Texans off-season thread

ET80

58 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

That Brandon Brooks story makes me hate Bill O'Brien even more.  

You mean the one saying it wasn't fun and he preferred Kubs way? Yeah, that doesn't make me hate BOB. That makes me question Brooks.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

You mean the one saying it wasn't fun and he preferred Kubs way? Yeah, that doesn't make me hate BOB. That makes me question Brooks.

Bingo. 

Brandon Brooks comes off as incredibly entitled and not willing to take criticism following that story. Arian Foster and Duane Brown both have vented about the Texans as an organization recently, but one person they praised in their discussion? Bill O'Brien. Scott Ferrell on CBS dropped hints that Brian Cushing wasn't an O'Brien fan, but Cushing quickly put that rumor to rest. 

Ultimately, I'll look at our future franchise QB for his thoughts on the subject:

I mean thats one way to look at it.  Cant get mad at you two for thinking that, but I kind of take Brooks side.  I could see if O'Brien was a legit HC like BB or someone like that.  O Brien hasnt proven anything and his arrogance doesnt hold on weight giving his coaching resume. Bottom line is O'Brien is a fraud.  His ego is bigger than his skill set.

BOB sucks. Everyone knows it. We can’t win a championship with him, because he folds under pressure. How many times have we seen our team totally unprepared for a big game or how many times have we seen BOB completely melt down with clock management. 

Hes a scrub that may or may not have his job saved by watson this year. Another 6 win or less season and he’s finished. 

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

What I hate is that every offseason the press tries to concoct some false "controversy" about the Patriots as if football fans crave some "Real Housewives" version of football with false drama about "who likes who, who hates who, and who said what about who." Glad to hear Brooks was having more "fun" with Kubiak as he sat in fat camp for the entirety of his rookie season and his 2nd season his 12-4 team fell to 2-14, yep that was a blast. Kubiak was having such a fun mellow time keeping things "player friendly" he had mini-strokes multiple times on the sidelines and had to retire when repeating as Champion or even to the playoffs wasn't quite as easy as the Patriots make it look.  

Love that he brought Reggie Wayne into his "argument" as if the Colts "get it" and the Pats don't.  The Colts were gifted a franchise QB in Luck and squandered away their entire window overpaying aging vets, gambling on one season wonders, and focusing on glamour positions like WR instead of building an offensive line like the Eagles did.  I'm far from a Patriot lover, but simple fact is that the Pats have 15 playoff appearances and 8 Super Bowl appearances since 2000 because they don't tolerate complacency or bother with sentiment in keeping players past their prime, overpaying them, or bringing in players for victory laps, like the Colts did with Andre Johnson (likely burning his hall of fame cred in the process). I'm sure Jon Gruden would invite Reggie Wayne to be a Raider if he could, but horrific personnel decisions like that turned the Super Bowl team he was gifted into a 4-12 team in one season - but Chucky sure is a "fun" character.

Funny how much "fun" everyone was having in Seattle before they had to pay their QB and start making tough financial decisions, all their smart innovative assistants were hired away, or did "fun" things like throwing away a Super Bowl victory and their window with undisciplined coaching and play.  Funny how cool Tomlin is until he continues to cost his far more talented team playoff games with flawed strategic fundamental mistakes Belichick simply doesn't make.  Talk to me in a few years when the Eagles have to pay Wentz, and being loyal to a franchise icon like Peters, Kelce, or Ertz costs Brooks his job.  What will be "fun" for me is to watch as Michael Bennett poisons this locker room with arguments about why the white backup QB is getting paid more than "star" defensive lineman or starts accusing Malcolm Jenkins of selling out to the man by co-leading the player coalition that took the owners $89m payoff.

The Eagles had a magical season and a fun drunken parade, but Brooks might want to just be happy he landed in the right situation FOR HIM FOR NOW and not burn bridges or make judgements about coaching/management philosophies when he himself has acknowledged his anxiety issues or forget that absent discipline he became an obese slob that took 3 years to mold into an effective player.  Brooks is a fat and happy offseason away from getting scrutiny about why the Eagles o-line has gone from best to worst in their division, why they can't run the ball, why Wentz is getting hit, QB controversy, Jim Schwartz head coaching rumors, etc.  Maybe Doug Pederson was a cool dude when nobody expected his team to go anywhere (again), but that things get a bit more tense when they are expected to walk back into a Super Bowl and it doesn't quite come that easy. Guys like Kubiak and Peterson obviously learned a lot backing up legends in Favre and Elway, but I'm not sure being front runners or operating from the top is their strong suit as they lose that blue collar, underdog edge and the simple fact is that it usually takes a hard driving mentality like Belichick / Saban to keep top teams doing all the little things it takes to STAY on top.

Side note - The O'Brien/Belichick connection continues to be overblown.   O'Brien probably doesn't crack the top dozen in coaches important in the Belichick era as he was a minor underling (film evaluator) who ascended thru attritionwho called the McDaniels playbook for one underwhelming season.  As for O'Brien, George O'Leary eclipses Belichick BY FAR as O'Brien's coaching mentor.  O'Leary gave him his big break as a nobody from Brown and took him under his wing his entire ride at Georgia Tech. They put together a Penn State vs. Central Florida game in Dublin, so they could drink pints together in the homeland.  O'Brien worked with O'Leary for 7 seasons, worked for another O'Leary guy after the Notre Dame scandal, and hired more O'Leary guys when he got here than Belichick guys. He and Doug Marrone were so tight during their Georgia Tech days people joked that they should get married, so being good Catholic boys, they did the next best things and married another set of best friends who set up each other with their significant others.  He runs practice like him (O'leary once killed a guy), he talks like him (foul mouthed), he unapologetically rubs people the wrong way like him, and O'Leary perfected the "give 'em nothing" approach with the press even being a cautionary tale with his career taken down by a New Hampshire newspaper exposing some fluff he'd carried around on his resume for 25 years.

Side to the side - On the other side of this narrative, ain't it funny how everyone gives Tom Coughlin so much credit for Jacksonville returning to "a winning culture" in a turnaround even more dramatic than the Eagles.  If there EVER was a guy known for discipline it's Tom Coughlin who treats practice like boot camp, showing up 5 minutes early is "on-time", white sleeves/black shoe's/socks only.  I wonder if Jags had more "fun" winning 3 games under Gus Bradley's loosy goosy regime or the brink of the Super Bowl with Marrone / Coughlin?  I wonder how much fun the Giants locker room was last year with Beckham's antics and their entire secondary taking turns at the wheel backing the bus over one another.  The Bengals coaching staff sure has been player friendly in the Marvin Lewis / Hue Jackson era which is a good reason none of them have ever won a playoff game.  Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, John Fox, Lovie Smith, Raheem Morris, Leslie Frazier were popular "player friendly" coaches who's teams underachieved their buddies right out of jobs.

PS - When Cushing, D. Brown, and Foster are your critics, you must be doing something right.  2 guys who's careers are defined by shortcut-taking with roids and sabataging seasons with continued use and Foster who knocks up his 20 year old side piece, tries to force her to get an abortion, then trashes and sues her for for being an attention whore trying to be a reality star and exposing you as just another groupie banging misogynist philanderer instead of the holier than thou philosopher vegan king  (who's the attention whore now Arian as it seems like you are so desperate to remain relevant, your "podcast career" is based around slinging mud at the only team that gave you a chance and instead of using restricted free agency and franchise tags to cost control your limited prime, signed you to a $45 million contract that along with CJ2K's pretty much served as the cautionary model that destroyed long-term guaranteed contracts for the next generation of RBs.)  

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Do people in here honestly believe that BOB knows how to coach at a championship level? 

You and I have been through this before, so I'll merely say "Yes" and acknowledge that we'll agree to disagree.

16 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

very good news. I am trying to hold out hope that Watt getting another season off will help the back recovery. It was obvious in the games he played last year that he was nothing like his former self. Hopefully another year removed from the back injury will allow him to regain muscle strength. The leg injury doesnt worry me as much as the back. If we get Watt back at 100% of his old self, we will win the division....barring another injury. 

Archived