Bears add Pettis and Sharpe

dll2000

Sharpe was a very promising up and coming rookie in 2016.  I think I played fantasy that year and he had some really nice games for me as a Waiver pick up.  

He hurt his in foot in 2017 missing whole season and never quite regained his footing in the league.  

He was on KC PS last year with Poles.  

I had Identified Pettis as someone we would bring to camp. His connection being brought in to the Giants, as well with his knowledge of this style of offense, it just made sense.

Worth a shot to bring these type of guys to camp at a bunch of different positions, hopefully a few will pop as contributors

Pettis intrigues me talent wise. He was pretty damn solid as a rookie in 2018 as a 2nd rounder but then fell completely out of favor in SF. If I remember right there was questioning of his work ethic and talk of entitlement, which is obviously not ideal. Talent was always there though. It’s basically a free swing - if he’s been humbled and will work there’s definitely legitimate upside there.

Sharpe is a floor setting guy with size likely competing to be WR4. He’s been a professional caliber depth player his whole career and I don’t expect anything more than that, but I think he will certainly give you at least that too.

Neither of these moves changes my thoughts that the Bears are looking to follow the GB model from the past few years with one main guy (Mooney) and a bunch of others who can fill specific roles. Hopefully they’re right about what Mooney can be moving forward. That said, neither of these guys play special teams (Pettis has been a returner but we have a bunch of those) so if they’re not in the offensive rotation they probably won’t be active. 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pettis intrigues me talent wise. He was pretty damn solid as a rookie in 2018 as a 2nd rounder but then fell completely out of favor in SF. If I remember right there was questioning of his work ethic and talk of entitlement, which is obviously not ideal. Talent was always there though. It’s basically a free swing - if he’s been humbled and will work there’s definitely legitimate upside there.

Sharpe is a floor setting guy with size likely competing to be WR4. He’s been a professional caliber depth player his whole career and I don’t expect anything more than that, but I think he will certainly give you at least that too.

Neither of these moves changes my thoughts that the Bears are looking to follow the GB model from the past few years with one main guy (Mooney) and a bunch of others who can fill specific roles. Hopefully they’re right about what Mooney can be moving forward. That said, neither of these guys play special teams (Pettis has been a returner but we have a bunch of those) so if they’re not in the offensive rotation they probably won’t be active. 

I think it’s more they are taking cheap swings at a number of guys at a weak position.  Guys with physical talent, but haven’t succeeded in league for one reason or another.  

The hope is one or more will realize potential in a new environment or recapture what made them good at one time.  

Pace had same philosophy, but he left off more of the character risks so his pool was smaller.  

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What does the Falcons trading for Byron Edwards and the Saints signing Jarvis Landry have to do with the Bears signing Pettis/Sharpe?

It shows what other options could have been available on the free agency/trade market for WRs...I for one don't believe we are done at reciever.