Realistic Expectations

Bigbear72

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I'd also add to this list...

Is the staff good at developing talent? That's going to play a big factor moving forward.

It's interesting to me way NFL works.  It seems most of non starter development is done in brief mini camps and then training camp.  Then it mostly stops.  

Once season starts as a practice squad or back up guy you aren't a lot more than a glorified scout body and all coaching attention shifts to starters and preparing for opponent for 4 days, rinse and repeat until end of year.

Seems a team that could step out of that box a bit may have an advantage.   NFL CBA may prohibit much live work during season though even for back ups and PS guys with each other.  But if not, why not? 

It would be worth some live time off to side in season each week.   You might better unearth some gems from the raw clay you take chances on each year in UDFA.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It's interesting to me way NFL works.  It seems most of non starter development is done in brief mini camps and then training camp.  Then it mostly stops.  

Once season starts as a practice squad or back up guy you aren't a lot more than a glorified scout body and all coaching attention shifts to starters and preparing for opponent for 4 days, rinse and repeat until end of year.

Seems a team that could step out of that box a bit may have an advantage.   NFL CBA may prohibit much live work during season though even for back ups and PS guys with each other.  But if not, why not? 

It would be worth some live time off to side in season each week.   You might better unearth some gems from the raw clay you take chances on each year in UDFA.  

Its too bad the NFL wants to hold a monopoly and the union wants to protect players so much, otherwise a 3 week summer league/program would be perfect. Either put together on 2-4 teams and each players gets the same amount of reps to showcase. Or let them run full contact drills against each other for 3 weeks. Maybe 7-7. Or let them compete against each others in skill challenges. After it's finished each player goes into a pool and teams get to choose from it starting in the same order as last years waiver order. This ensures the worst teams get first dibs.

This would give them some real experience and separate the really good ones from average. It would also give teams a better look at a players health and how well they treat their bodies.  

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Rodgers only playing 6 games in 2017 and 1 of those he shouldn't have played at all.

And 2018?

We can even go back to 2015 and 2016. Without addressing free agency how they did in 2019, they were 10-6. Certainly not anything to complain about but a far cry from 13-3/13-4 annually

Edited by beardown3231

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

We have seen that play out before. But the point of the thread and the point you seem to be missing was what were your expectations based upon where we stand right now. This was not in any shape or form meant to turn into yet another thread about "the FO didn't do what I wanted them to do so I'm going to pout about it." You have expressed what you have expressed here a thousand times over. We get it. You want Justin Fields to succeed above all else. I'm sure you will express that in the next 10 threads created even if the topic is what is your favorite sandwich.

In this thread I literally never said once "the FO didn't do what I wanted them to do" and pouted. I simply agreed with JAF's post that the biggest thing is Fields' development, but hey if you want to try to be humorous and obtuse because you think every position is as important as QB, be my guest

Edited by beardown3231

9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

You said 3 years and what were you missing. Rodgers not playing for about 1/3 of this time matters. As does a new staff.

In 2018, he played in every game and they won 6 games. Weeks later they hired a new staff. 3 months later they spent a ton of money in free agency. They've won a ton of games after that. You can give all of the credit to the coaches if you want. I'm just saying sometimes you have to spend (intelligently) in free agency and go outside of your comfort zone to improve your roster. It can't be all done in the draft with a few boner signings

Edited by beardown3231

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

In this thread I literally never said once "the FO didn't do what I wanted them to do" and pouted. I simply agreed with JAF's post that the biggest thing is Fields' development, but hey if you want to try to be humorous and obtuse because you think every position is as important as QB, be my guest

Sure, you got it bro.

IMO success is being 6-11 again or better.  Poles has said we're in a rebuild, I'm not expecting a division title this year(I won't complain if we win it though)

Fields must improve on: 58.89 completion percentage, 7 TDs, less than 10 INTs, much less than 12 fumbles and 36 sacks

Monty and Mooney giving us 1000 yards rushing and receiving respectively

Another receiver(any) stepping up for 500-800 yards

More than 33 total TDs

21 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

1. What would you view moving forward as success for the front office? 

2. What would you view as a successful campaign for the coaching staff? What would be your criteria and how would you measure that success?

3. How would you measure player success? What would you like to see from but the offensive and defensive side of the ball?

Completely subjective answers from my end:

1 and 2. Sustained playoff contention, and when we get there, I want too feel like we actually belong there. We squeezed into the playoffs under Nagy but I NEVER had a lot of confidence we where going places....

For the front office specifically that means home grown talent and just overall roster construction.

For the coaching staff it's as simple as the team looking competent on the field.

3. Player success wise... offensively I want to see a 4500 yard Bears QB with a better than  3-1 TD:INT ratio. Currently we're the only team in the entire league to not even crack 4k passing yards.  Regarding the running game, I just want to have confidence that a 1-2 yard "to go" is actually converted at a decent rate. It's more subjective than objective, but seriously we get to 3rd and 1, and I EXPECT a punt, and have for years.

This season I'd be satisfied with top 17 offense.

Defensively, after spending our first two picks on defensive players, both of whom I admittedly REALLY like as prospects I'm expecting a top 10 defense. Even despite the coaching change, and scheme change. Next year, I'm expecting the defense to rank in the top 5. There's simply too much talent on that side of the ball now to suck.

14 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Its too bad the NFL wants to hold a monopoly and the union wants to protect players so much, otherwise a 3 week summer league/program would be perfect. Either put together on 2-4 teams and each players gets the same amount of reps to showcase. Or let them run full contact drills against each other for 3 weeks. Maybe 7-7. Or let them compete against each others in skill challenges. After it's finished each player goes into a pool and teams get to choose from it starting in the same order as last years waiver order. This ensures the worst teams get first dibs.

This would give them some real experience and separate the really good ones from average. It would also give teams a better look at a players health and how well they treat their bodies.  

I like the thinking, but they already work these guys pretty good in summer.   You can’t add another month of banging find a starter from it and then ask him to play a full season right after.  You would break him. 

I am talking about the near wasting of the entire fall and winter for many.  The PS and back up guys are essentially doing 3 quarter speed scout reps for 5 months following end of camp and falling further behind.   It’s like getting put in slow class in school.

The starters are getting beat up on Sundays and recovering during week.  You can’t bang them. 

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I like the thinking, but they already work these guys pretty good in summer.   You can’t add another month of banging find a starter from it and then ask him to play a full season right after.  You would break him. 

I am talking about the near wasting of the entire fall and winter for many.  The PS and back up guys are essentially doing 3 quarter speed scout reps for 5 months following end of camp and falling further behind.   It’s like getting put in slow class in school.

The starters are getting beat up on Sundays and recovering during week.  You can’t bang them. 

I could be wrong on this as well.  Going off articles and what not.  I have never been to an NFL in season practice.  

best case scenario is:

our young guys take the next step - 1/33/85/11/76/75/99 most importantly

50% of the rookie class plays meaningful snaps and looks like future players - gordon/brisk/vjj/jones

we play smart, sound football....but lose. a lot

snag a top 2 pick - get a kings ransom for a team looking to get either stroud or young

we reload

28 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

best case scenario is:

50% of the rookie class plays meaningful snaps and looks like future players - gordon/brisk/vjj/jones

snag a top 2 pick - get a kings ransom for a team looking to get either stroud or young

we reload

If we lose so many games we are drafting 2nd Bears fans are going to lose their minds.

Mark my words.

They will be really happy at draft season though. LOL

Nightmare scenario is that due to way season went the call is for a QB with that pick.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

best case scenario is:

we reload

The meatheads and media would go crazy but it is the best case scenario. The only other thing I want to see is Fields become THE Leader of this team and have guys look to and follow him in close games. If he develops that , the stats are meaningless and we have our first true franchise QB since Johnny Lujack. Mcmahon was close but he ended up liking to bend his elbow better that going to win championships with his colleagues.