Texans off-season thread

ET80

On 8/26/2018 at 8:06 PM, ET80 said:

Words I have never heard from you...xD

Let me jump in on the good vibes train.    The Kayvon Webster signing is one of my favorite non-splash signings in a long time.   Mathieu was obviously huge (although I wanted us to go get Earl Thomas).  I loved the Reid pick and that we'd finally have 3 safeties with cover skills with Hal still around.  Loved bringing Joseph back although I was hoping we would also be grooming a successor. The Colvin signing struck me as odd as adding him to  Kareem, Johnson, and Mathieu gave us 4 guys best suited for the slot, but he is the one of that group signed for next year. I liked the Bademosi signing for special teams and that he was an upgrade on our usual #5 CB or S special teamer types that should never actually play in the secondary (Johnthan Banks, Marcus Cromartie, Eddie Pleasant, etc).  The obvious hole was #2 CB as I thought it was insane to trust Glassjaw Johnson to stay healthy or magically go from lowest rated CB in the NFL to this mythical land where a few promising weeks his rookie year were more representative of his talent than the other 80% of his career. Even if he was healthy and vastly improved, there has never been anything to suggest he's a man to man cover guy and in my book the #2 CB needs to handle the Ryan Grant, Donte Moncrief, Rishard Matthews #2s by himself because it's clear we need TWO guys on TY Hilton (no stat reference needed) and Keelan Cole (9/186/1 week 15) at all times and there isn't anyone here who can run with Corey Davis without help behind him. 

Now I don't want to oversell Webster as this is a guy who was still out there in late August for a reason (achilles), but the signing reminds me of the Quinton Demps signing as right guy, right opportunity (Demps brought speed, range, and cover skills when we had nothing but slow box safeties).   Purely from a traits standpoint, he actually fits the need and is DIFFERENT from the gaggle of zone corners who can't stay within 4 steps of their man like Virgin, Chachere (who are still better than Kelly or Decoud).  Webster has elite straight line speed (4.41), was often trusted on an island in Wade Phillips scheme in LA, actually knows how to backpeddle and flip hips, all with the added bonus of highlight reel open field tackling ability.

The knocks are the achilles and being a bit short at 5' 11" (looks shorter to me), but that never held Joseph back and Jackson, Hal, Virgin are listed at 5' 10" and Mathieu 5' 9". Not expecting him to be a big int guy, but we haven't had a CB get more than 2 since Romeo got here, so I'll take mere competence and not extending drives with garbage PI penalties. Sure he may end up being Marcus Gilchrist who walked off the street into a void to be a 16 game starter at FS, but unlike him, Webster has actually shown he's a good football player when healthy.  No, I don't expect him to fill the void Bouye left, but he's $65 million cheaper and a better fit for the job than Jackson or Johnson ever were better yet the "scrub of the week" additions to the secondary last year.

Now go get us a swing tackle better than Lamm or Rod Johnson and I might actually be happy with this roster (although Prosch, Blue, and Corey Moore will always be there for me to complain about).

16 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Let me jump in on the good vibes train.    The Kayvon Webster signing is one of my favorite non-splash signings in a long time.   Mathieu was obviously huge (although I wanted us to go get Earl Thomas).  I loved the Reid pick and that we'd finally have 3 safeties with cover skills with Hal still around.  Loved bringing Joseph back although I was hoping we would also be grooming a successor. The Colvin signing struck me as odd as adding him to  Kareem, Johnson, and Mathieu gave us 4 guys best suited for the slot, but he is the one of that group signed for next year. I liked the Bademosi signing for special teams and that he was an upgrade on our usual #5 CB or S special teamer types that should never actually play in the secondary (Johnthan Banks, Marcus Cromartie, Eddie Pleasant, etc).  The obvious hole was #2 CB as I thought it was insane to trust Glassjaw Johnson to stay healthy or magically go from lowest rated CB in the NFL to this mythical land where a few promising weeks his rookie year were more representative of his talent than the other 80% of his career. Even if he was healthy and vastly improved, there has never been anything to suggest he's a man to man cover guy and in my book the #2 CB needs to handle the Ryan Grant, Donte Moncrief, Rishard Matthews #2s by himself because it's clear we need TWO guys on TY Hilton (no stat reference needed) and Keelan Cole (9/186/1 week 15) at all times and there isn't anyone here who can run with Corey Davis without help behind him. 

Now I don't want to oversell Webster as this is a guy who was still out there in late August for a reason (achilles), but the signing reminds me of the Quinton Demps signing as right guy, right opportunity (Demps brought speed, range, and cover skills when we had nothing but slow box safeties).   Purely from a traits standpoint, he actually fits the need and is DIFFERENT from the gaggle of zone corners who can't stay within 4 steps of their man like Virgin, Chachere (who are still better than Kelly or Decoud).  Webster has elite straight line speed (4.41), was often trusted on an island in Wade Phillips scheme in LA, actually knows how to backpeddle and flip hips, all with the added bonus of highlight reel open field tackling ability.

The knocks are the achilles and being a bit short at 5' 11" (looks shorter to me), but that never held Joseph back and Jackson, Hal, Virgin are listed at 5' 10" and Mathieu 5' 9". Not expecting him to be a big int guy, but we haven't had a CB get more than 2 since Romeo got here, so I'll take mere competence and not extending drives with garbage PI penalties. Sure he may end up being Marcus Gilchrist who walked off the street into a void to be a 16 game starter at FS, but unlike him, Webster has actually shown he's a good football player when healthy.  No, I don't expect him to fill the void Bouye left, but he's $65 million cheaper and a better fit for the job than Jackson or Johnson ever were better yet the "scrub of the week" additions to the secondary last year.

Now go get us a swing tackle better than Lamm or Rod Johnson and I might actually be happy with this roster (although Prosch, Blue, and Corey Moore will always be there for me to complain about).

Rankin is gonna be our swing tackle 

there’s not any way Webster has 4.41 speed anymore. Maybe 4.6 speed. But I agree that he could be a serviceable starter by the end of the year. 

I suspect that Kareem is going to play a hybrid of CB/S. Call him what you want but he’s probably gonna be there in 3CB and 3 Saftey looks. He’s not stellar but he’s not Kevin Johnson bad either. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

A lot less than that 1st round Sam Bradford value you were trying to give him 

I'm sorry, you must not remember...

On 8/22/2018 at 9:02 AM, ET80 said:

Nonetheless - he went for a 1st rounder. I'll agree that Bridgewater doesn't go for THAT, but 4th is also very low for a potential floor for him. Fair spot is a 3rd, 2nd is feasible if a team is desperate (if Eli Manning got hurt, for example).

... allow me to refresh your memory.

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm sorry, you must not remember...

... allow me to refresh your memory.

after a long discussion about Bradford's first round value playing into a bridgewater deal. 

Ultimately he was worth exactly what I thought he was to us, a 4th round pick. that was fair market value for a 1 year back up QB option. To a team with a 40 year old starter that is looking at Tom Savage on the bench, Bridgewater was worth 2 1st round picks and the saints got him for a steal, but i digress. 

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

after a long discussion about Bradford's first round value playing into a bridgewater deal. 

Irrelevant. I stated my stance as is, listed my value on him. How you choose to interpret it is your problem, not mine.

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Ultimately he was worth exactly what I thought he was to us, a 4th round pick.that was fair market value for a 1 year back up QB option. To a team with a 40 year old starter that is looking at Tom Savage on the bench, Bridgewater was worth 2 1st round picks and the saints got him for a steal, but i digress. 

Haha. You're REALLY trying to backpeddle on your 4th round comment. It's comical.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess. I'm done.

I actually watched some of the Saints game this weekend and think I recall the play that probably led to Payton telling Loomis, I'm not handing over my Super Bowl team to this Savage guy - go get me Bridgewater. Nothing spectacularly bad, just a very Savage-ish play where you can tell he simply doesn't have "it" and won't ever have "it."  The arm is fine, he's a hard worker, smart, athletic, and probably executes great in practice, there is just something missing and I think it's between the earholes and in his cup. 

There's a kid on my kid's flag football team like this where he does practically everything a coach could want out of a player right up until the time the ball is kicked off on gameday.  He plays the first half and the team never goes anywhere as you can practically feel the kid tense up, start overaiming, watching the blitzer, and the team presses right along with him and drop the rare balls that are on target.   The 2nd half, this little adhd kid comes in at QB who spends 85% of practices getting in trouble for not paying attention, pulling flags off, ignoring structured drills to show off his spinning skills, and generally driving everyone nuts and running laps.  He plays defense some in the first half, but he so undisciplined, he gets burned despite being the fastest kid out there. Naturally, at QB the kid is the picture of focus and poise, executes plays with the precision of Brady, other kids start making spectacular plays, and of course he pulls 2 or 3 plays out of his butt that leave 7 kids in the dirt crying as he pulls off the comeback we know is always coming .  He even becomes nice, respectful, and humble almost embarassed at the attention as he downplays his half dozen jukes giving credit to the fat kid for selling a fake. 

Not gunna say that Taysom Hill kid that came in after Savage was perfect as he's undisciplined like this adhd kid, but you could just feel the game open up and become natural, where everything with Savage feels forced.  The Bridgewater trade is brilliant as he's actually always reminded me a bit of Brees, especially now with the knee adding the "underdog" motivation.  Obviously, he's way more polished than Hill who will likely stick as a Webb-ish QB3/special teamer.  As for Savage, sadly I think he'll probably bounce around with a few more injury replacement gigs like TJ Yates, but might end up being a halfway decent coach as the parts that are missing from him really aren't the teachable kind.

ET and Pastor, I'll give you a project worth fighting about.  Deliver me the calculus of the cost of letting the Vikings swoop in at #32 for Teddy Ballgame and settling for XSF at #33 and Savage in the 4th?  Include everything from win differential with the dozen scrubs we started, salary costs, draft picks spent or lost, lost prime years for defensive stars and Nuk, players lost (i.e. Osweiler dead cap = Bouye), yards lost vs. replacement level LG, and then factor in scenarios featuring healthy Teddy trendline, crippled version, and today.  Solve for "x" which is Watson.  Show your work...   

Compiling my T shopping list.

• Austin Pasztor - cut by Falcons - 43 starts w/Browns/Jags so he does have "starting experience", but then again Lamm has 11 undeserved starts
  • Anthony Garcia - cut by Jets - was Patriots 3rd rounder in 2017, but had a blood clotting issue that caused him to lose a ton of weight
  • Cornelius Lucus - cut by Rams - 6' 9" 328 monster road grader  - very intriguing option, Rams o-line depth chart was stacked
  • Breno Giacomini - cut by Raiders - I kid, I kid - but sadly this bum started over Lamm at RT for 16 weeks.
  • Menelick Watson - IR by Broncos - he'll be cut when healthy very soon - was an intriguing workout warrior who Raiders took in 2nd in 2013, but you'd think he'd have shown something by now
  • Chris Clark - FA/Texans - 32, better than Lamm, knows playbook, week 1 signing? Easiest option right now.
  • Luke Joeckel - FA/Seahawks - converted to G but to me a natural RT, 26 year old former #2 overall - not sure where it all went wrong for him

Not gonna lie, I'm always a sucker for former top picks to bring in as reclamation projects. It's not that I think we have some great coaching that can do what others can't and more like at least at some point they showed something. So I'd be all for taking a flyer on Joeckel. Garcia as I really liked him in the draft, but I'm not sure how much the blood clot issue is still affecting him and whether he can come back from it.

Archived