Texans sign DEs Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison (2 years each)

TheKillerNacho

https://www.nfl.com/news/veteran-edge-rusher-jerry-hughes-signs-with-texans

Hughes has been a mainstay on the Bills defense since 2013, missing only one game in that span and starting in every game except two starting in 2014. Notching 53.0 sacks in his time with Buffalo, he should still remain a valuable veteran presense in Houston.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/10/texans-sign-mario-addison/

I saw Addison signed with the Texans a few days ago, but didn't think it was notable enough to have its own thread. Also with the Bills (for the last two years), addison is better known for his time spent as a Panther. He has 67.0 career sacks, notching 7 last season.

Houston has an interesting set of pass rushers.  Along with the returning (and very underrated) Jonathan Greenard, they have signed Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes, Rasheem Green, and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and also return Jordan Jenkins.  

Love Jerry Hughes and everything he brought to Buffalo. I'm sure he'll retire a Bill but he was still pretty effective last season with pressures. The sacks weren't there but the pressure was. 

I'm guessing the Bills couldn't offer him much money or playing time with the addition of Von Miller + young guys in Rousseau/Epenesa. He lives in Texas in the offseason so I think that factored into the decision too.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Jerry Hughes was one of the most consistent defensive players in the NFL over the last decade. 1 missed game since 2012. He's the type of guy you don't appreciate until he is gone.

The crazy thing was how much of a bust his career seemed to be when he was drafted with the Colts.

Best of luck to Hughes! Was the longest tenured Bill, incredibly consistent and productive. He Played under 4 different DC and was once even benched for questioning Rob Ryan lol.

One of those throw away trades that turned into almost a decade of big time production and all class off the field too.

Nothing but love to both guys, consummate professionals, great locker room guys, very solid players and in Hughes case a guy who was a great player for a little bit there. Wish them the best, shame we couldn't bring Hughes back for one last bite at the apple just as a loyalty thing but there's too many bodies and not enough money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Jerry Hughes was one of the most consistent defensive players in the NFL over the last decade. 1 missed game since 2012. He's the type of guy you don't appreciate until he is gone.

Yea its crazy how he transformed...   I thought when he came out of the draft he was going to be good but was a bit of a disappointment at Indy.   Then he went to Buffalo and had some pretty productive years.  Very cool to see him turn into one of the most consistent players from his draft class.

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I can't believe how invisible he was in Indy. What happened?

Not entirely sure, I could be wrong, but I think they tried to use him like Dwight Freeney and Hughes isn't a speed rusher, he wins on technique, he never really put up huge sack numbers at Buffalo, but was the definition of consistent and a great LR leader. 

• Like 2