Sign in to follow this  
ET80

Texans off-season thread

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is big - even with the money, Texans won't be re-signing Clowney this off-season.

Part of me is a bit relieved, because Clowney is a bit of a mystery with the production and injury history. This being said, if Clowney keeps on his current trajectory... this could be a very expensive.

All in all, I'm actually OK with playing the waiting game. If Clowney has a big year, the money will be there (as well as justified). If Clowney has a slow year, you can either get him on a reduced deal, or even let him test the market. Franchise tag is also an option on both.

48 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Franchise tag is also an option on both.

If Clowney has a JJ Watt-2014 type season, you leave that tag in the filing cabinet and lock up Clowney.

Posted (edited)

I lend almost no credence to any of these "will he/won't he" sign "stories."  Half the stories are blind speculation and the other half are just "plants" by agents/teams to create urgency and stir pressure.  I saw nearly the exact same quote yesterday saying Julio Jones "will absolutely not get more money this year" vs. Julio Jones is "fuming" and 12 hours later his holdout was over.   When 30 sources simultaneously report some version of  "Aaron Donald will absolutely not play another down without a new contract" we should know it's basically a press release from his agent.   You've got to read the coded language in these things like when Donald's agent uses a word like "insulted" by offer.

My read on tone of the Clowney situations which has included words like "amicable" and "may play out final year" says both sides are happy with where they stand and have no need to use the media to push the needle.   Basically this is the Jake Matthews / Taylor Lewan situation where the Falcons/Matthews couldn't finish their deal until the Lewan deal went through to set the market (and Jones had to wait for the Matthews deal to finish for them to adjust his).  Clowney is behind Donald and Mack in the pecking order, so neither side is going to sign and risk it not fitting properly in scope of those deals. This entire story is from one tweet from Rappoport who's "source" is likely McClain who might as well draw a check directly from the Texans.

Edited by Apollo Stallion

I reject any logic in waiting a year on the Clowney deal as it would waste the opportunity to front load and burn off as much as possible since we aren't using the cap space this year, but might bring in a high end OT or CB next year.  Barring a catastrophic injury, there is almost no scenario where Clowney's market value is going to go down as edge rushers remain a far rarer commodity than people think (in a redraft, name me 4 edge rushers you take over him) and Clowney's trendline is still pointing up as we still haven't really seen him and JJ play together healthy.  Planning on franchising him in 2019 makes zero sense as you want to lock up your 26 year old stars and spread bonus over 5-6 seasons through their prime, not strong arm them for a season and practically ensure they hit the market at peak value. You also want to keep Clowney and Mercilus' deals staggered as he's due in 2019.  

If we learned anything from the Duane Brown situation it's that leverage can be abused to the point where it breaks and we do not want to go further adding to a narrative about the team taking care of guys like Cushing and Watt and standing by them thru injury while using a minor scope as an excuse to make Clowney "prove" something he already has the past 2 seasons.  DB rushed back early from injury to play in 2016 and just a season later we weren't willing to give him the security of guaranteeing some of his 2018 salary (we could sign 3 Duane Browns right now and still have cap to burn). Remember, it was our stupid old school coach using the media to pressure Clowney into coming back before he was ready that at least contributed to the need for microfracture surgery to begin with, so if anyone is justified resisting touching a football field until he has long-term security, it's Clowney.  If I'm an agent, I bring footage of a concussed Hoyer still being sent out there in a blowout or Savage playing seconds after evidence of a traumatic brain injury to show exactly why you should never trust this staff to look out for your long-term interests.  Hell, Fido had just signed a contract and we still managed to destroy his career by playing him too soon after a concussion, then screwed him by using his 3rd concussion as a pre-existing condition to void a huge chunk of his salary. 

Texans signed WR/KR Quan Bray whom the Bills cut when they stole Corey Coleman from the Browns.  Return game continues to show nothing with Ervin and Braxton, so might as well give this guy a shot although he seems pretty redundant once KKQT gets back.  I DO NOT want to see Fuller back there this season unless it's a critical return to try and pull a game out.  Sure wish we'd bring in some more CB/S to get a shot as the back end remains quite suspect.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10807/quan-bray

50 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We can tag him twice so he’s gonna be in Houston a while unless he sucks 

You're risking things with a 2nd tag - you're going to need plenty of cap to re-sign Deshaun Watson in two years, and bringing Clowney up for 120% of that first tag is going to wreck your cap.

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

You're risking things with a 2nd tag - you're going to need plenty of cap to re-sign Deshaun Watson in two years, and bringing Clowney up for 120% of that first tag is going to wreck your cap.

if hes worth it, then hes worth it. if hes not then you dont do it. PLus with Watson we can pick up his 5th year option. 

Word from the joint practice (outside of the Jimmie Ward/DeAndre Hopkins fight) is that JJ Watt completely evicerated Mike McGlinchey all day today. 

I don't want to get my hopes up, but... well, my hopes are getting up.

mcglinchey is huge, he makes JJ look short in that second video