2023 CFB Talk/Draft Prospects

Posted this elsewhere and this sort of expands on my list from earlier. I’ve watched a little more tape and stack it similarly as before. Perhaps a few more pro comps as well.

Tier One (90% confident about being annual 1,000 yd type WR)
1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
- Pro bloodlines, incredibly productive in HS and college. He’s not Megatron, but is incredibly savvy as a route runner and great at finding space. Elite body control, IQ, and quickness. He’s an elite slot, an elite 3rd down machine, and that’s something that matters a lot in todays nfl.
- Pro Comparison:
Keenan Allen and Cooper Kupp

Tier Two (75% confident about being annual 1,000 yd type WR)
2. Quentin Johnston
- Incredible athlete that consistently finds ways to break tackles; runs with power and explosiveness. Can bully defenders after the catch. Feel like he double catches or doesn’t always cleanly catch the ball and that could be a problem at the next level, his hands. I don’t think he’s a natural “receiver” and won’t ever be mistaken for Larry Fitzgerald or Randy Moss in the hands department.
- Pro Comparison: 
DK Metcalf

3. Jalin Hyatt
- You can’t teach speed. Some abilities do and don’t translate to the next level as well as you hope, but elite hamstrings with elite ball tracking ability always translates (outside of injury). Hyatt isn’t just a track guy, his ability to track the football is partly what is so special with him. He’s not just toasting future Real Estate agents and Lawyers like some of these other WRs, but he’s burning some of the best of what the SEC has to offer on a weekly basis. Downside is his route running isn’t elite, he plays out of the slot and is protected from physicality, and he’s faster than he is quick. If he’s going to develop into more than an elite deep threat, he’s got a lot to work on, but his floor as an elite weapon in one area is enough to work with IMO.
- Pro Comparison:
Mike Wallace

4. Rakim Jarrett
- Incredibly explosive athlete. He looks like a high 4.3 low 4.4 guy, with elite agility as well. Route running isn’t elite, but is above average. Concentration drops. Can perform inside and outside. Very high potential. Feels like the type whose low production was partly due to an offensive ceiling and not due to a player ceiling. Like if he were playing for an Ohio State within a more explosive offense, he could have put up 1200 yds, which is ironic due to who I compare him to…
- Pro Comparison: “Scary Terry” McLaurin

Tier Three (50% confident about being annual 1,000 yd type WR)
5. Kayshon Boutte
- Boutte comes with durability questions and character concerns. But when he plays he’s an explosively smooth athlete. He was more physical in previous years and had some YAC ability but looked noticeably more thin this past season. Assuming he’s more what he was in 2021 vs 2022, then he provides serious upside.
- Pro Comparison:
Chris Godwin

6. Marvin Mims
- Fast, quick, explosive. A little undersized, but plays bigger than his size. Attacks the ball at the catch point. Great, but not elite long speed, probably a high 4.3 or low 4.4 guy. Play style reminds me eerily of Jaylen Waddle with how he moves on the field… only he’s probably the 4.3/4.4 version of 4.2/4.3 Waddle.
- Pro Comparison:
Jaylen Waddle

7. Jordan Addison
- Has the obvious quickness and route running that you like to see. I’m not sure either trait is at the elite level, seems just below. Speed is also good, but not great. Very much a jack of all trades, but master of none type… yet he’s also on the smaller side of the isle as well. I see a very savvy player that has a high floor, but lower ceiling at the next level.
- Pro Comparison:
Calvin Ridley

8. Josh Downs
- Quicker than fast athlete. But also still a fast athlete in likely that mid 4.4 maybe low 4.4 range. Does a great job with having enough speed to get past defenders but also enough savvy to outfox defenders and find some space within a zone. That said, I don’t feel his tracking skills are elite nor do I think his speed is enough to toast. I think he’s still in a position where he will need to develop a bit more otherwise he’ll be a bit hot and cold at the next level. He’s not elite enough in any category to make me confident that he will truly be a force.
- Pro Comparison
Brandin Cooks?

Tier Four (20-25% confident about being a 1,000 yd type WR)
9. Parker Washington
- Bruising RB style WR that plays the game similar to a DJ Moore or Golden Tate. He hasn’t put together enough in college to make one very confident of anything, but his potential could be high enough if he figures it out. However this type of WR typically invites higher injury concerns and he hasn’t been durable. Could just as easily become the next Percy Harvin that teases upside that never amounts to anything special.
Pro Comparison:
- Percy Harvin

10a. Zay Flowers
- Explosive, quick, fast option that reminds you of that jukestick style of WR. I don’t see quite as much nuance to his game as I see with some of the other WRs above him and jukestick WRs with questionable hands have thrived in college, only to not step up in the pros many times in years past. I need to watch more of his 2022 film admittedly, but at best I’m likely bumping him up to tier 3, but based off my current evaluation, he’s too inconsistent and hasn’t enough elite traits for me to feel much more confident in his skill set translating to the next level. However he’s still shifty and quick and that can translate to a dangerous weapon if in the hands of the right WR coach and offensive mind. Seems like the type of WR that goes to Pittsburgh, develops more nuance to his game, and becomes an elite WR for years to come and on that note…
Pro Comparison: Emmanuel Sanders

10b. AT Perry
- Personal favorite of mines. He’s not quite the route runner that springs in and out of his routes. He’s not an elite or even great agility guy. But he’s tall, he runs good enough routes, but more importantly his speed seems to consistently surprises defenders and allows him to produce explosive plays. That said, his physicality and agility aren’t going to be enough to ever truly allow him to be able to disrespect the #1 CBs in the NFL, however he could find a role as a quality to good #2 WR IMO as a quality intermediate threat.
Pro Comparison: Corey Davis

HM- Rashee Rice
- Really fascinating player that is more explosive than Perry, has nice size, length, physicality. Has some potential #1 WR traits, but I’m not in love with his hands and inability to truly breakout until his senior season. He could be someone that is just a late bloomer.
- Pro Comparison:
Courtland Sutton

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

5. Rome Odunze
- Quick, fluid, smooth athlete that gets in and out of his breaks easily. Runs routes like someone that’s 5’10” at 6’1”+ of an athlete. I’m not sure he’s as tall as listed, but he’s tall enough, has size enough, and savvy perception enough to make him a good redzone and 3rd down type option to rely on. He’s not very fast, but moreso above average speed, but enough to get behind defenders who get out of position and get beat. But more of an intermediate threat.
- Pro Comparison:
Jordy Nelson

Unfortunately, he's going back to Washington for 23'. Sucks because he was only 20 YO and had a lot of potential with the kind of size we're looking for.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Unfortunately, he's going back to Washington for 23'. Sucks because he was only 20 YO and had a lot of potential with the kind of size we're looking for.

Ah. I hadn’t seen that update, I knew he hadn’t made up his mind. Well that sucks.

Though I suppose I completely forgot to add Kayshon Boutte to this list. He’d likely be tier two or three in a similar standing as Rome Odunze, though he’s someone that I’m unsure if our front office (read Bisciotti) would have on our boards due to all the drama. Since making my original list I forgot he had that scandal and decided to declare.

EDIT: Swapped for Boutte though I’ll need to watch more to competently rank him within his tier. Might have Mims above him. Though I like him more than Downs.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Relevant 1st Round players for us from what I've seen atp:

WR                                CB

Quentin Johnston       Devon Witherspoon

Jaxon Smith-Njigba    Christian Gonzalez

Jordan Addison           Kelee Ringo

Jalin Hyatt                   Joey Porter Jr.

Josh Downs                Cam Smith

Zay Flowers                Clark Phillips III

Things can change quickly in the draft(look at Ojabo), but right now these are the most frequently mocked 1st Round options at our biggest need spots. 

• Like 1

DeCosta's plan for the offseason/draft is an easy read imo.

I think he wants to trade for a proven vet WR like Hopkins or Evans, and then he wants to draft a CB in the 1st Round. The word from last year's draft was that the only players we'd consider trading up for were Stingley and Gardner. The FO also admitted they missed out on CBs with their Day 2 picks which forced them to double dip quickly on Day 3. Fast forward to right now and we're down even worse at position. 

So that's my bet for right now. Trade for a big name proven WR and select a 1st Round CB(Probably after a trade down to recoup picks).

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 3:36 PM, diamondbull424 said:

HM- Rashee Rice
- Really fascinating player that is more explosive than Perry, has nice size, length, physicality. Has some potential #1 WR traits, but I’m not in love with his hands and inability to truly breakout until his senior season. He could be someone that is just a late bloomer.
- Pro Comparison:
Courtland Sutton

Drop rate is horrifying but he does have some interesting upside as you mentioned. Might be one of the few decent options left when we finally pick on Day 2. 

On 1/14/2023 at 6:36 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Posted this elsewhere and this sort of expands on my list from earlier. I’ve watched a little more tape and stack it similarly as before. Perhaps a few more pro comps as well.

Tier One (90% confident about being annual 1,000 yd type WR)
1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba
- Pro bloodlines, incredibly productive in HS and college. He’s not Megatron, but is incredibly savvy as a route runner and great at finding space. Elite body control, IQ, and quickness. He’s an elite slot, an elite 3rd down machine, and that’s something that matters a lot in todays nfl.
- Pro Comparison:
Keenan Allen and Cooper Kupp

Tier Two (75% confident about being annual 1,000 yd type WR)
2. Quentin Johnston
- Incredible athlete that consistently finds ways to break tackles; runs with power and explosiveness. Can bully defenders after the catch. Feel like he double catches or doesn’t always cleanly catch the ball and that could be a problem at the next level, his hands. I don’t think he’s a natural “receiver” and won’t ever be mistaken for Larry Fitzgerald or Randy Moss in the hands department.
- Pro Comparison: 
DK Metcalf

3. Jalin Hyatt
- You can’t teach speed. Some abilities do and don’t translate to the next level as well as you hope, but elite hamstrings with elite ball tracking ability always translates (outside of injury). Hyatt isn’t just a track guy, his ability to track the football is partly what is so special with him. He’s not just toasting future Real Estate agents and Lawyers like some of these other WRs, but he’s burning some of the best of what the SEC has to offer on a weekly basis. Downside is his route running isn’t elite, he plays out of the slot and is protected from physicality, and he’s faster than he is quick. If he’s going to develop into more than an elite deep threat, he’s got a lot to work on, but his floor as an elite weapon in one area is enough to work with IMO.
- Pro Comparison:
Mike Wallace

4. Rakim Jarrett
- Incredibly explosive athlete. He looks like a high 4.3 low 4.4 guy, with elite agility as well. Route running isn’t elite, but is above average. Concentration drops. Can perform inside and outside. Very high potential. Feels like the type whose low production was partly due to an offensive ceiling and not due to a player ceiling. Like if he were playing for an Ohio State within a more explosive offense, he could have put up 1200 yds, which is ironic due to who I compare him to…
- Pro Comparison: “Scary Terry” McLaurin

Tier Three (50% confident about being annual 1,000 yd type WR)
5. Kayshon Boutte
- Boutte comes with durability questions and character concerns. But when he plays he’s an explosively smooth athlete. He was more physical in previous years and had some YAC ability but looked noticeably more thin this past season. Assuming he’s more what he was in 2021 vs 2022, then he provides serious upside.
- Pro Comparison:
Chris Godwin

6. Marvin Mims
- Fast, quick, explosive. A little undersized, but plays bigger than his size. Attacks the ball at the catch point. Great, but not elite long speed, probably a high 4.3 or low 4.4 guy. Play style reminds me eerily of Jaylen Waddle with how he moves on the field… only he’s probably the 4.3/4.4 version of 4.2/4.3 Waddle.
- Pro Comparison:
Jaylen Waddle

7. Jordan Addison
- Has the obvious quickness and route running that you like to see. I’m not sure either trait is at the elite level, seems just below. Speed is also good, but not great. Very much a jack of all trades, but master of none type… yet he’s also on the smaller side of the isle as well. I see a very savvy player that has a high floor, but lower ceiling at the next level.
- Pro Comparison:
Calvin Ridley

8. Josh Downs
- Quicker than fast athlete. But also still a fast athlete in likely that mid 4.4 maybe low 4.4 range. Does a great job with having enough speed to get past defenders but also enough savvy to outfox defenders and find some space within a zone. That said, I don’t feel his tracking skills are elite nor do I think his speed is enough to toast. I think he’s still in a position where he will need to develop a bit more otherwise he’ll be a bit hot and cold at the next level. He’s not elite enough in any category to make me confident that he will truly be a force.
- Pro Comparison
Brandin Cooks?

Tier Four (20-25% confident about being a 1,000 yd type WR)
9. Parker Washington
- Bruising RB style WR that plays the game similar to a DJ Moore or Golden Tate. He hasn’t put together enough in college to make one very confident of anything, but his potential could be high enough if he figures it out. However this type of WR typically invites higher injury concerns and he hasn’t been durable. Could just as easily become the next Percy Harvin that teases upside that never amounts to anything special.
Pro Comparison:
- Percy Harvin

10a. Zay Flowers
- Explosive, quick, fast option that reminds you of that jukestick style of WR. I don’t see quite as much nuance to his game as I see with some of the other WRs above him and jukestick WRs with questionable hands have thrived in college, only to not step up in the pros many times in years past. I need to watch more of his 2022 film admittedly, but at best I’m likely bumping him up to tier 3, but based off my current evaluation, he’s too inconsistent and hasn’t enough elite traits for me to feel much more confident in his skill set translating to the next level. However he’s still shifty and quick and that can translate to a dangerous weapon if in the hands of the right WR coach and offensive mind. Seems like the type of WR that goes to Pittsburgh, develops more nuance to his game, and becomes an elite WR for years to come and on that note…
Pro Comparison: Emmanuel Sanders

10b. AT Perry
- Personal favorite of mines. He’s not quite the route runner that springs in and out of his routes. He’s not an elite or even great agility guy. But he’s tall, he runs good enough routes, but more importantly his speed seems to consistently surprises defenders and allows him to produce explosive plays. That said, his physicality and agility aren’t going to be enough to ever truly allow him to be able to disrespect the #1 CBs in the NFL, however he could find a role as a quality to good #2 WR IMO as a quality intermediate threat.
Pro Comparison: Corey Davis

HM- Rashee Rice
- Pro Comparison:
Courtland Sutton

Imma check out some of these folks, but we as a people gotta find a new word. Elite has the same meaning as trashcan now. It isn't even special anymore and hasn't been for over a decade, sadly.

ELite hands

Elite tackling

Elite speed

Elite cup stacking

Thanks for reading my rant. Also, waiting for the CB prospects because I think that might be a bigger need than WR, in my opinion. Well, depending on who the OC is anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Drop rate is horrifying but he does have some interesting upside as you mentioned. Might be one of the few decent options left when we finally pick on Day 2. 

Man was a monster in the game I saw vs UMD. First time I heard of him, but he was easily the best player in that game. Seemed to have a monster catch radius and made a lot of tough catches. Seems like he might be available on day 2 or 3 according to some projections.

• Like 1

Some interesting things in the first mock from DJ this draft season:

- QB pick for us is just dumb. Doesn't even have us trading Lamar, but thinks we might decide to groom another one behind him....

- No Quentin Johnston in the 1st

- 👀 Devon Witherspoon at 6 to the Lions and Lukas Van Ness at 8 to the Falcons

9 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Some interesting things in the first mock from DJ this draft season:

- QB pick for us is just dumb. Doesn't even have us trading Lamar, but thinks we might decide to groom another one behind him....

- No Quentin Johnston in the 1st

- 👀 Devon Witherspoon at 6 to the Lions and Lukas Van Ness at 8 to the Falcons

@Ray Reed will tell you that I'm as big a Lamar homer as there is, but if Lamar is only here on the tag and not a long term deal, I'm fine with a round 1 QB. Although in that (doomsday) scenario I prefer we trade Lamar now for assets and then trade w/e it takes to move up and get Stroud or Young this year.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

@Ray Reed will tell you that I'm as big a Lamar homer as there is, but if Lamar is only here on the tag and not a long term deal, I'm fine with a round 1 QB. Although in that (doomsday) scenario I prefer we trade Lamar now for assets and then trade w/e it takes to move up and get Stroud or Young this year.

God would that be an awful situation.