The Jay Gruden Thread

lavar703

I did my research our Coach should be nick Saban.

we once had a chance in 2009 to interview Pete Carroll I believe and we screwed that up. Nick saban is a legendary college coach who has NFL experince ... he got the dolphins to finish the season strong with pathetic qbs  .

he did abandoned them yes but right now if he came back to the NFL I'm sure he be hungry knowing he could win a SB would make him one of the greatest HCs of all time

hes tough and has tons of experince and Alabama has made him a better head coach

alot will disagree but I want us to truly interview this man out of college he can't forever be a legend in college know he left the NFL in bad terms

thats just me .

8 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

I want gruden gone.

The next head coach should be someone who can focus on the defense and hire a good offensive minded running coordinator .

Hate to say it but the redskins should interview guys like Nick Sabin or being Harbough in out of Michigan some how .

What do you think of Jon Gruden coming on as President and GM and keeping his lil brother as coach. I’m hearing rumors Jon wants back in as a President/GM

11 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

What do you think of Jon Gruden coming on as President and GM and keeping his lil brother as coach. I’m hearing rumors Jon wants back in as a President/GM

it'd be best we just make a rebuild . Not a complete build but to the staff.

our team can jump on another level if we have the right coaching staff . 

We collapsed big time yesterday. You can blame Cousins for not closing it out, you can blame the defense for obvious reasons, you can blame players, coaches, everyone. The fingers should be directed all across the board. And when that happens, it all goes back the head coach. It was Jay Gruden’s job, above all, to make sure we secured the win. He failed. It was embarrassing and heartbreaking. Immediately after the last FG went through, I said to myself “We’re never going to be contenders with this guy as head coach”. But here’s the thing. Can he learn from this experience?

I know “learning experience” isn’t a term you guys want to hear. It’s not going to get us into the playoffs and it’s not going to take the sting away from the loss. But I truly believe that Gruden needs to be groomed like a young, talented QB. He’s going to have his bumps and bruises along the way but the talent is there. He has these guys playing with heart and we have been in every single game this year. This loss was the most painful but if (when) we are put in that situation again, Gruden will use this experience to coach a better game and close it out. Up until the last 3 mins of the game, Gruden was coaching a gem. That fake punt was absolutely genius and if we held on the win, it would’ve been the key play of the game. (“And if I was 6 inches taller, I’d be in the NBA”, I hear ya). 

Listen guys, we weren’t going to the Super Bowl this season no matter what. We need to use the rest of this season to gain experience and grow. We need to continue to build chemistry with Kirk and Doctson. We need continue to run the ball better (big step for Perine yesterday). We need to get better at the play calling. I truly believe that we are getting better as a team but due to injuries and schedule and not closing out close games has put us where we are. I’m not ready to blow it up and start over. Keep Kirk. Keep Jay. Let’s continue to plow through some growing pains and build something special for next season and beyond. For the first time in a long time, we have a solid foundation. Why start over now?

Gotta keep him or Kirk is gone imo. Letting Kirk and jay go is gonna be the biggest mistake in this franchises history. 4-6 after everything this team has gone through isn’t terrible. I believe gruden is gonna learn through these experiences and get better.

Maybe you guys are correct, but how long is this learning time horizon- one more year, two more years or longer? 

This is his 4th year as a head coach. He has gotten better getting his players to be ready to compete at the beginning of each game. He ran the ball yesterday more than I can ever remember. But was this just a one game anomaly on his run to pass ratio? He has not improved the red zone offense enough and we are terrible at end of half and end of game situations. His training camps are laughably "spa like", he never has focused on running game in training camp,  his in game adjustments are nonexistent, and clock management hasn't improved.  

Hes not the worst coach but his ceiling in my opinion is every few years he gets a team to the playoffs and gets bounced out and the other years we are 8-8. If I were going to position him for his best success it would be giving him the best DC money can buy (he had a chance at that but either he or Allen or Snyder refused going with a rah rah guy) and the best talent evaluator to team with him as GM- yeah we had that guy too and fired him. 

I have to say that I have no confidence in Jay.I see it coming every time I watch a game.He has become a master of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.It is time to start over .Find a new GM(yeah I knowDoug Williams holds that position)Tell him what you want the team to be.Power run with quick strike capabilities.Pressure defense and let him pick the coach.The Jay Gruden era is a bust.

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

A sneak ( which is what should've been called) doesnt work like that. My point is that you have guys pulling instead of driving. Its a poor playcall when you need less than a yard.

My friends who are Bengals fans tell me this is exactly the stuff that drove them crazy about Jay... his too-cute playcalling.

Worked for years with the Hogs when they ran counter tray on short yardage. If our OL does their jobs then the plays goes for at least 5 and maybe more. They didn’t execute. 

If Jay is gone, Kirk is gone imo and Kirk may be gone anyways. Jay has always been the person who’s believed most in Kirk since he got there except for when Kirk threw 4 & 5 ints in back to back games in 2014. They’re joined at the hip.

I have no faith that if Jay is gone we’ll get an upgrade, same with Manusky. These two are good coaches, but not great coaches. Our team has been decimated by injuries and a few of the free agent signings that were made like Pryor and the DL didn’t work out as well as we had hoped but the future is still appears to bbe bright given in influx of young talent we’ve acquired to our roster over the last 3 years.

I don’t trust Bruce Allen to find anyone better than Jay Gruden. I’d rather live with mediocrity under Jay Gruden and hope that one year he gets Luck and our players do their jobs and we become a contender than to go back to Bruce searching for a HC and no one wanting others work under Bruce and Dan.

Status quo with the hopes of a few things getting cleaned up with the young players gettting more experience over the next few years is much more enticing to me than blowing it up and relying on Bruce to make it better.  

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Worked for years with the Hogs when they ran counter tray on short yardage. If our OL does their jobs then the plays goes for at least 5 and maybe more. They didn’t execute. 

But we didn't need 5 yards, we needed 1 foot. I have to go with Thai on this one. Having your guys pull on a play that the defense has almost no choice but to sell out for is a bad combo. That call, out of all the calls, upset me the most. Again, something Gruden has to improve on. 

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Maybe you guys are correct, but how long is this learning time horizon- one more year, two more years or longer? 

One more year. If his team next year (barring we bring back Cousins) shows no improvement and the tires seem stuck in the mud, he gets the axe. Next year is the year to put him on the hot seat, not this season. 

I don't think Jay is going anywhere, and I think Cousins comes back. 

Cousins stated today that he is playing his best ball in the last few years and he is excited for the next few years. Do you think he is going to do that somewhere else? 

The playcalling has been brilliant and was 99% brilliant yesterday. The run off tackle was not the best call on 3rd and 1 to win the game. HB Dive all day. Line up Anthony Lanier at FB and let him block ahead of Perine. WIN THE FREAKIN GAME. 

Archived