Realistic Expectations

Bigbear72

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Fields needs to show a big improvement because right now he's looking like Mitch and Haskins.

hcTtJIJ.png

One thing Nagy was right about was wanting to sit Fields.

Thought we all agreed about retconning his first season due to so many factors weighing against his production and development 

31 minutes ago, RTD said:

Let me understand this , Nagy was right in giving Fields less than half the reps in preseason and most not with first string.

Not preseason. I don't have a problem with guys getting reps in preseason. In fact, that's the perfect time. That's what it's for.

By doing that he is not completely ready and his stats are ugly and you think the solution was to sit his azz for the year?

Yes, if a QB isn't ready then the worst thing you can do is throw him out there. Especially with a OC who is in way over his head and the OL is down to its 3rd string and a 40 year old LT.

I can't see how anyone gets better doing a task by not doing the task.

That's because none of us are NFL QBs and I prefer to form my opinion around those guys who are. Shanny is also one of he best HCs/OCs in the league and I rather listen to him when he decided to sit Lance last year.

There is a lot of evidence out there that show the benefits of a QB sitting for a year.

Aaron Rodgers explains benefits for developing a quarterback on the bench

"There's a lot of growth that can happen sitting on the bench," he said. "You can really gain in confidence every single day of practice. You can come along at your own speed. You're obviously not dealing with the pressure every week of having to perform, which is a real thing. You come along and learn the league, learn how to be a professional and learn how to take care of your body."

"You're taking some chances on the (scout team)," Rodgers said. "Knowing how to fit balls in spots or use your eyes for some major eye-control stuff and some look-off plays. Just working on things every single day."

Without wins and losses to measure his progress, Rodgers focused on completions.

"Work on my fundamentals," he said. "Work on my footwork; try and get my timing down. Try and put some of the plays that we were running of the other team's into our language, so you start to work on timing up drops with the receiver routes.

Former NFL QB Alex Smith Has Honest Comment About His Rookie Season

Why Patrick Mahomes credits Alex Smith for his early career success

"I learned a ton from Alex Smith," Mahomes said. "I attribute a lot of my success, especially so early in my career, to him.

"The way he was able to go about being a professional, going out and having the great year he had my first year, and just seeing how he went about it every single day," Mahomes continued. "How he game-planned, how he recognized coverages. He didn't hold anything back from me. He taught me. That's just the type of person he was, and he is."

Patrick Mahomes reveals what he learned behind Alex Smith as a rookie

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Thought we all agreed about retconning his first season due to so many factors weighing against his production and development 

Don't get me wrong, I'm on Fields' side here. His potential is through the roof.  I recognize that his staff did him no favors but let's not act like he's devoid of blame either.

Nagy wanted to sit Fields and run with Dalton but Pace wanted him to start (probably to save his job). Then Dalton got injured and Pace got his wish. Nagy didn't think Fields was ready and it showed. How many QBs get called for (was it offsides? )---I can't remember the exact call. It was something you don't see everyday.  Much less twice in one game.

Now, was Nagy sabotaging Fields to prove a point? Maybe. That is certainly up for debate. Especially considering how he treated Arob (Fields best target).

I think that it would be unfair to tie expectations to wins and losses giving the current situation and the state that the franchise has been left in. I haven't fully embraced one way or another if the current plan is correct so I am taking a wait and see approach. I know that this strategy has worked in other sports but I will say that with other sports this strategy is more effective quicker due to smaller roster sizes and the immediate impact that just a few players can make. I will reserve judgement until this time next year after another offseason. 

From a coaching and player perspective I would like to finally see competent coaching and discipline play. I would like to see positional growth especially at the QB position. I want to see solid fundamental football. Most importantly, I want to see the beginnings of an actual NFL offense. There is still a lot of work to be done and we still need a lot of talent on this roster. I'm interested to see how this will play out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I think that it would be unfair to tie expectations to wins and losses giving the current situation and the state that the franchise has been left in. I haven't fully embraced one way or another if the current plan is correct so I am taking a wait and see approach. I know that this strategy has worked in other sports but I will say that with other sports this strategy is more effective quicker due to smaller roster sizes and the immediate impact that just a few players can make. I will reserve judgement until this time next year after another offseason. 

From a coaching and player perspective I would like to finally see competent coaching and discipline play. I would like to see positional growth especially at the QB position. I want to see solid fundamental football. Most importantly, I want to see the beginnings of an actual NFL offense. There is still a lot of work to be done and we still need a lot of talent on this roster. I'm interested to see how this will play out. 

If strategy is to lose and get a high pick you have to actually lose.  

Bears usually tend to win just enough to be out of range of really valuable selections and trade capital.  

It doesn’t appear that they are tanking for a high pick, nor does it appear they are trying to create a competitive team for 2022. 

I think are just middling for time being and using 2022 to assess and add some young building blocks.  

We don’t talk about him basically at all which is a little unusual since he was a draft pick and not a UDFA, but the idea of looking at him like an upside 6th from this year with a redshirt year under his belt isn’t unfair or homerish IMO. Nagy didn’t play him last year, but it’s not as though he has a sterling record for putting the right guys in the right positions either.

With that said, he doesn’t have anything in his skill set that’s unique when compared to others we’ve brought in this year. He’s not stop watch fast. His size is pretty average. We’ve added several other PR. For a guy where he was/is on the depth chart you’d expect he’d be doing what he can to join Mooney and Kmet in working with Fields in the offseason, and I haven’t heard anything like that about him. He’s certainly still got an uphill battle, and if I had to peg him for a most likely 2022 role with the Bears it’s on the PS, but I do think he’s gonna get a real shot to earn reps at the bottom half of the depth chart. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We don’t talk about him basically at all which is a little unusual since he was a draft pick and not a UDFA, but the idea of looking at him like an upside 6th from this year with a redshirt year under his belt isn’t unfair or homerish IMO. Nagy didn’t play him last year, but it’s not as though he has a sterling record for putting the right guys in the right positions either.

With that said, he doesn’t have anything in his skill set that’s unique when compared to others we’ve brought in this year. He’s not stop watch fast. His size is pretty average. We’ve added several other PR. For a guy where he was/is on the depth chart you’d expect he’d be doing what he can to join Mooney and Kmet in working with Fields in the offseason, and I haven’t heard anything like that about him. He’s certainly still got an uphill battle, and if I had to peg him for a most likely 2022 role with the Bears it’s on the PS, but I do think he’s gonna get a real shot to earn reps at the bottom half of the depth chart. 

In previous regimes (Fox and Nagy) you see a mid to late round guy or UDFA do well in camp or preseason or it gets reported as such and then nothing happens.  He doesn't move up depth chart.  He doesn't get any game reps or few and often stays on PS.

So even if he looks good during public viewing sessions or beat reporters are hyping them it doesn't necessarily mean much to the coaches.

There were exceptions; like Mooney and Cohen.  Both looked good early in camp, were reported as such and both played early.  

First indication that someone is being noticed or appreciated is they make 53 and next is actual playing time in reg season games.  A big preseason game doesn't necessarily get it done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It's tough when you are low priority and weren't one of the new GMs pick.