2023 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

So I know it’s very early and the 2022 Draft just ended, but this is called ‘footballs future’ for a reason.

That and this forum truly has an insatiable appetite for finding the first/next great Ravens receiver.

So now that EDC as rightfully put the franchise back into a dearth or WR talent, I only felt it right to get this thread started early for anyone who would like to submit guys they stumbled across while scouting 2022 prospects.

I know Kyle Hamilton was someone that popped while I was scouting JOK and then later after we drafted Hayes.

Creed Humphrey popped for me while scouting 2019 Centers and then Tyler Linderbaum popped while I was scouting 2021 centers. I know someone else mentioned Daniel Faalele back in like 2019/2020 as popping while watching Bateman’s tape. Devonta Smith popped for me while watching Jerry Jeudy’s tape of course.

What are some names that popped for you and/or you’ve got a watch list out on for in the 2023 class?

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

I’ll start off with a big WR prospect that could be of interest to us. I haven’t done a deep WR dive to this point, but some of the top names that I glanced at hadn’t impressed me as much.

Though one guy who has indeed impressed me to this point, though he appears to be an older prospect (which is disappointing): A.T. Perry

^^^ What I like:
- He’s a tall target, he’s got some quality height and length, nice enough speed to get behind guys, fluid mobility for his size, has flashed using his length to create separation at the top of his route.

What I don’t like:
- Doesn’t appear to be a natural hands catcher, not a very physical specimen, goes down at first contact based off what I’ve seen, and he doesn’t appear to be someone that attacks the ball at its highest point. He lets it come to him enough of the time and thus for a big receiver he doesn’t play particularly “big”. Plays more like a *taller, slightly slower Calvin Ridley type.

But you can’t teach his size and I’ll at least have him on my watchlist to see if he’s someone that changes my mind as the process continues, either way he could prove to be a good mid round target if we double dip.

Edited by diamondbull424
Not sure why I said shorter before, meant to say taller

10 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

@diamondbull424only name we should care about in the state of MD is Dontay Demus Jr. 😁

Just watched his West Virginia tape. Based off of that, I’m not a fan. I see a WR winning because he’s beating up on inferior athleticism/talent, not because of route precision and instincts.

I wasn’t impressed by his spatial awareness nor his hands. Saw multiple drops on that tape that didn’t seem to be concentration drops but drops just because he wasn’t as natural at bringing it in.

His spatial awareness also didn’t impress me with him stepping out of bounds on a play that had a chance to get into the endzone, but where he didn’t know where he was on the field/understand what maneuver he could do with where he was on the field.

Lastly I also felt like he was a terrible blocker for someone his size. He’s 6’4” 220+ lbs it looked like and yet he consistently missed guys in space and I got the impression that his blocking “whiffs” were actually intentional. No way a guy misses that often if not allergic to blocking. It was some Randy Moss level absurdity.

I felt his overall football instincts were  lacking and I just didn’t see a player that screamed “Raven” to me, personally.

I did see an explosive athlete with size and so I can see why he would see some hype, but from my vantage point and I’ll have to watch more of him, but I see a fringe day two pick at best, depending on the depth of the 2023 WR class.

Edited by diamondbull424

Haven’t watched more than just this showing here, but just from this snippet, I felt Rakim Jarrett is definitely the superior WR prospect coming from UMD.

Far better instincts in the open field, far more physical blocker, more natural hands catcher, has some definite explosive ability. Great spatial awareness and seems to have natural football instincts.

I’d put a “plays like a Raven” tag onto him based on this so far. I’ll need to watch more for a proper comparison, but I could see some Derrick Mason to his game.

I don’t really follow UMD,  so I don’t know much about him, but he seemed to pop more for me.

edit: Robert Woods also came to mind. But again, I’ll need to watch more of him.

Edited by diamondbull424

On 5/10/2022 at 1:00 AM, diamondbull424 said:

What are some names that popped for you

I watched the Rose Bowl.  Does Jaxon Smith-Njigba count? 😅

(Not that we should have any chance of drafting him)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

You never know, all it takes is a deeper WR class and a late season torn ACL for a talented prospect to fall.

That or a slower than expected 40 time or something.

But yeah I haven’t even watched his tape for that exact reason that I feel he’s probably out of our range.

• 5 months later...
29 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I like the idea of Quentin Johnston. Tall wide receiver that can make plays. Someone that you hope can go up for the ball at its highest point and make difficult grabs.

But his hands are double catch central too often IMO and I don’t like the fact that he’s consistently played 8 games/season to this point coupled with the durability issues we’ve had at WR.

Yet the more I watch the 2023 WRs it seems to be more and more clear that it’s an overrated group.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yet the more I watch the 2023 WRs it seems to be more and more clear that it’s an overrated group.

Agree. It's early but class looks mediocre. 

I'd rather trade two 1sts+ for a proven elite option like Justin Jefferson(Vikes would never trade him) then draft one of these guys. It's CB all day for me. 

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Agree. It's early but class looks mediocre. 

I'd rather trade two 1sts+ for a proven elite option like Justin Jefferson(Vikes would never trade him) then draft one of these guys. It's CB all day for me. 

Exactly. 2024 WR class with Marvin Harrison Jr at the top looks studly. I’d absolutely, with this organizations history at the position, pull a Julio and trade two 1st round picks to obtain him.

But that’s a long ways away. But yeah I’m this class I’m thinking CB, 34 DE, and OG/OT are on my radar.

We’re likely losing Campbell and could use an elite interior guy to open things up for the edge guys we hope develop.

Corner is obvious as Hump is very good, but not elite, and Peters is getting older and we can use a NCB too (which Hump can play).

And Zeitler and/or Moses could be approaching retirement in the near future. Plus LG could be upgraded too, so if we can get an elite OL option I wouldn’t put it out of the question either.

Ideally we retain Smith and that removes the need for an impact ILB for years to come. Safety should also be in good shape as well.

So if we go WR it’s probably more of a 3rd/4th round type guy with traits IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 5:52 AM, drd23 said:

A year after the fact nearly and we just might have a “chance” at drafting him. With the injury all season, if he runs poorly, we’d certainly have a shot at him.

On another note, Rome Odunze is jumping into my radar as someone we should be interested in. I don’t know if he’s legit 6’3” or if they’re embellishing his height, but he looks to be at least 6’1.5” and around 205-210 lbs.

For someone his size, I like the movement skills. He reminds me a bit of Michael Crabtree coming out of Texas Tech with his plus movement skills, strong route running, and play strength. Odunze looks to have reliable hands as well. I’ve been impressed with all the things he can do and he looks like he could be a really good Redzone threat with his combination of quickness, strength, and size.