MikeT14

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

They waited far too long for a sequel. I have zero interest in this. It's crazy that they're already getting Avatar 3 ready for 2024 release. You'd think they may wait to see if people show up for the 2nd. At least they got the original cast back.

bruh it was announced that 2 and 3 would be filmed back to back IN AUGUST 2010

The 4th film was greenlit in 2012

The 5th film was greenlit in 2015

9 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Depends on what you expected I guess. I just re-watched Avatar a few weeks ago and this looks a good bit better.

The biggest advancements were mostly for the underwater filming. I expect a huge, amazing experience watching those scenes. Will make Aquaman look like a joke.

I enjoyed the original for what it was, even though the characters were lame and the story was completely uninspired and unoriginal.

I will see this when it comes to streaming, but I have no desire to see it in theaters.

As for how it will do....I expect 2 to do well, if only due to curiosity, but I think it will fall slightly short of the numbers they want.   3's success will depend how much people like 2, but I doubt it will do better than 2, because much of the curiosity factor will be gone.

I personally dont expect 4 and 5 to happen.    Maybe 4 will to wrap things up....as long as 3 doesn't completely bomb.

I think some people are seriously underestimating how much business this will do. I guess it also depends on what people mean when they say it will "bomb".

-If this gets reviews similar to the first one, then I think this clears $500 million domestic and $2 billion worldwide, conservatively. Obviously those are big drops from the first one, so if that's what people mean by bomb then I guess I just disagree with the terminology. The first one way out earned what anyone could have possibly expected and was such a lightning strike that I don't think this can or should be expected to replicate that. But overall I don't see how this doesn't bring in a huge haul if it's similarly regarded to the first.

-If it gets better reviews story wise then it'll challenge the first one both domestically and internationally. I'd bet a lot of money on that.

-If it disappoints critically, then all bets are off. Still would guess minimum $300 million domestic and $1.5 billion worldwide, but then the 3rd one would drop off significantly and would probably be the end of the franchise.

15 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I think some people are seriously underestimating how much business this will do. I guess it also depends on what people mean when they say it will "bomb".

-If this gets reviews similar to the first one, then I think this clears $500 million domestic and $2 billion worldwide, conservatively. Obviously those are big drops from the first one, so if that's what people mean by bomb then I guess I just disagree with the terminology. The first one way out earned what anyone could have possibly expected and was such a lightning strike that I don't think this can or should be expected to replicate that. But overall I don't see how this doesn't bring in a huge haul if it's similarly regarded to the first.

-If it gets better reviews story wise then it'll challenge the first one both domestically and internationally. I'd bet a lot of money on that.

-If it disappoints critically, then all bets are off. Still would guess minimum $300 million domestic and $1.5 billion worldwide, but then the 3rd one would drop off significantly and would probably be the end of the franchise.

Wasn't one of the reasons it did so well because the ticket prices were inflated? Is that happening again? I personally can't imagine people all go see it in 3D again, and I also can't imagine word of mouth comes close to that of 2009 where it was its own unique thing.

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Wasn't one of the reasons it did so well because the ticket prices were inflated? Is that happening again? I personally can't imagine people all go see it in 3D again, and I also can't imagine word of mouth comes close to that of 2009 where it was its own unique thing.

had enough juice left in 2019 to pass Endgame to regain its spot as the highest grossing flick of all time on its re-release

as a side note, what a move by Disney. People start talking about it overtaking Avatar so the re-release and pit them against each other and make even more money because they don't care who wins. 

26 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

had enough juice left in 2019 to pass Endgame to regain its spot as the highest grossing flick of all time on its re-release

as a side note, what a move by Disney. People start talking about it overtaking Avatar so the re-release and pit them against each other and make even more money because they don't care who wins. 

It only needed like 7 million to repass Endgame

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

it stands 50 million ahead. That is pretty impressive for a 10 year old flick on a re-release IMO

It is pretty impressive. The way you originally framed it was not.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

3D definitely had a big impact on the final $ amount, but it was a monster regardless of that. Price increases are happening regardless of 3D though. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness had its ticket prices increased just because it's popular. Don't see why Disney wouldn't do the same for this.

It might not...but the reactions from the audience at CinemaCon said it was amazing when they saw the trailer in 3D. The word of mouth for the visuals will be similar to the first one. Reviews will be critical for this, moreso than for an MCU movie.