Texans off-season thread

ET80

We got McKinney's extension done.  5 years / $50 million / $21 guaranteed.

I think he's a bit overrated by Texans fans as he's just a tackler (albeit a really really good one) who doesn't rush the passer, doesn't cause turnovers, and remains a disaster in coverage. However, he's durable, a good leader and tone setter and tackling RBs is still kinda a big deal especially with the Jags and Titans on the rise, so locking him up was probably a good move to keep the core of what is working (front 7) together.  Having Cunningham around to handle coverage makes me like McKinney a whole lot more, but I'm also not sure McKinney is $49.5 million better than Dylan Cole and I think Kalambayi is going to surprise people.  The deal puts McKinney just behind Kuechly who got 5 / $61 / $27, but aside from injury concerns Kuechly brings a whole lot more to the table. Gotta say, our history hasn't been great with big money deals for ILB's (Demeco then Cushing) so it's not without risk, but we've got cap to burn the next few seasons and we're basically just swapping him into the Cushing salary slot (6 / $58 / $31). 

Of course, Clowney is the big deal to finish up which I suspect may double this one, but quality pass rushers/disruptors are a whole lot harder to find than tacklers who essentially shave a few tenths off RBs yards per carry.  Heck, I wish we could just resign Watson to a 9 year deal now so we could keep luxuries like $50m ILBs around and add the real priorities like a #1 CB and LT.  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23795982/houston-texans-lock-ilb-benardrick-mckinney-50m-extension

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

He shouldnt have been a 3rd rounder to begin with.  The fact we got him there is amazing.  He has first round talent.

I know we keep telling ourselves that and I do think he'll end up as one of the steals of the draft eventually, but he's still a rookie and Kareem and Kevin Johnson were ACTUAL first rounders and we torched entire seasons counting on them (Kareem's rookie year, KJ "replacing" AJ last year) without a fallback plan.  Swearinger was a 2nd round "steal" who couldn't get on the field as a rookie (yes, Reid might be the exact polar opposite player as a high character smart player who can cover vs. an attack dog who bit us more than opponents and peed on Wade's leg on the way out of town).  Again, I really like "the idea of" Reid, and I was absolutely rooting for him to win the starting gig over Hal, but Hal provided a nice security net since we know what we're getting there.  Safety is a hard college to NFL transition in the best of circumstances, especially if he's the last man back which means he's going to show up at the part of the SportsCenter highlight where the WRs are high stepping to the EZ even if it's Joseph or Kareem who blew the coverage. Again, I just think we're nuts not to take advantage of the inexplicably slow FA safety market and our mountain of cap space to bring in another vet as an insurance policy (remember Mathieu has made it thru a season ONCE in his career as well). 

If Corey Moore is starting at safety at any point we are right back to becoming a cover 4 team minimizing damage like last year vs. locking people down and making plays like 2016.  Pass rush helps, but we had Watt/Mercilus vs. Pats last year and safety play still killed us and shoddy safety play robbed us of putting a W by the greatest QB game in Texans history vs. Seattle.  I've resigned to the fact that if Watson gets hurt, we're just screwed, but there aren't options out there to guard against that. What we can't have happen is a secondary giving away games Watson has won for us and it seems to me that there is still some depth out there that is almost as good as our current starters and we've got $35m that's just buying us nothing but "space" (sure, some will be used to prorate McKinney/Clowney, but we've got even more coming when the Allen semantics are done).  Why burn the 2nd rounder to get Brock off the books only to waste twice that sitting unallocated?

i wondering if getting rid of Brock was less about the $ and more about him not getting along with BOB/personality issues

or maybe it was just to save face

I really do want to be hyped for this season, but thinking about our depth sometimes just makes me depressed

23 hours ago, tab said:

i wondering if getting rid of Brock was less about the $ and more about him not getting along with BOB/personality issues

or maybe it was just to save face

I really do want to be hyped for this season, but thinking about our depth sometimes just makes me depressed

Make no mistake, Brock had to go. The Head Elder (McNair) got impatient waiting on his King (O'Brien) to find a Queen (Franchise Quarterback), so he dispatched the head of the Senate (Smith) to seek out worthy candidates.  Unfortunately the politician was not only inept, but also harbored a jealously and hatred for the King and spent much of the kingdoms fortune ($72m) arranging a marriage with a young tall unsightly bride (Lady Osweiler) from his former territory whom the King had seen only once.  Of course, the politician made his clandestine deal without consulting the King and completely ignoring the qualities the was most looking for in a Queen who could help lead the empire alongside him.   The dutiful King did his best to work within the constraints of a forced marriage altho her faults and fallacies became obvious to all but had grown to love another woman (Savage - although she would prove to be a fragile and ineffective mate as well, was removed from power within hours of gaining the crown, and last seen convulsing deep within a man-made cavern).  The King was publicly supportive of the sham marriage and paraded her before the populace despite the giant child bride suddenly deciding around week 5 that she knew more about running a kingdom than the guy who had turned marginal foot soldiers like Hackenburg, Fitz, and Hoyer into competent warriors who at least didn't lead their armies off a cliff.  By week 17, the King was ready to behead the evil queen who thought her fortune and favor with the politician guaranteed her continued rule and placed the empire on the brink of a coup.  

Once it had become clear that the entire kingdom would fall if left to the unsightly queen, we banished her to the Wasteland of Cleve where 30 previous queens had fallen, they paid a ransom of $16m, and we granted them the right to choose our 2nd best academy graduate (35th best in the land) while leaving our $21m to burn.  Even they found her so hideous and cruel that they paid another king's ransom to send her back to her homeland in the mountains who agreed to keep her for $71.2 million less than the inept politician had first paid. She briefly regained the crown there, but their once mighty steeds did fall at her command and they shipped in a Viking princess.

So to be clear, my argument is more that we should invest some of the bounty that was saved from the banishment of the queen on other needs in our empire including reinforcements for our front lines and last defenses that were decimated last fall as we've already had a trusted sentry fall victim to the great illness in this campaign.  This is not cause to be depressed as the forced marriage indirectly led us to the love of our life (Watson) who will be a powerful Queen who will lead our empire to vast riches, trophies, and rings.  The Head Elder was even forced to abandon his loyal politician although he told the populace he was being sent on an important mission in the valley of the sun instead of branding it as the banishment it truly was. 

Yep - I challenge you to find another writer who can tangentially turn Texans drama into an a sexy Roman HBO miniseries.  It's my curse and my gift.

12 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Make no mistake, Brock had to go. The Head Elder (McNair) got impatient waiting on his King (O'Brien) to find a Queen (Franchise Quarterback), so he dispatched the head of the Senate (Smith) to seek out worthy candidates.  Unfortunately the politician was not only inept, but also harbored a jealously and hatred for the King and spent much of the kingdoms fortune ($72m) arranging a marriage with a young tall unsightly bride (Lady Osweiler) from his former territory whom the King had seen only once.  Of course, the politician made his clandestine deal without consulting the King and completely ignoring the qualities the was most looking for in a Queen who could help lead the empire alongside him.   The dutiful King did his best to work within the constraints of a forced marriage altho her faults and fallacies became obvious to all but had grown to love another woman (Savage - although she would prove to be a fragile and ineffective mate as well, was removed from power within hours of gaining the crown, and last seen convulsing deep within a man-made cavern).  The King was publicly supportive of the sham marriage and paraded her before the populace despite the giant child bride suddenly deciding around week 5 that she knew more about running a kingdom than the guy who had turned marginal foot soldiers like Hackenburg, Fitz, and Hoyer into competent warriors who at least didn't lead their armies off a cliff.  By week 17, the King was ready to behead the evil queen who thought her fortune and favor with the politician guaranteed her continued rule and placed the empire on the brink of a coup.  

Once it had become clear that the entire kingdom would fall if left to the unsightly queen, we banished her to the Wasteland of Cleve where 30 previous queens had fallen, they paid a ransom of $16m, and we granted them the right to choose our 2nd best academy graduate (35th best in the land) while leaving our $21m to burn.  Even they found her so hideous and cruel that they paid another king's ransom to send her back to her homeland in the mountains who agreed to keep her for $71.2 million less than the inept politician had first paid. She briefly regained the crown there, but their once mighty steeds did fall at her command and they shipped in a Viking princess.

So to be clear, my argument is more that we should invest some of the bounty that was saved from the banishment of the queen on other needs in our empire including reinforcements for our front lines and last defenses that were decimated last fall as we've already had a trusted sentry fall victim to the great illness in this campaign.  This is not cause to be depressed as the forced marriage indirectly led us to the love of our life (Watson) who will be a powerful Queen who will lead our empire to vast riches, trophies, and rings.  The Head Elder was even forced to abandon his loyal politician although he told the populace he was being sent on an important mission in the valley of the sun instead of branding it as the banishment it truly was. 

Yep - I challenge you to find another writer who can tangentially turn Texans drama into an a sexy Roman HBO miniseries.  It's my curse and my gift.

I'm honestly a little turned on right now.

This is going to be a huge year for Watt. If he is going to be back to the guy that dominated the league or some form of that, then great, if not then we are going to have a tough decision to make on him next off season. His value in Houston goes way beyond football, but if he isnt a pro bowl level player anymore then he is going to have to take a huge pay cut. 

his deal allows him to be cut next off season and save us 13 million. I hope he restructures his deal to lessen the cap blow, but that is a lot of money to be paying a guy that is old and washed up. It would definitely be a personal vs business choice. 

10 hours ago, tab said:

i think if watt gets another big injury, he's probably going to retire

He talked about early retirement back when he was in his prime - and even brought it up while dealing with his core injuries. 

I could see this if he had yet another season ending injury.

13 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Like it... IF (big IF) he is healthy, may have picked up a steal

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/roderick-johnson?id=2558114

Asked a bunch of Browns fans about it - given the retirement of Joe Thomas, there was a golden opportunity for Johnson as the starter at LT or a key reserve/swing T. Cutting before TC in favor of first round bust Greg Robinson is pretty telling that he's not really good overall.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'll even make it out of TC. Might be a Practice Squad guy, perhaps. But steal is really optimistic.

8 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

$9 million safety in a market where Vacarro, E. Reid, and Boston are still unemployed and Morgan Burnett got 3/$14 million and a only $2.4m cap hit in 2018.  $10 million buys you Pro Bowlers like Harrison Smith, Earl Thomas, Malcolm Jenkins,  That being said, with the Hal illness and us sitting around on a $30m pile of cap space, I'm not going to say it's not the right move to keep him and ease Reid into the role.  Kevin Johnson better show up this season and it sounds like Bandemosi is looking at a bigger role at CB in addition to gunner. Still think we need another quality CB as #5 as I don't see Kelly or Virgin as NFL players.  Actually kind of think Kelly's teammate Chachere was more draft-worthy than Kelly. 

Tackle is still the scariest by far though.  I'm getting a distinct vibe that Rankin is looking at a redshirt season at the IR resort as the foot injury sounded significant and regardless of any "pro-ready" bs we've heard before, the best lineman struggle transitioning with a full offseason of work, better watching from the tub.  Basically we have 5 extremely raw prospects who have done nothing competing for the 2 starting spots and 4 roster spots.  These guys are all essentially Kendall Lamm as bundles of athletic traits that fit the position profile, but none of whom really know nothing of playing the position. 

I have no idea how Mike Devlin still has a job as o-line coach considering every draft pick and free agent signing of the past 4 years has badly underperformed expectations under his tutelage, so I don't have a ton of confidence in his ability to teach technique and nuances of the position.  Martin basically has just played with the tools what he came here with, XSF couldn't be cured of fundamental flaws in 4 full offseasons, Allen fell apart the second he got here, and Mancz took a huge step back last year, and Giacomini came in with 70 starts and somehow started 16 more for us looking as awful in week 17 as he did week 1.  We had no reason not to give Fuller a look in a wasted season, yet we couldn't get him on the field. If Davenport actually develops into a real LT and Henderson doesn't fall flat on his fat face, all the rest will be forgiven, but those are MASSIVE if's that are protecting our franchises future. Devlin's o-line has gotten 9 QBs hurt in 4 years and that's not giving multiple credit for Savage and Hoyer injuries, so it still feels absolutely nuts to think Watson is going to survive tackles who have no idea what they are doing on 2 rebuilt ACLs.   I still can't get this play out of my head when I think about the Texans o-line last year, and Kendall Lamm is THE most experienced in Devlin's "system" again this year and will be out there if any of the lasts "projects" don't develop any better than the "pro ready" 33rd pick from UCLA.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:56 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

its about time. Jackson/Badger/Reid give us a decent trio at safety and Jackson and Badger can both play slot against 4 WR sets. Corner is still weak though. JJoe is aging quickly. Kevin Johnson is in a go big or literally go home year.  Colvin has never proved he can be a starting CB, but he was solid as a #3 guy last year. Hopefully we get some play making on the back end to make up for some mistakes. 

This D could be scary good if everything comes together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived