Texans off-season thread

ET80

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Is there anybody decent left out there? 

Kenny Vaccaro, I guess. Think EJ Gaines is still available. Brashaud Breeland failed his physical, but had a minor foot infection and should be ready for TC.

Rest are guys cut to make room elsewhere - Karl Klug, Jonathan Hankins, Marcedes Lewis, etc. Doubt you'll find an impact starter, but moreso depth.

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Kenny Vaccaro, I guess. Think EJ Gaines is still available. Brashaud Breeland failed his physical, but had a minor foot infection and should be ready for TC.

Rest are guys cut to make room elsewhere - Karl Klug, Jonathan Hankins, Marcedes Lewis, etc. Doubt you'll find an impact starter, but moreso depth.

I actually think Marcedes Lewis would be a halfway decent bridge signing.  Obviously, we need to draft a TE and this class is soft at the top but solid in the middle, so I think we can find some value especially on the pass catching side. TEs are notoriously slow to develop, especially under BOb, so expecting much from a mid round rookie is a stretch.  33 year old Lewis is still one of the top blocking TE's around and a huge red zone target both of which were sorely lacking last year. Anderson can fill the pass catching role while the rookie develops at TE and Lewis would be a huge asset to either Davenport or a rookie RT.  Ryan Griffin's marginal skillset doesn't warrant the $5.2 million left on his deal vs. 0 cap hit for cutting him, especially since he is a concussion away from retirement just like Fido, which would leave us in a lurch again.   Ed Dickson would be another decent bridge as a blocking TE which is absolutely necessary if we're sticking with glorified slot receiver Anderson for even half a season. Troy Niklas would be a decent younger option as a blocker and perhaps he could be coached up to be a bigger part of the passing game. 

6 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I actually think Marcedes Lewis would be a halfway decent bridge signing.  Obviously, we need to draft a TE and this class is soft at the top but solid in the middle, so I think we can find some value especially on the pass catching side. TEs are notoriously slow to develop, especially under BOb, so expecting much from a mid round rookie is a stretch.  33 year old Lewis is still one of the top blocking TE's around and a huge red zone target both of which were sorely lacking last year. Anderson can fill the pass catching role while the rookie develops at TE and Lewis would be a huge asset to either Davenport or a rookie RT.  Ryan Griffin's marginal skillset doesn't warrant the $5.2 million left on his deal vs. 0 cap hit for cutting him, especially since he is a concussion away from retirement just like Fido, which would leave us in a lurch again.   Ed Dickson would be another decent bridge as a blocking TE which is absolutely necessary if we're sticking with glorified slot receiver Anderson for even half a season. Troy Niklas would be a decent younger option as a blocker and perhaps he could be coached up to be a bigger part of the passing game. 

I mentioned Lewis primarily because I'd like to pick him up - guy can set an edge and help the run game develop to the outside.

I think post draft - when we start to see additional post June 1st cuts - is when we see the TE market we need. Vet guys with experience, blockers who can sneak open once in a while - no real game changer, but a presence to rely on.

I know he is a free agent and thus free to choose where he signs.  BUT this would have been a good get (esp. at the price) for the good guys

Lions signed TE Luke Willson, formerly of the Seahawks, to a one-year, $2.5 million contract.

48 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I know he is a free agent and thus free to choose where he signs.  BUT this would have been a good get (esp. at the price) for the good guys

That is a fair price, actually. Damn.

Why is EJ Gaines still available? 

PFF has him rated as one of the best CBs in the league. There is either something going on that no one knows or hes simply wanting too much money. 

If we could add him and Cut Jackson, our D would definitely be back to top 5 in the league, and with Watson at QB, we could be scary good. 

Gaines and JJoe on the outside with Colvin in the slot, Hal and Honey Badger in the back. Mckinney and Cunningham in the middle. CLowney and Mercilus rushing the passer

deadly

11 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Why is EJ Gaines still available? 

Google tells me he met with the Cardinals and the meeting went "great". Given the Cardinals (notably Steve Wilks) philosophy of plugging and playing DBs, could be that money is the issue - not that Gaines is asking for too much, but the Cardinals not offering enough.

I dunno, we'll see.

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Google tells me he met with the Cardinals and the meeting went "great". Given the Cardinals (notably Steve Wilks) philosophy of plugging and playing DBs, could be that money is the issue - not that Gaines is asking for too much, but the Cardinals not offering enough.

I dunno, we'll see.

either way, we have 40 million and i would love to get him

29 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Either him or Breeland, I'd be on board for. Moreso him than Breeland. Then throw in a Kenny Vaccaro to add to the S rotation, cut/trade Kareem and sit pretty with your secondary for next season 

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Yep, I don't quite get the EJ Gaines delay either.  Based on performance alone, he was the top overall corner in my book with coverage skills far better than Butler, T. Johnson, or Kyle Fuller (and Colvin).  I'd argue Gaines was more valuable than Watkins straight up, but Gaine also got a 2nd rounder out of the Rams for a guy who just walked for a stupid 3 / $48m contract for the Chiefs.  Injury history is the knock on Gaines, but the dude played at Pro Bowl level last year and is 3 years removed from his lisfranc and just had a run of the mill hammy injury and shoulder injury from a hit neither of which make him "injury prone" especially at 26.  At this point, most secondary guys are going to have to settle for one year deals as is the custom for FAs that don't get locked up early, so I think we'd be nuts not to be throwing the Mathieu deal at him, and I'd think he'd be happy to sign on for a role that helped get Bouye a $68 mil deal.  We should be able to easily outbid the Cardinals on a short-term deal.

As for the $40 million, I suspect we are going to use a healthy chunk to lock up Clowney and burn off some of his $100 mil+ in year 1 via a roster bonus which likely will double his 2018 hit from $12 to $24 (a shade under V. Miller). We might do the same with B. Mac who is sitting at only $1.7 million.  Even accounting for those two big raises, we are likely sitting with at least $20m and that's before cutting KJack and saving $6.75. I'd hold $8m-$10m in reserve for a Whitworth type older o-line vet becomes available via draft/post draft trade (Valdheer/Bulaga/Penn/Peters).  Gotta keep $3-$4 million around for a backup QB too. 

I like that Gaine isn't making any ridiculous long-term mistakes, but swapping Gaines for KJack for minimal cap difference seems like the final piece as Colvin/KJack/KJo/Matheiu have all proven to be overmatched outside, while Gaines brings true man to man cover skill out there. Who covers Odell, Dez, P. Richardson, Landry, Cooks, Jeffery, D. Thomas, E. Sanders, Hilton, Corey Davis this year?  Remember, we gave up 186 to Keelan Cole,  175 to Hilton, 171 yards to Robert Woods, 131 to Cooks, 121 to Lockett, 105 to Richardson, 106 to Marquise Goodwin.  Speed receivers destroyed us!  Colvin and Mathieu may have improved the skill-level, but we still don't have an answer for the speed problem that has plagued us since Joseph started slowing down and we know KJack/KJohn aren't the answer. 

2 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I'd hold $8m-$10m in reserve for a Whitworth type older o-line vet becomes available via draft/post draft trade (Valdheer/Bulaga/Penn/Peters).  Gotta keep $3-$4 million around for a backup QB too. 

Donald Penn isn't a name I thought of, but he'd be ideal. He's basically Duane Brown with half of the decline concerns. 

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

when i saw that, i was thinking there is no way

We still have roughly the same number of picks. Might as well go for it. 

Gotta defend my title...xD

Archived