Texans off-season thread

ET80

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

What’s your secondary look like right now?

good pickup with Tyrann.

Just thinking about that. It's either:

CB: Colvin, Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Joseph, Kevin Johnson, Trenton Decoud

S: Mathieu, Andre Hal, Corey Moore, Lonnie Ballentine

Or it's:

CB: Colvin, Joseph, Johnson, Decoud (rookie).

CB: Mathieu, Jackson, Hal, Moore, Ballentine.

Kareem Jackson is the wild card. There are signs pointing to him transitioning to one of the S roles, but we'll see.

21 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Just thinking about that. It's either:

CB: Colvin, Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Joseph, Kevin Johnson, Trenton Decoud

S: Mathieu, Andre Hal, Corey Moore, Lonnie Ballentine

Or it's:

CB: Colvin, Joseph, Johnson, Decoud (rookie).

CB: Mathieu, Jackson, Hal, Moore, Ballentine.

Kareem Jackson is the wild card. There are signs pointing to him transitioning to one of the S roles, but we'll see.

I think Hal will start at safety. He was fairly solid last year, there wasn’t much he could do with Johnson and Jackson rotting burned all the time. 

I am hopeful that Johnson will have a bounce back year. I really don’t believe him to be the worst CB in football like he graded out to be last year. I think he struggled with injuries and should have been playing much of the season. Not to mention a non existent pass rush all year. 

Say what you want about rick smith but the guy rarely missed on 1st round talent. 

We shouldn’t have had Johnson covering number 1s last year. 

So we clearly upgraded the line and secondary in free agency. 

I am thinking we might try and move up into the early to mid 2nd round to draft a tackle. I wouldn’t be opposed to trading all 3 3rds to get a starting caliber tackle in the draft. We can even use the Seattle 2019 2nd rounder if we need to. Colts just got the 6th pick in round 2, they have a ton of picks now and might be willing to take 2 3rds and next years 2nd to give us that 6th pick  

We need to also add a RB in round 3/4 

I think we sign a back up QB and draft a 3rd string guy in the 6/7 round area. Is it the 5th round we don’t have a pick?

WR is really solid if healthy with Hopkins/Fuller/Ellington/Miller, in fact I really like that group unless they start going down. 

I hope foreman comes back but he basically suffer the injury of doom for RBs. Sucks because he could have been a 10,000 yard back. 

My hopes for the rest of free agency (should have about $20M left factoring in extensions for Clowney & McKinney)

Sign QB Matt Moore (MIA) (2 years, $4M, $1M SB) one of best vets left on market; Gaine knows him from Miami

Sign WR Jordan Matthews (1 year, $5M) my frat bruh; one year show & prove deal

Trade RB Tyler Ervin to Patriots for TE Dwayne Allen or sign TE Eric Ebron (DET) or Luke Willson (SEA) (3 years, $14M) I actually like Griffin, but we need another solid TE

Sign T Cameron Fleming (NEP) (5 years, $30M) JIC + has shown tools to play on both sides

Sign CB E.J. Gaines (BUF) (4 years, $36M) starting CB, but I wouldn't be shocked if add a rookie to start at CB

Trade CB Kareem Jackson to NYJ for 6-179 + QB Christian Hackenberg 

Sign S Quintin Demps (CHI) (2 years, $4M, $1M SB) play the role of 3rd safety / would be JIC

I would also be prepared to trade Braxton Miller & Treston DeCoud during the draft to move up to nab players.

Secondary would be Gaines, JJo, Colvin, KJo, rookie at CB with HB, Hal, Demps, Moore at S

DYgaQJlX4AAmK_B.jpg:large

This is really interesting to me. Although RB is not a major need for us it needs to be upgraded. Foreman and Ervin are question marks coming off IR. Lamar has shown himself to be solid but unspectacular. What are everyones ideas about improving this area of our offense?

44 minutes ago, OzzyTexan said:

DYgaQJlX4AAmK_B.jpg:large

This is really interesting to me. Although RB is not a major need for us it needs to be upgraded. Foreman and Ervin are question marks coming off IR. Lamar has shown himself to be solid but unspectacular. What are everyones ideas about improving this area of our offense?

The draft has some interesting names - should be some good names in the 4th/5th round to rely on (Royce Freeman and Mark Walton stand out to me). 

I'd also take a flyer on Adrian Peterson as well - last season illustrated he's no longer an every down guy, but he still can control a game and produce at a very high level. He'd immediately improve an inside run game that hasn't been the same since Arian Foster in his prime, and would probably come pretty cheap, as AP has voiced the Texans as his #1 destination. 

I'd let gameflow and opponent dictatets the snaps between AP and Miller - a team like Tennessee would probably get a heavy dose of AP, a team like Jac would probably get a heavy dose of Miller. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The draft has some interesting names - should be some good names in the 4th/5th round to rely on (Royce Freeman and Mark Walton stand out to me). 

I'd also take a flyer on Adrian Peterson as well - last season illustrated he's no longer an every down guy, but he still can control a game and produce at a very high level. He'd immediately improve an inside run game that hasn't been the same since Arian Foster in his prime, and would probably come pretty cheap, as AP has voiced the Texans as his #1 destination. 

I'd let gameflow and opponent dictatets the snaps between AP and Miller - a team like Tennessee would probably get a heavy dose of AP, a team like Jac would probably get a heavy dose of Miller. 

I could get behind this

@OzzyTexan I have seen PFF put that out on their site.  I think it speaks to (1) how we are using out backs & (2) the lack of production by our OL.  We seemed to have a line built to be somewhat of a ZBS / stretch system, but we kept pounding the ball inside so other teams would stack the box.  I think you could see that when our backs got into space, they were decent.  They just didn't get into space much and we didn't alter our game plan to make sure they did.  But to your question, yes... some new blood may be needed in the backfield.

Archived