The Jay Gruden Thread

lavar703

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, I don't see it. 

I know you don’t but if we have a new coach next year and the 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years and the results are the same with this young team then maybe then you’ll realize it’s just a lot of young guys making mistakes on most plays.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I know you don’t but if we have a new coach next year and the 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years and the results are the same with this young team then maybe then you’ll realize it’s just a lot of young guys making mistakes on most plays.

We lost a game where we were up 15 with 3 minutes left. All we had to do was gain one yard so the coach runs the ball behind a fourth string converted from WR to TE that he uses as a FB because he cut our FB two years ago for no reason whatsoever and it didn't work. I'm shocked. 

Jays a dummy. We can blame it on young players or whatever else but these mistakes have been happening since the beginning of his tenure here. Just imagine how bad things would've been here if Kirk didn't fall into Jays lap? He would've been gone two years ago. 

32 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We lost a game where we were up 15 with 3 minutes left. All we had to do was gain one yard so the coach runs the ball behind a fourth string converted from WR to TE that he uses as a FB because he cut our FB two years ago for no reason whatsoever and it didn't work. I'm shocked. 

Jays a dummy. We can blame it on young players or whatever else but these mistakes have been happening since the beginning of his tenure here. Just imagine how bad things would've been here if Kirk didn't fall into Jays lap? He would've been gone two years ago. 

My god, are we going to revisit who decided DY was expendable and didn’t use him? Look @ DY’s contribution in on offense with Chris forester as our run game coordinator vs how Callahan relegated him to just a special teams player in 2015. That hurt Morris and our run game immensely in 2015 as did the loss of Paul and Paulsen as blockers that year beyond our interior OL injuries.

We did run a running play behind Scher, it didn’t work. Agreed we should have run behind Trent & Ty but if Roullier doesn’t get tripped up while pulling and our players who are good blocker do their job it works. Niles Paul is a great blocker on the move he had a miss, he should have taken the inside guy - Teo - or really if Roullier hasn’t tripped! He would have blocker Teo.

If Jay didn’t have Kirk to develop, we would have drafted someone else to develop like he did with Andy Dalton. Unless you don’t believe Mccloughan would have drafted  good qb to develop or something, and I think he and Jay would have.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The point is why are we running a long developing play with OL pulling in a one yard situation? It was actually less than a yard. Call a QB sneak and let Kirk push forward for the yards. 

We shouldn’t have, it was not the right play call but that doesn’t change the fact that the players screwed it up by Roullier getting tripped up and then Paul having 2 guys to block, taking the outside one while no one picked up Teo because Roullier wasn’t there to do his job and Teo was able to tackle Perine for the loss. 

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We shouldn’t have, it was not the right play call but that doesn’t change the fact that the players screwed it up by Roullier getting tripped up and then Paul having 2 guys to block, taking the outside one while no one picked up Teo because Roullier wasn’t there to do his job and Teo was able to tackle Perine for the loss. 

If he's not movig laterally, he cant trip like that and ruin the play

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

If he's not movig laterally, he cant trip like that and ruin the play

That’s not what happened, he was going to the second level to block Teo and got tripped up getting to him leaving Teo unblocked. It wasn’t a lateral move, it was north or at worst north east as he tried to reach Teo on the second level. If Roullier makes that block & Scherff blocks his man better, Perine goes for 10 or more.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

My god, are we going to revisit who decided DY was expendable and didn’t use him? Look @ DY’s contribution in on offense with Chris forester as our run game coordinator vs how Callahan relegated him to just a special teams player in 2015. That hurt Morris and our run game immensely in 2015 as did the loss of Paul and Paulsen as blockers that year beyond our interior OL injuries.

We did run a running play behind Scher, it didn’t work. Agreed we should have run behind Trent & Ty but if Roullier doesn’t get tripped up while pulling and our players who are good blocker do their job it works. Niles Paul is a great blocker on the move he had a miss, he should have taken the inside guy - Teo - or really if Roullier hasn’t tripped! He would have blocker Teo.

If Jay didn’t have Kirk to develop, we would have drafted someone else to develop like he did with Andy Dalton. Unless you don’t believe Mccloughan would have drafted  good qb to develop or something, and I think he and Jay would have.

tenor.gif?itemid=4581901

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s not what happened, he was going to the second level to block Teo and got tripped up getting to him leaving Teo unblocked. It wasn’t a lateral move, it was north or at worst north east as he tried to reach Teo on the second level. If Roullier makes that block & Scherff blocks his man better, Perine goes for 10 or more.

If he's pulling, he's moving laterally. The play was a slow developing play that required a lot of people moving sideways and then up the field to 2nd level. The better call was a sneak. Or a right up the gut.

I mean, he called a fairly good/great game. But somehow in the last part of halves he turns playcalling and HC decision making over to Krusty-The-Clown.

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If he's pulling, he's moving laterally. The play was a slow developing play that required a lot of people moving sideways and then up the field to 2nd level. The better call was a sneak. Or a right up the gut.

I mean, he called a fairly good/great game. But somehow in the last part of halves he turns playcalling and HC decision making over to Krusty-The-Clown.

That’s not what happened. I’ve watched it 3 times now and they show an above angle of Roullier going through the line and not getting to Teo 2 yards onto the Saints line of scrimmage allowing Teo to go unblcoked to make the tackle. 

Others pulled, Paul was lead blocking,  Scherff got pushed back at the point of attack with the way they blocked on that play it wouldn’t have mattered what was called unless it was a bootleg or play action pass to give Cousins the option to run or throw for the 1st.

Just now, turtle28 said:

That’s not what happened. I’ve watched it 3 times now and they show an above angle of Roullier going through the line and not getting to Teo on the Saints line of scrimmage allowing him to go unblcoked to make the tackle. 

Others pulled, Paul was lead blocking,  Scherff got pushed back at the point of attack with the way they blocked on that play it wouldn’t have mattered what was called unless it was a bootleg or play action pass to give Cousins the option to run or throw for the 1st.

A sneak ( which is what should've been called) doesnt work like that. My point is that you have guys pulling instead of driving. Its a poor playcall when you need less than a yard.

My friends who are Bengals fans tell me this is exactly the stuff that drove them crazy about Jay... his too-cute playcalling.

Archived