notthatbluestuff

Who wins the AFC South?   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AFC South?

• Houston Texans
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • Jacksonville Jaguars
    • Tennessee Titans

In what’s becoming a QB and WR league the Colts and Titans have the least upside at QB and targets in this division.

Mills and Lawrence are on year 2 and they’ve got lots of investment in young or upgraded targets.

Tannehill and Ryan are both on the downside and their targets are nothing to write home about and worse than in the past.

I hope the RB can stay healthy and elite again for 350+ touches does not pay off too much in the NFL.

38 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Colts are lowkey starting to become the Chargers recently. Being favorites to win the division, but end up not actually doing it.

Going with Tennessee until otherwise.

In 2020 they lost the division via tiebreaker and 2021 they blew so many games and choked in the end. You make it seem like the Titans ran away with the division these past two years which they didn’t lol.

28 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

In 2020 they lost the division via tiebreaker and 2021 they blew so many games and choked in the end. You make it seem like the Titans ran away with the division these past two years which they didn’t lol.

That’s not true. Titans won the division.

And in 2021 they didn’t blow very many games, considering that they only lost 5 as the most injured team in the league, including beating the Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, and Rams in the regular season.

Are the Titans better than last year? Probably not, but they will be if they’re a lot healthier. And they’re all but guaranteed to be a little healthier, at least.

32 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And in 2021 they didn’t blow very many games, considering that they only lost 5 as the most injured team in the league, including beating the Chiefs, Bills, 49ers, and Rams in the regular season.

He’s talking about the Colts. They lost the division via tiebreaker in 2020 (both teams were 11-5) and then blew a couple games late in the season this year, including a final showdown vs the Jags.

• Like 1

Colts might be the most overrated team in the league. Below average quarterback, average offensive line, below average receivers and a good yet overrated defense. Not too worried about any team with Matt Ryan at quarterback....I'd rather Tannehill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Are the Titans better than last year? Probably not, but they will be if they’re a lot healthier. And they’re all but guaranteed to be a little healthier, at least.

I was talking about the Colts last few seasons. 

Edited by Blackstar12

So many people are using the AJ Brown trade to reason for knocking the Titans down off their perch. I disagree, the Titans did most of the damage without Derrick Henry last year and are stronger with him back. Robert Woods is no AJ Brown and Walker won’t be AJ Brown for a couple years, if at all. But if they can utilize Woods, Walker and Hooper to help their rushing game and keep their passing game from falling off too much they can still do damage. I’m not sure about how their OL improved/regressed so I can’t speak on that. All their best defensive players are back and better. To me the Titans are there until they aren’t. 

1 Titans 

2 Colts 

3T Jaguars

3T Texans 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Isn’t that the Cowboys though? There’s plenty of teams media picks ahead of the Colts lol.

I’m speaking AFC South mainly. As far the NFL, I at least get the Cowboys because it’s a huge media market but the Colts are always projected to win the division. Hell, they were talked about as one of the best teams in the league last year before the season. Never understood it and now with Matt Ryan, they’ll be talked about most likely in the same way. Colts are a good team but honestly they’re the same exact team as the Titans. Elite RBs, questionable weapons, questionable OLs, and aging QBs. Both should have very good defenses as well. Probably will come down to who has better coaching and who is healthier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He’s talking about the Colts. They lost the division via tiebreaker in 2020 (both teams were 11-5) and then blew a couple games late in the season this year, including a final showdown vs the Jags.

56 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I was talking about the Colts last few seasons. 

Ah….then yes, accurate.

• Like 1

T1-2. Indianapolis has more (i.e. 9th vs 16th) talent but not at the skill positions.

T1-2. The Titans tend to overperform, in sharp contrast to the Colts.

3rd.  Jacksonville.

4th.  Houston.

I rarely ignore the Treble Dictum ("Always take known luck over purported skill.") but I have to give the nod to the Colts because, from the positional schedules I've seen (which could be revised tonight), Indi's QB, RB, and WRs will face softer opposition than Tennessee's in 2022.

If the Colts can’t win the division this year, when the Titans are in a mini rebuild year and the Jags and Texans are still in rebuilding mode, then they may never win again.

This is a hyperbole but seriously, this feels like Reich and Ballard’s best chance to win the division since they’ve taken over.

25 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

If the Colts can’t win the division this year, when the Titans are in a mini rebuild year and the Jags and Texans are still in rebuilding mode, then they may never win again.

This is a hyperbole but seriously, this feels like Reich and Ballard’s best chance to win the division since they’ve taken over.

I agree.  I'm still picking the Titans (I'd like to think objectively) to win, but I do think the Colts have a better chance than last season.  Matt Ryan is an upgrade over Wentz, but only slightly.  He's getting up there in years, so I don't expect him to suddenly ball out.

Still, I think people overrate how much of a step down the Titans are taking.  AJ Brown is a big loss, but we only had him for 13 games, and in 3 of those, he was ineffective, and we got nothing from Julio.  If Robert Woods comes back from injury (big if) and the rookies are healthy for 17 games, the loss at receiver isn't that drastic.

Saffold was gone for a lot of the season last year too, and the dropoff was negligible.  Titans in 2022 are pretty much the same unit as 2021, and they won 12 games.  The big question mark, in my mind, is Tannehill.  If he has a season like last year, the Colts will have a much better chance to win the division.  If he looks more like 2020 or 2019 Tannehill, it probably won't be that close.