers, Allen, or Stafford arm strength which he just doesn't have. 

I also think an underrated thing about Hurts that most of you don't bring up is I haven't seen a better Eagles QB for building culture (his attitude... taking full blame after losses like a HC, work ethic, connecting w/ his teammates, etc) and now obviously I know the first response to that is gonna be of the "He's a great leader... blah blah) and yes obviously you need to be good enough play wise too.

But, isn't building a culture here super important the first couple years of a new HC's tenure, especially when its a first time HC at that? 

Also, I've brought this point up before, but Hurts has had no continuity as far as the offense he played in since... he was coached by his dad lol.

It would be nice to see him get to play in the same offense for 2 years in a row. Continuity is really underrated in sports. You see guys a lot of the time in their second off-season with a new coach talk about how they understand the system so much better now and that's why they are playing better/faster. I feel like that rings even more true for the most important/demanding position in the sport for a guy who has never had that since HS like I said.  

Conclusion aka TLDR (cause I know you heathens didn't): Now, like I said I don't have strong feelings whatsoever that Hurts is the guy for years and years to come, but I'm cool with him helping set the tone for team building and see if he has a 3rd year jump (really its more like 2nd year but whatever lol) instead of pulling the trigger on a QB prospect we don't LOVE or paying a boatload of picks to go get an elite QB when the talent at a lot of spots needs an infusion of young talent. We are trying to set the team up for success not just in 2022, but for the rest of this decade.

High Five GIF by Back Row Radio

Also, doing this to slightly annoy @Jeezla;)

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There's a better chance a DB is taken then the Eagles yet again wasting more draft capital on a Rookie QB.

In fact I'll go as far as to say baring injury basically derailing Jalen Hurts 3rd season. Not only is he not going anywhere,  he's going to start working in 2023 towards earning his 2nd contract.  Pissing a whole bunch of you off. 🙉

Prepare to complain for the foreseeable future EBD. Kids going to eat in his 2nd season in Sirianni's offense and Starter not having to rely on studs like Reagor, JJAW, Ward and Hightower for 70% of his WR production.

AJ, Smitty, Quez, Paschal, --->(#5WR Reagor)

I hope you're right, just not holding my breath. I do think it's clear what their motive was for acquiring that extra 2023 1st.

11 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I hate that they’re making us wait till basically mid May for the schedule release. In 2019 it was released April 17th then 2020 pushed it back to May 7th and these past two years have been May 12th. I’d rather it comes out the day before or after the draft.

It does make more sense after though, draft changes a lot of narratives. Like I could see the titans game get a bump

23 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I hope you're right, just not holding my breath. I do think it's clear what their motive was for acquiring that extra 2023 1st.

I agree about waiting to see about Hurts. To add on, while I don't think it is the sole reason they traded for another first I'm 2023, I definitely think it was partially to hedge their bet on Hurts.

Also, no self respecting Eagles fan is rooting for Jalen Hurts to not turn into a legit franchise QB. We just think he needs to show a lot of improvement passing the ball in order to do that.

54 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I agree about waiting to see about Hurts. To add on, while I don't think it is the sole reason they traded for another first I'm 2023, I definitely think it was partially to hedge their bet on Hurts.

Also, no self respecting Eagles fan is rooting for Jalen Hurts to not turn into a legit franchise QB. We just think he needs to show a lot of improvement passing the ball in order to do that.

Yes I am absolutely rooting for Jalen to turn into a great QB we can win because of. I think it's possible, but not likely.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:43 AM, Folesadelphia said:

There are a lot of non-self respecting Eagles fans out there though.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

There's a difference between rooting for it and expecting it.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily talking about anybody here.

There is still Eagles fans who suck off Carson and hate on the Eagles and consider themselves Eagles fans. Twitter makes me see a bunch of crappy fans.

52 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, I'm not necessarily talking about anybody here.

There is still Eagles fans who suck off Carson and hate on the Eagles and consider themselves Eagles fans. Twitter makes me see a bunch of crappy fans.

Man, @TheRealMcCoyis one of the people that made Gio cry and lose Twitter privileges…you hate to see it…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Man, @TheRealMcCoyis one of the people that made Gio cry and lose Twitter privileges…you hate to see it…

Lmaooo I hate you. Nah, but seriously Gio is an awesome kid and can do whatever he wants. I fully understand why Carson was/is his hero with the story about The Dutch Destroyer and the wristband. I’m definitely talking about “adults” and I put it in quotes, cause Gio is more mature than any of those idiots.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Danger said:

There's a difference between rooting for it and expecting it.

Exactly, I think it is pretty crazy to act like Hurts is going no where and will be working on a 2nd contract soon. That is simply blind optimism. The Eagles refused to commit to Hurts all last offseason and refused to commit to him this past offseason while also trying to trade for Wilson/Watson. Hurts just doesn't have great tools when it comes to throwing the football. Can he overcome that? Yes. Is it likely? Probably not. We know Howie/Lurie are all about the passing game and would much prefer an elite QB to push the ball down the field than having a rushing oriented attack. I think Hurts would have to take a big step forward this year, along with playing very consistent all season for the Eagles not to look for a new QB next offseason. 

So apparently the jags took travon walker #1 overall just to move him to OLB? Pretty sure they run a 4-3

Hope they're planning on using him like Micah Parsons, but somehow I doubt they'll be able to use him as effectively as Dan Quinn used Micah Parsons