New Cuts ?

RSkinGM

42 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

What event , or is there one, that forces Cap Cuts coming up ? For instance last year we signed Leno, McCain and I think Flowers who were all late cuts .

You already got likely any draft cuts. There is sometimes a small bump in cuts June 1st and 2nd when those cap hits are spread out. Otherwise teams are probably pretty set until training camp/preseason. 

• Like 1

I think it’s usually just the draft and the roster/lineup crunch created by the addition of new players who they envision as immediate starters. 

The Bears drafted Teven Jenkins last year, and they evidently viewed him as a plug and play guy who made Charles Leno expendable, so they cut the veteran loose to make way for the kid. Saved a good chunk of money in the process. The Dolphins did the same thing with McCain (Jevon Holland) and we did the same thing with Morgan Moses (Sam Cosmi). 

I think it’s probably a little less likely to happen a lot this year, because teams are less cap strapped than they were in the post-COVID year. They don’t have quite as much need to create as much cap space as they can. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think it’s usually just the draft and the roster/lineup crunch created by the addition of new players who they envision as immediate starters. 

The Bears drafted Teven Jenkins last year, and they evidently viewed him as a plug and play guy who made Charles Leno expendable, so they cut the veteran loose to make way for the kid. Saved a good chunk of money in the process. The Dolphins did the same thing with McCain (Jevon Holland) and we did the same thing with Morgan Moses (Sam Cosmi). 

I think it’s probably a little less likely to happen a lot this year, because teams are less cap strapped than they were in the post-COVID year. They don’t have quite as much need to create as much cap space as they can. 

That's a great reply/ answer. Thanks !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

CB James Bradberry cut by Giants. ex Panther

Have been waiting for this one. 

He can really play. They didn’t dive in when was an FA, but he would clearly be an upgrade to the roster. Can they figure out a way to get he and Fuller and Jackson all on the field at the same time frequently enough to make it worth the price? That’s the (multi) million dollar question. 

I’m not sure they can, and sadly it comes back to how badly Fuller played in the slot last year. That was one of the big appeals to signing him in FA, his versatility to play both inside and outside, but it really doesn’t seem like a great option after he struggled so much there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

He can really play. They didn’t dive in when was an FA, but he would clearly be an upgrade to the roster. Can they figure out a way to get he and Fuller and Jackson all on the field at the same time frequently enough to make it worth the price? That’s the (multi) million dollar question. 

I’m not sure they can, and sadly it comes back to how badly Fuller played in the slot last year. That was one of the big appeals to signing him in FA, his versatility to play both inside and outside, but it really doesn’t seem like a great option after he struggled so much there.

Honestly, Id sign him.

Start Fuller & Bradbury on the outside.

Use Jackson or St Juice at Slot CB. (The other in on dime)

Then, Jamin Davis & Cole Holcomb as nickel LBers...

Then, Percy Butler as FS & Curl as SS.

Edited by aceinthehouse

On 5/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, e16bball said:

Yeah, the Bears saved a ton of cap space and got Field’s slaughtered as a result. What awful OL moves they made 3 years in a row. They didn’t re-sign Cornelius Lucas in 2020 & we signed him. He definitely could’ve been a starter for them in 2020 at RT. Last year they cut Leno and then this year they let their starting guard James Daniels walk and he signed with the Steelers. Three huge losses on their OL in three straight seasons, not a good way to build a team around a young QB.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, e16bball said:

I saw some video or something on Twitter - maybe it was on Commanders daily or whatever they’re calling it now on TV - where the person was pointing out that Fuller didn’t play as bad in the slot as everyone thought last year.

So maybe it’s possible. 🤷 

On 5/9/2022 at 3:51 PM, aceinthehouse said:

I'll post this again here...

I’d love to have him, but put me in @lavar703’s category of, I doubt we sign him. I do think we’ll be signing AJ Klein to be competing with Mayo to be our SLB or MLB, whichever Holcomb doesn’t play.

Edited by turtle28