Texans off-season thread

ET80

9 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Marc Vandemeer is talking about Zach Cunningham right now - apparently, he put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle this off-season and looks like a 3-4 ILB now. He might be a good candidate for a guy who takes a big jump in Y2...

I'm definitely bullish on ZC who feels like he was straight out of the Texans 2018 drafting handbook vs. Rick Smith's historical type picks.  Star of lesser program vs. 8th best player on a blue blood - consistent production - smart - fast - high motor.  Only real knocks on him were that he was a bit skinny and wasn't a thumper, neither of which were big issues for me.  NFL strength program is going to bulk up a player and hitting to me is a relic from a brand of football that barely exists anymore.   We needed an athletic sideline to sideline LB with the wheels to hang with TEs & RBs in coverage and ZC more than fit the bill.  He had a few rookie mistakes, but by and large he was one of standouts on the one unit that lived up to standards last season.  

As for Braxton Miller, he is the quintessential Rick Smith pick.  Mid-level player from a blue blood.  Poor fit for need (we needed a slot receiver with wheels, toughness, and HANDS).   Poor college production (as a WR).   Value based on projection, not performance.   As it has played out Miller has basically played like he did in college vs. some magical transformation into a WR that to me was based on one stat padded season from Terrelle Pryor (who is 4 inches taller), not anything to do with what Miller actually is. Miller has 34 rec and 2 tds, is a horrific route runner, displayed bad hands, can't catch in traffic, and lacks toughness and durability missing 10 games - in short, he's still a quarterback playing WR. Personally, I'm rooting for Jester Weah and Vyncint Smith.  Vyncint ran a 4.3 with 39.4 vert on a 6' 3" frame.  Basically, these "traits" guys are what should be UDFA's which is what Miller should have been without the Terrelle Pryor driven hype on an Ohio St QB convert.     

On 5/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Marc Vandemeer is talking about Zach Cunningham right now - apparently, he put on about 10-15 lbs of muscle this off-season and looks like a 3-4 ILB now. He might be a good candidate for a guy who takes a big jump in Y2...

Thats good to hear. Him and McKinney could be top 3 ILB tandem by the end of next season. 

Raiders just flipped a 7th round pick in 2019 to the Jets for Christian Hackenberg. Really shocked O'Brien didn't try to make a move on this, given his history with Hackenberg.  

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Raiders just flipped a 7th round pick in 2019 to the Jets for Christian Hackenberg. Really shocked O'Brien didn't try to make a move on this, given his history with Hackenberg.  

Perhaps O'Brien has learned from Mallett, Osweiler, Savage, that big slow inaccurate turnover prone QBs who can't handle pressure and have massive flaws in their delivery aren't worth the time invested to fix them.   Gruden seems committed to reviving late 90's offensive philosophy, so throwing the unlikely to be met conditions of a 7th rounder is worth the cost especially when Connor Cook and EJ Manuel are your backups.  A Gruden Manziel marriage seems inevitable because he may be the one guy blind enough to buy into the Johnny "redemption" story.  Sure, his ER visit last month after spending all day at Mike Evans golf tourney and JMBLYA festival all night was a "lithium dosage issue" had nothing to do with it interacting with other substances (sure and Lil Peep just had a minor issue managing his anxiety eating Xanax like tic tacs as in they didn't interact well with the 9 other drugs in his system). I don't see a happy ending to the Johnny story, especially if he plays for a team moving to Vegas.

I'm hoping the Texans have their eyes on some potential upgrades on Weedon, but I suspect it's going to come on one of those cutdown day trades where we take on salary (Bradford, Bridgewater, Hoyer, Gabbert) or a prospect that has been bumped down the pecking order by higher picks.  Personally, I'm kind of interested in Josh Dobbs or Brett Hundley neither of which I see surviving cuts.  Nathan Peterman could be interesting since Gaine was involved in picking him and he's one of the few guys who can say they beat Deshaun Watson in college. Dude got thrown to the wolves last year way before a late 5th rounder should as part of a power struggle, so their loss could be our gain as he's a great fit here.  Obviously, ints were the primary issue and the best part of O'Brien's track record so far has been minimizing those.  Dude is really solid throwing on the run, smart running a pro system, good pocket awareness, and accurate on the short-intermediate stuff.  

I like the Stephen Morris signing as he's got some Deshaun to his game as an athletic Qb with a solid arm that needs to be coached up.  Accuracy was the knock on Deshaun and has always been what limited Morris along with some questionable decision making.  Don't have great expectations, but I think he's got more developmental potential than Heinecke did.

ESPN showed s few clips of Deshaun Watson throwing at OTAs. Not much to glean from an OTA session, but it's exciting to see him able to put in football-related work.

On 30/05/2018 at 5:00 AM, mse326 said:

Don't feel like digging up the thread but I only think it's fair if we criticize a player for sexual assault we allow them to tell their side. Here is an article about the Mumphrey case and him now suing Michigan State

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/29/keith-mumphery-msu-rape-title-ix

Not the first time I've heard this type of story.

This time of year always sucks.

Rockets aren't ever playing basketball in June

Rockets dont ever have draft picks

Texans arent doing anything

July comes with some exciting free agent stuff in the NBA

Training Camp starts at the end of the mont

basically june and july give us American Ninja Warrior and nothing else. 

36 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

basically june and july give us American Ninja Warrior and nothing else. 

You're forgetting YOUR 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION HOUSTON ASTROS...

giphy.gif

On 5/31/2018 at 5:16 AM, texans_uk said:

Not the first time I've heard this type of story.

See also Art Briles. Essentially received a lifetime ban, yet 2 years after he was fired, still not a shred of evidence that he did anything wrong.

http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/columns/guest_columns/bill-rogers-guest-columnist-the-confounding-case-of-former-baylor/article_9b6967ff-dcc4-5e5d-8f2c-8604de7990b6.html

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

See also Art Briles. Essentially received a lifetime ban, yet 2 years after he was fired, still not a shred of evidence that he did anything wrong.

http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/columns/guest_columns/bill-rogers-guest-columnist-the-confounding-case-of-former-baylor/article_9b6967ff-dcc4-5e5d-8f2c-8604de7990b6.html

Lack of institutional control

So Watson seems to be OK. We’ve still got 2 months before camp, and all signs point to him being 100% at camp. He will play with a knee brace this season I’m sure but he did in college and had no issues. 

The only questions seem to be

1. Is Watson 100% of what he was or 100% of what he is now. That’s an important distinction. He can be fully healed and have permenant decline either physically or mentally. His escape ability and running threat is why he was lighting people up. If he’s a pocket passer going forward, he’s going to be an average QB

2. What is the reinjury risk. Sports medicine is advancing so quickly, that it’s hard to tell even year to year what injuries are going to cause what problems. 20 years ago an ACL year was a career ender. Now it was 9 months and back. If he carries a reinjury risk, that’s not good. If the reinjury risk is no greater than injuring it to begin with then great. 

3. How much do we let Watson get hit in pre season. Week 1 Against an angry Patriots team is a tough task. He’s going to get hit, I just hope it’s not the first hits he has to take. 

Archived