Realistic Expectations

Bigbear72

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is an excellent point.

So this guys is just gonna gloss over the elephant in the room huh 😆.

Belichick>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Poles/Eberflus

Also, Hunter Henry/Jonnu Smith>>>>>>Kmet/bunch-of-nobodies

I guess I also don't see the point in looking at another teams mistake in order to justify your own.

Do the Patriots lack offensive weapons for Jones? Yes. But so do the Bears and none of this changes that fact. 

• Like 1

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

I guess I also don't see the point in looking at another teams mistake in order to justify your own.

Do the Patriots lack offensive weapons for Jones? Yes. But so do the Bears and none of this changes that fact. 

I don't feel he is glossing over anything...it's not like he is trying to say the situation is the exact same...I think what he is saying is both us & the Pats went into the draft with everyone saying we both needed to add weapons and both teams never done that to the level most expected...

The story nationally (not our beat writers who actually know) is that we don't seem to have faith in Fields...not heard a single bit of that about Jones...just interesting how different franchises get different coverage after the fact.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't feel he is glossing over anything...it's not like he is trying to say the situation is the exact same...I think what he is saying is both us & the Pats went into the draft with everyone saying we both needed to add weapons and both teams never done that to the level most expected...

The story nationally (not our beat writers who actually know) is that we don't seem to have faith in Fields...not heard a single bit of that about Jones...just interesting how different franchises get different coverage after the fact.

Yeah maybe, but they have been riding him pretty hard too about the draft though. Especially Strange and Thorton.

38 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I guess I don't get why he's comparing the Bears and Pats. Maybe I need to read the twitter thread but what do the teams have to do with one another? They haven't played each other since 2018.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I guess I don't get why he's comparing the Bears and Pats. Maybe I need to read the twitter thread but what do the teams have to do with one another? They haven't played each other since 2018.

He's comparing the fact that both have second year QBs with not a lot of weapons to throw to and the fact that there was no seemingly big effort to sign receivers to the rosters to help them.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

don't feel he is glossing over anything...it's not like he is trying to say the situation is the exact same...I think what he is saying is both us & the Pats went into the draft with everyone saying we both needed to add weapons and both teams never done that to the level most expected...

People in general been slobbering all over Mack Jones' relatively successful year as well compared to the rest of the rookie qbs, but always leaving out that the Patriots had a much better roster in place when he got there, and that of all the Rookie QB's last year, Mac was probably asked to do the absolute least of any of them.  They had that one game against buffalo where they only attempted a couple of passes the entire game, for example.   Meanwhile Nagy was all "Fields is a rookie in one of his first games against star pass rushers with a weak offensive line? Let's drop back and try to pass 45x to no name receivers #conviction #beyou

I pointed out last year that 2021 Bears and Pats had very similar talent level.   My point was Pats were doing well and Bears weren’t because way they chose to do things and coaching.  

Mac is also farther along than Fields because of way they handled it even though Fields is greater talent.  

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

Meanwhile Nagy was all "Fields is a rookie in one of his first games against star pass rushers with a weak offensive line? Let's drop back and try to pass 45x to no name receivers #conviction #beyou

You could specify “while trying to single block a #1 overall pick DE and HOF level talent 1-on-1 over and over again with a 4th string OT making his first career regular season appearance” too.

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

Are you ready for a more optimistic take on offense from me?  I have been fairly negative this offseason.  

Thought I would give other side of things and a positive spin.   

So I was listening to this interview with a former NFL scout in middle of night last night or night before and he made a number of good points.  Very good interview.  I will post link below.  I like that guy - the old one.   I feel like I could be friends with that guy.  Anyway.  

We may be underestimating our weapon talent level and national media definitely is.

Let me go through some of the names and some positive thoughts and observations.

Mooney - When I watch him play he is open constantly even if the doesn't get ball.   He gets separation in a league where few people get separation.  He runs well after catch.  He even blocks well despite giving up a lot of lbs.   Apparently there is some debate happening somewhere I am missing where people are asking if he is a no. 1.   I don't think he is a no. 1.   I think no. 1s are the elite players of the league.   But he is a darn good no. 2.

E St. Brown - St. Brown looked like a good prospect coming out of college.   Raw but high upside.  Great athlete that is undeniable.   Argument against him is he has done nothing in league to date and his QB was Aaron Rodgers.  How is he going to be better or even good with Bears when he was bad in GB?

Well what do we know about Rodgers?  He has a dog house and you can get in it and not get out.   Most of his family is still in it.   

Getsy worked with St. Brown every single day and he wanted him on Bears.   That is telling.  He didn't want him because he thinks he sucks or is a camp body. 

St. Brown little brother who is smaller and slower but same genetics balled out last year in his rookie year with Goff as his QB.   ESB by the below scouts estimation has really improved in route running since rookie year, he looks like a pro now.   Given a clean slate ESB may be better player than public (us)  and media know.   Getsy should know.

Pringle - My complaint on Pringle is he has done nothing and Reid didn't want him.   Why not if he is good?  That makes no sense.  But flip side to that is Poles was there also and he did want him.  Poles wanted him fairly badly at that.   And Reid has publicly said since then he loved Pringle as a player and spoke glowingly about him and his future prospects.  

He is big, fast and has good hands.  Maybe Pringle, given opportunity and reps is better than people know or expect.

V. Jones - Complaint is lack of production and age.   But like ESB he could be both a late bloomer and a victim of circumstance.   Given opportunities he looked real good in 2021.  His QB and his offense kind of sucked.   But Jones real big and real fast and exhibits soft hands.   It doesn't matter if you are 25, 20 or 30, 4.3 is fast and 4.3 shows up on film in pads with this guy as well.  He isn't just track fast.

Fields - I believe QBs make WRs more so than WRs make QBs.  Fields development was botched last year.   This year he is the man from day 1.   It will make a difference by Sept./Oct.   He will gain a repo ire with the best guys on the team this year and not the bottom of roster.   Reps matter.   Fields can't be worse than last year and Dalton was awful so Bears will be better here.  

Montgomery - Monty may be one of must underrated players in league.  nuff said.   He is good.   

Jenkins - I thought Jenkins was a solid late first round talent at OT.  Based on college tape nothing has changed my mind on that.   If his back is good he should be big addition with a full offseason and camp.  

Borom - I just watched Borom play RT vs. MN in last game of season.   He looked like he belonged and was doing fine.   

Patrick - This guy is already being looked at as a leader on OL.   That is telling.  Huge improvement over Mustipher.  

Whitehair - Didn't look great last year, but is still in prime years.  He has looked very good in past and can do so again.

RG - Nothing really positive here sorry.   It cannot be Mustipher or Dozier.   Some new vet, a rookie or UDFA has to emerge.   Actually, positive is Daniels missed a heck of a lot of blocks last couple of years and he isn't there anymore.   It was keystone cops at times between inside 3 last few years.    

Kmet - Kmet looks like he has gotten both leaner and bigger this offseason from photos.  He made a rather large jump from year 1 to 2.   He needs to make another jump and start crossing goal line.   By all accounts a very smart guy and hard worker.   No reason to think he has hit his ceiling and won't make another jump.

Getsy - Getsy has to be better than Nagy, right?  Nagy's absence should make a difference.  

Robinson - Why Robinson when he is gone?  Because while Robinson is better player to date than any of above WRs, he did not play like it last year.   Losing 2021 Robinson is not a great loss in that sense.   Now 2022 Rams Robinson will probably be quite good, but we weren't getting that guy.   We are getting a motivated guy trying to make a name in the league.  A willing blocker and a guy that finishes routes.  A guy that will get tons of reps with Fields for next several months that 2021 Robinson didn't get.   

All things considered despite conventional wisdom and paper stats we should be looking at an improvement in 2022 O over 2021 O due to above factors.

Even if it is just one of ESB, Pringle, Jones or Kmet who takes a large step up.          

Here is video I discussed above:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

E St. Brown - St. Brown looked like a good prospect coming out of college.   Raw but high upside.  Great athlete that is undeniable.   Argument against him is he has done nothing in league to date and his QB was Aaron Rodgers.  How is he going to be better or even good with Bears when he was bad in GB?

Well what do we know about Rodgers?  He has a dog house and you can get in it and not get out.   Most of his family is still in it.   

Getsy worked with St. Brown every single day and he wanted him on Bears.   That is telling.  He didn't want him because he thinks he sucks or is a camp body.

I hate this argument for any player. Look, just because a coach wants a player it doesn't mean they are any good. Coaches get this wrong all of the time. Loggains also wanted Kendall Wright because his ties in Tennessee and we saw how that worked out.

Also, saying he wasn't good because he was in Rodgers doghouse is a reach. If he was in Rodgers doghouse then it was for a good reason. I have yet to see one WR who didn't get a lot of opportunities in GB go elsewhere and blow up.  GB gets it right at WR.  They are a WR factory.

Pringle - My complaint on Pringle is he has done nothing and Reid didn't want him.   Why not if he is good?  That makes no sense.  But flip side to that is Poles was there also and he did want him.  Poles wanted him fairly badly at that.   And Reid has publicly said since then he loved Pringle as a player and spoke glowingly about him and his future prospects.  

He is big, fast and has good hands.  Maybe Pringle, given opportunity and reps is better than people know or expect.

As I pointed out here Ried has a good eye for talent and he will very rarely let go of a good player. He also knows when it's time to move on. And if he decides a player isn't good enough than more times than not he ends up being right and it shows when they leave and fail on other teams.

Fields - I believe QBs make WRs more so than WRs make QBs.  Fields development was botched last year.   This year he is the man from day 1.   It will make a difference by Sept./Oct.   He will gain a repo ire with the best guys on the team this year and not the bottom of roster.   Reps matter.   Fields can't be worse than last year and Dalton was awful so Bears will be better here.

Fields needs to show a big improvement because right now he's looking like Mitch and Haskins.

hcTtJIJ.png

One thing Nagy was right about was wanting to sit Fields.
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 5:46 PM, Madmike90 said:

This is an excellent point.

Well, Chicago needs legitimate talented WR’s to make the offense work. NE needs part time high school gym teachers to make it work. 

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Fields needs to show a big improvement because right now he's looking like Mitch and Haskins.

hcTtJIJ.png

One thing Nagy was right about was wanting to sit Fields.

Let me understand this , Nagy was right in giving Fields less than half the reps in preseason and most not with first string. By doing that he is not completely ready and his stats are ugly and you think the solution was to sit his azz for the year? I can't see how anyone gets better doing a task by not doing the task. I know this is an opinion forum and this is your opinion. So I do not mean to be disrespectful just dont follow your logic.

• Like 1