Round 7, pick 262: 2022 Mr Irrelevant Brock Purdy QB Iowa State

Wasted pick to me, but it was the last pick in the draft, so whatever. 

No traits to be a starter, never really got better in college. The Nick Mullens comp Shanny gave is sadly apropos. Once he got figured out, it was pretty much done with. 

Strikes me as a guy as a guy who makes a wonderful back up so long as you never have to actually have him play. 

I’m hoping when his tenure is over in SF he can say he was the best dark clipboard holder we’ve ever had and he got to mop up some lobsided wins. Hell, maybe he gets to have a loud preseason game or two. But if he’s seeing the field, we got problems. And I’d suspect he doesn’t ever get off the practice squad. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2022 at 12:39 PM, Forge said:

Wasted pick to me, but it was the last pick in the draft, so whatever. 

No traits to be a starter, never really got better in college. The Nick Mullens comp Shanny gave is sadly apropos. Once he got figured out, it was pretty much done with. 

Strikes me as a guy as a guy who makes a wonderful back up so long as you never have to actually have him play. 

😂

This will never not be funny. Even if Purdy cratered from here on out, I'd still have been so wrong

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Forge said:

😂

This will never not be funny. Even if Purdy cratered from here on out, I'd still have been so wrong

Show me someone that said they knew that Purdy would be starting for this team going into year two and I’ll show you a liar. 

I’m hoping Purdy makes me look like an idiot too, but I was thinking high-end backup when we drafted him, so I feel ok about that. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GW21 said:

Show me someone that said they knew that Purdy would be starting for this team going into year two and I’ll show you a liar. 

I’m hoping Purdy makes me look like an idiot too, but I was thinking high-end backup when we drafted him, so I feel ok about that. 

Oh, I was definitely that guy who KNEW Purdy would be the 2nd coming of Joe Cool. 😝

Image result for Ummmm GIF Meme

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GW21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7as3odypfv20x172yre

I got kicked off of the 49ers Red zone for saying "if the team can win with Jimmy G, the team can win with Brock Purdy."  I hated the way they signed Jimmy G at the last second.  They did not take kindly to my venting, then when I compared talking about Jimmy G to talking about an underperforming linemen, I got insulted and kicked out.  I am sure it was been removed.   It was a good run for ole 49erguy49, but I have a new handle now, and I will not be taking this one to the redzone, lol.

There is actually a story about how I started scouting Purdy.  I went to the pound in 2005, and I picked out an ugly dog.   When I brought it back home my dad kept making fun of me and the ugly dog.  I named the dog Purdy, because I thought she was Purdy and I had a neighbor with the last name.  Purdy was a great dog.  When I was watching David Montgomery, and a rookie with the same name as my awesome old dog was put into the line up.  I watched his career and thought he would fit in well here.

Even in spite of all of that, I still had no idea how good he was going to end up being.  I thought he could be a spot fill guy for Lance.  He didn't spin the ball as well in college, as a lot of his passes wobbled.  Him improving his spiral gave him just enough extra arm strength to make it work in the NFL.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, Forge said:

I don't think that I'll have a bigger love / hate relationship with anyone in this draft more than I do when watching Brock Purdy. I think he's probably a limited back up QB that can play up in a pinch....but there are some things that I really love when watching him. 

😂

Three years later, i can safely say it's more love than hate right now

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Anyone watch GMFB this morning?! Kyle Brandt was saying that the 9ers have created the first AI player for the league (which is why he was drafted last, so no one would catch on!) and that Brock had his worst game on Sunday but the 9ers still scored 30 points. It's "Bot Purdy" now, according to Brandt. 

Image result for that's funny gif

I missed that, I usually am up for GMFB but overslept, that's hilarious.

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Anyone watch GMFB this morning?! Kyle Brandt was saying that the 9ers have created the first AI player for the league (which is why he was drafted last, so no one would catch on!) and that Brock had his worst game on Sunday but the 9ers still scored 30 points. It's "Bot Purdy" now, according to Brandt. 

Image result for that's funny gif

I had never heard of GMFB so I Googled it and noticed the start time.  Then, I started laughing exactly like Data in the gif because I am never up that early.  😂