Texans off-season thread

ET80

Since we need another CB ASAP.... (bold are favs)

CB Kayvon Webster coming in this week, but has meetings with other teams first 

CB Daryl Morris

CB Bashaud Breeland

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromatie

CB Chris Culliver

CB Jordan Lucas (MIA)

CB Keion Crossen (NEP)

CB Brian Allen (PIT)

CB Antonio Hamilton (OAK)

CB Dexter McDonald (OAK)

CB B.W. Webb (NYG)

CB Prince Charles Iworah (WAS)

CB Josh Hawkins (GB)

CB Josh Robinson (TB)

CB Emmanuel Moseley (SF) did get a pick against us yesterday

38 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Our secondary is going to suck, and it will cost us games.

We might have the number 1 run D, and be in 35-42 shoot out games every week. 

I like Joe Webb. I think we should keep him at the 2 and cut Weeden. 

lol what? How can you like him? He is very inaccurate and got lucky on that last drive. No thanks

Enough of this bs, bring in friggin Eric Reid on a one year deal who would come in as one of the 4 most talented members of this unit and not have us playing waiver wire scratch offs every other week like last year.  Move Kareem back to the slot full-time, let Eric mentor his little bro at FS and when he's ready flip flop em. Trust me, I'm not excited about seeing Kareem back at CB either, but he's better by a long shot than any of the other guys still available with the possible exception of Breeland if his foot has recovered from the golf cart incident. Justin looked better this week than last, but you can toss this "pro-ready stuff" out as he's very much still a work in progress and like most rookie safeties, ain't ready for prime time.   I'm not a huge fan, but George Iloka (cut by Bengals) is a better version of Corey Moore as the box safety as well although Gaine doesn't seem to be any more proactive with depth than Ricky was.  Drummond is pretty much a lock as a special team ace and has looked decent in the secondary so far, while Campbell is nondescript and Decoud is barely getting garbage 4th quarter reps at this point, so no free roster ride this year.

Belichick, Brady, and McDaniels will absolutely smell blood in the water miles away if Bandemosi is our #3 CB week 1 -  good special teamer, but despite my hopeful wishes he's showing why he was about 7th on their CB depth chart (behind safeties) and is about as much of a CB as Matthew Slater is a WR (he did play 3 games back there with injuries, even less in Cleve and Det).   Remember, they torched us WITH JJ & Mercilus, so pass rush doesn't solve the problem. Pick up Britt, Dorsett, Decker, or Patterson for your fantasy team as one of them is going to have one of those week 1 breakouts that skyrockets their value, never to come near it the rest of the season.

Heck, Colvin hasn't exactly impressed so far (beat for a TD this week) and we haven't even seen if Joseph has lost another half-step which could be the tipping point where his smarts and technique can't make up for it.  I actually think Dee Virgin has some skills worth continuing to develop on the practice squad (NOT #4 on the depth chart), but he's obviously not there yet as the good things are outweighed by the lapses where he gets picked on which was often this week. Amongst the rest, Thornton is the only one who has looked even remotely rosterable and I saw him limping off this week.   That leaves the 2017 San Jose State secondary with Chachere who has been awful and Kelly who hasn't yet been out there to show that Chachere was actually more draftable than he was. 

The o-line has been a very pleasant surprise particularly the depth guys like Fuller, Johnson, Slade, and Quess, so at least we have options, especially with Rankin now back in the mix.  The best case scenario with the secondary was already a stretch in May, so it is astounding that we aren't making moves when our starting FS and outside CB's go down and the depth guys getting bumped up can't hang with camp body WRs.  Not sure there is going to be much hit the market on cutdown day, but we should be looking out for vets getting pinched by younger less expensive guys since we've got cap to burn.  Heck, the Steelers nabbed Joe Haden off the wire in August last year.

Braxton Miller might have some low end trade appeal for the right team, so instead of getting another 6th-7th rounder to waste next year on another Decoud/Kelly, maybe we could move him for a corner in a lesser version of the Sammy Watkins/EJ Gaines trades Gaine pulled off last year.   Dude played nearly every snap this week which I interpret more as a trade showcase than a vote of confidence.  Browns, Bears,  Ravens, Colts, Cowboys, Panthers, Saints, and 49ers all need WRs, but not seeing much to love in their secondaries. Coates injury could save Miller, but Ellington and Coutee have sealed up the slot job and Miller has been as useless on special teams as Strong and Posey were.   Conceivable that we keep 4 Wrs and 4 Rbs again since Webb can play WR in a pinch and Pope/Ervin are more useful on STs than Miller.  I hope we get a Swanson showcase this week instead of wasting time on Blue running up backsides, but part of me thinks they may be trying to keep him under the radar to sneak him thru to the PS since Blue should get cut the second Foreman is back.  I think S. Anderson is a goner, but could keep 4 TEs.  We could just cut the useless Prosch spot since 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 are passing or punting downs for this team, but apparently "punt protector" is vital when your punter gets a punt blocked once every 60 games or roughly his rate of throwing pass completions.

The Patriots have mastered the late, under the radar trade to shore up depth the past few years including Bandemosi, Van Noy, Dorsett, Rowe, Bennett and others.  Remember, Coates garnered a high 6th rounder last year on a cutdown day deal.  Heck, by my count we're going to end up cutting at least 4 LBs I'd like to have on the team with Gilchrist, Lewis, Kamalu, Kalambayi, and maybe even Bellamy, Keyes, all behiind behind 4 potential Pro Bowlers and 3 that would be starting for most in Ejiofor, Cole, and maybe Scarlett.  Throw in special teams leader Peters and we've got depth for days.  It would be a bit of a shock, but I can see moving Mercilus for the right price like the Pats did with Collins as it's tough to see us resigning both he and Clowney in 2019-20.

im hoping the secondary will be better when have the big 3 playing 

not sure what to think about Webb. if he's a good special teamer, sure lets keep him, but i still dont understand why we have Weeden. maybe just to have him around as a veteran presence/mentor for watson? 

Hearing we might sign CB Kayvan Webster (Rams) who isn't half bad if his achilles has healed.  Hearing more and more how the Eagles love Sidney Jones, so Ronald Darby could be available since he's in a walk year and they're stacked at CB (another example of a WR/CB deal as he was in the Jordan Matthews deal). Jason McCourty could get pinched in NE. Hopkins buddy Jimmie Ward might be available from San Fran.  There's always the Earl Thomas pipedream, but I think that sailed when we signed Mathieu and Dallas sure is keeping that safety job open. 

Side note - think we're regretting picking up the 5th year option on Kevin Johnson?  Guarantees him the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid corners or over $9 million next year.  Usually picking up the option for a borderline guy in his situation is more of a "prove it" situation while protecting you against a Kyle Fuller like breakout which has them paying him about $5 million more this year than if they had just picked up his option last year.  The option goes away if you cut the guy after the season like the Lions did with Eric Ebron, but the big catch is that it is guaranteed for injury (aka if he broke his clavicle on that dolphin dive or he decides he done getting concussions on the Texans cement turf, we're on the hook for next year).  Remember, the Redskins didn't even let RG3 near the field in year 4.  Hurts enough to be paying Kareem Jackson $9 million this year - I can't imagine having to pay the lesser KJ $9 to sit on the couch next year.  If that happens, I hope he shares some of it with Fido after we completely hosed him out of his "guaranteed $."  He'll probably come back this year, but at this point, the second he can pass a physical, I'm cutting or trading him as I wouldn't pay him $9m over the next 3 seasons better yet one.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:19 AM, jch1911 said:

Since we need another CB ASAP.... (bold are favs)

CB Kayvon Webster coming in this week, but has meetings with other teams first 

CB Daryl Morris

CB Bashaud Breeland

CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromatie

CB Chris Culliver

CB Jordan Lucas (MIA)

CB Keion Crossen (NEP)

CB Brian Allen (PIT)

CB Antonio Hamilton (OAK)

CB Dexter McDonald (OAK)

CB B.W. Webb (NYG)

CB Prince Charles Iworah (WAS)

CB Josh Hawkins (GB)

CB Josh Robinson (TB)

CB Emmanuel Moseley (SF) did get a pick against us yesterday

Do not expect much from McDonald or Hamilton 

13 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I dont see anyone giving up a 3rd or better for a 1 year back up QB

A team in need of a longer term plan (NY Giants, San Diego) or a win now team that is a QB away (Jacksonville) could probably pony up more. Anyone trading for him would have a longer term plan than a one year rental as well, they'd probably start negotiating for a longer term deal immediately.

There's a good conversation going on in General on this very subject - nobody is viewing Bridgewater as strictly a backup, he's being looked at as a potential 2019 starter in this discussion. 

Edit: Sam Bradford was in a similar situation with Philadelphia, and people figured he'd also go for a 4th or later. Then, Bridgewater tore up his knee and Bradford was then flipped for a 1st. 

Bridgewater has less of an injury history (shockingly) and was more accomplished than Bradford was when that trade went down. Starting calibur QBs are gold in this league, and you don't let one go unless you're getting big compensation for them.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There's a good conversation going on in General on this very subject - nobody is viewing Bridgewater as strictly a backup, he's being looked at as a potential 2019 starter in this discussion. 

Edit: Sam Bradford was in a similar situation with Philadelphia, and people figured he'd also go for a 4th or later. Then, Bridgewater tore up his knee and Bradford was then flipped for a 1st. 

Bridgewater has less of an injury history (shockingly) and was more accomplished than Bradford was when that trade went down. Starting calibur QBs are gold in this league, and you don't let one go unless you're getting big compensation for them.

Bradford had not missed 2 straight years of football, and Bradford had performed a lot better than Bridgewater when he was traded to the Eagles. I dont think they are comparable. 

anything can happen, but Ill be shocked if they give up a high pick for a guy who hasnt played since 2015, and was very average then. 

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Bradford had not missed 2 straight years of football, and Bradford had performed a lot better than Bridgewater when he was traded to the Eagles. I dont think they are comparable. 

Let's not pretend that Bradford doesn't have his share of injuries - shoulder and knee injuries have followed this guy since his days at Oklahoma, and last season was a wash after - four games, I think? I think 2012 was the only time Bradford played a full 16 games. Two years following a catastrophic knee injury is a bit more palatable vs nine years of constant injuries in his throwing shoulder as well as both knees. Even without the injury, Bradford wasn't exactly a game changer. Much like Bridgewater, he severely underperformed his draft slot as a former #1 pick.

Nonetheless - he went for a 1st rounder. I'll agree that Bridgewater doesn't go for THAT, but 4th is also very low for a potential floor for him. Fair spot is a 3rd, 2nd is feasible if a team is desperate (if Eli Manning got hurt, for example).

Archived