Texans off-season thread

ET80

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Let's not pretend that Bradford doesn't have his share of injuries - shoulder and knee injuries have followed this guy since his days at Oklahoma, and last season was a wash after - four games, I think? I think 2012 was the only time Bradford played a full 16 games. Two years following a catastrophic knee injury is a bit more palatable vs nine years of constant injuries in his throwing shoulder as well as both knees. Even without the injury, Bradford wasn't exactly a game changer. Much like Bridgewater, he severely underperformed his draft slot as a former #1 pick.

Nonetheless - he went for a 1st rounder. I'll agree that Bridgewater doesn't go for THAT, but 4th is also very low for a potential floor for him. Fair spot is a 3rd, 2nd is feasible if a team is desperate (if Eli Manning got hurt, for example).

It would take a team that thinks they can compete, losing their QB for them to make a big move on Bridgewater. 

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

It would take a team that thinks they can compete, losing their QB for them to make a big move on Bridgewater. 

So in essence, we're a Blake Bortles injury away from it. :D

So I got a question. Watson had the most time to throw of any QB in the league last season. Was that due exclusively to him extending plays by manipulating the pocket, evading defenders, and rolling out, or was it in part the offensive line?

37 minutes ago, Danger said:

So I got a question. Watson had the most time to throw of any QB in the league last season. Was that due exclusively to him extending plays by manipulating the pocket, evading defenders, and rolling out, or was it in part the offensive line?

Lol 100% Watson

3 hours ago, Danger said:

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Lol 100% Watson

Yup.

11 hours ago, Danger said:

Time To Throw (TT)

Time to Throw measures the average amount of time elapsed from the time of snap to throw on every pass attempt for a passer (sacks excluded).

Just a completely meaningless methodologically unsound garbage "next gen stat" that reveals nothing about the QB, O-line, or offense in general.  Beyond that, it's lazy as we're talking about 20-40 plays per game that could easily be broken down by situation to reveal something meaningful like "sacks avoided vs. sacks taken" if that's what you want to isolate.  For the o-line, giving the QB "all day in the pocket" is a good thing, forcing him to scramble (which also takes more time) is bad, so measuring anything by "time" is an inherently flawed metric.

If you eliminate sacks, then you are skewing it to "scramblers" that use their legs to evade the rush which is pretty clear from the top 10 (Watson, Wilson, Taylor, Hundley, Goff, Brissett, Kizer, Prescott).  However, there are so many other factors that could contribute, it's just a muddled mess since "getting the ball out quick," "making quick reads" and "keeping the play alive" are all desirable skills where "time" cancels out. The Kubiak offense was a mix of quick hitting passes and long developing play action, so what would "tt" even tell you about Schaub?  Wilson's "tt" may be a good thing or an indicator his crappy o-line had him running for his life just like Watson.  Was Kizer "keeping plays alive" or "not able to make reads fast enough"?  How do you account for time for short passes vs. time for bombs?  Run/pass option?  Screen passes?  Shotgun vs. under center? Throwing balls away? 2 minute drill? Tom Savage and Tom Brady had identical "tt" - probably the worst pocket presence vs. the best - Hall of fame ability to go thru progressions vs. one who predetermined nearly every throw.  Slow release vs. quick release.  Decent protection/ horrific protection. All cancels out and reveals nothing.

As someone who moonlighted for Bill James "Baseball Info Solutions" that has revolutionized how the game is scouted, played, and viewed it pains me greatly to see how football remains in the dark ages when it comes to meaningful analytics vs. the unscientific garbage that people attempt to pass off as a football corollary to next gen stats.  Might as well just put the "hang time" clock back on the screen for idiots to blather on about for how little has progressed in meaningful analysis in this sport.     

On 8/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

I am optimistic that Davenport will be a long term starter at LT

I can buy it if he gets passed this next draft. There are a good amount of top tackle prospects this year (Little, Adams, Edwards, Williams...). Even if he plays well I wouldn't be shocked if we take one and then the question would be who is on the left and who is right.

4 hours ago, mse326 said:

I can buy it if he gets passed this next draft. There are a good amount of top tackle prospects this year (Little, Adams, Edwards, Williams...). Even if he plays well I wouldn't be shocked if we take one and then the question would be who is on the left and who is right.

I see Adams and Williams as top 15 guys - Adams would have been the top guy in this draft had he not blown out his knee last season. If Adams regresses when he returns, try to grab him - he's gonna be a lockdown guy.

I have to think RB is also a possibility in the first two rounds, especially when we've got two 2nd round picks. Bryce Love? Sign me up for that.

Archived