Texans off-season thread

ET80

14 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Colvin potentially playing on the outside scares me

I'm actually thinking he's going to prove to be a consistent presence out there. Might not wow us, but I think this narrative of him being "only" a slot CB is overblown a bit.

It's hard to see the field as a boundary guy when you're behind Bouye and Ramsey.

14 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Not really a fan of our CB's now.  Lets hope Kevin Johnson proves why we took him in the first round.

I'm not expecting much - I actually think Johnson will slowly start to fade out and Bademosi will get snaps ahead of him. Last season, there were some Patriots' beat writers who felt as if Bademosi was doing more than Stephon Gilmore at CB.

Just a cap update after the McKinney extension and cutting Jeff Allen - the Texans still have $34.8 million in cap space.  That's good for 5th most behind the rebuilding Browns, Colts, 49ers and a virtual tie with the Titans.  For 2019 we have over $60 million with only $1.25 million in dead cap (Allen).

I was curious about the spending floor which was supposedly a big deal back when the new CBA was signed in 2011 as it would effectively force the "cheap" owners like Mike Brown, Bill Bidwell, Ralph Wilson, William Clay Ford, and Malcolm Glazer to stay within 89% of the cap over a 4 year period.  Well, folks it seems as though amongst other grievances, we can now count Bob McNair as one of the cheapskate owners.  I don't have the inclination to explain all the details of this rule, but they calculate it over two 4 year periods (2013-16 & 2017-20) and use actual cash spent vs. cap meaning bonuses aren't prorated like they are for cap purposes.  For 2017, the Texans spent only 85% of the cap, making us one of 5 teams to not hit the 89% threshold in year 1.   For 2018 we are at 93%, but that assumes we actually pay out everyone on the books right now, which assuredly will not happen since we have 37 cuts to make and not all of those are going to be making the minimum (we have the 4th lowest cash spending in the league for 2018).  The total is a 4 year cumulative total whereby actual cash spending is divided by total cap, but 2 years in we are at 87% which is 3rd lowest behind the Colts (who paid $30 million cash to Luck in 2016) and Cowboys (who are paying 3 lineman, Demarcus Lawrence, and nobody else).

Now, in reality the cap floor was just another farce the owners duped the NFLPA with as the only real consequence is that if you are below the floor after 4 years, you have to distribute the difference to the players (no teams fell under last time), but as a comparative measure it shows that the owner of the 8th most valuable franchise that generates the 6th most revenue (Chicago & LA jump us in value due to market size) is bottom 3 in player spending.  Understand, that McNair carries almost no debt as almost the entire expansion fee was funded interest free from the NFL, taxpayers directly paid 72% of building Reliant/NRG, and the hidden tax in Houstonian's electric bills via $300 million/30 year naming rights deal (still the 3rd largest of all time).  For reference, NONE of the Giants/Jets $1.6 billion stadium was funded by taxpayers, NONE of LA's forthcoming $2.6 billion stadium, only 12% of the $1 billion 49ers stadium, and Jerry paid 3/4ths of the bill on Jerry World.

Bob McNair got the biggest sweetheart deal in the history of sports when he was gifted this franchise and a stadium in a shell game almost as shady as the $1.5 billion of Enron funny money that built his fortune.  He paid $700 million, but the NFL handed $500 million of it to him interest free, meaning he essentially only had to borrow $225m from the bank to cover the remainder and interest until revenues paid off the notes. The Texans made $141m net profit last year alone and are currently valued at $2.8 billion if that tells you how risky that investment was (borrow $200m to make $2 billion). For this we get a 110-146 franchise with 3 playoff wins in 17 seasons, one of the lowest profile brands in the game, 0 championships, 0 hall of famers, 0 1st or 2nd round picks or top tier free agents coming off a season where we were 3rd worst in the sport. 

The honeymoon has to freaking end at some point for this guy and I think sitting on a $35 million pile of cap space while still fielding the games worst o-line and a marginally better secondary is a good place to start.  Swallow this one - the Jaguars spent $442 million in cash the past 2 years while we spent $301, which while $ isn't everything, might offer a bit of a clue as to why they were 2 minutes from a Super Bowl and our big offseason acquisition is one of their spare parts (that they replaced with a former first round FA and a projected first round draft pick).  This team scored more than 2 Td's in exactly 2 games without Deshaun Watson and gave up 148 points in 4 losses with him, so what part of this says again sticking him behind a line of backups, and backing him up with a guy (Weedon) you cut to keep Treston Decoud parked on the roster is going to hold up.  But hey, at least the extra $44 million McNair is throwing to his pocket will go to worthy causes like to a President at war with the NFL and minority majority cities like Houston or to make sure men who prefer wearing dresses have to pee in the urinal at NRG like the drunk women do.      

On 7/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

Our CBs will suck. Our safeties will have to play lights out. 

Ive got a bad feeling about this year. I feel like we get smacked bad by the pats week 1 because BOB won’t have the team ready. 

man i've just been feeling not great about BOB in general. I'm still not ready to give up on him but he seems like the kind of coach that will get you to the SB and then choke

maybe im still salty about how last offseason went

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

The blind faith shown in Davenport terrifies me.  The dude was so awful in his first game he had to be pulled at halftime. Remember this gem where Davenport missed the punch and Sheard got more separation on a strip sack than Brandon Cooks on Texans DBs?

Screen_Shot_2018_02_01_at_3.31.40_AM.png

It wasn't as horrific a debut as XSF (who looked like we stuck a rando samoan rugby player out there, not a 2nd round, 3 year starter from UCLA with a full camp and half a season of practice ).   In case you need a reminder, here was a harbinger of the next 4 years of XSF's learning disability when it came to the punch and grab (the o-line equivalent of wrapping up on a tackle).

Filo_11-1.0.gif

All I've heard about Davenport this offseason is that he's "bigger."  Well in 4 years of Mike Devlin's tutelage, XSF came back bigger every single season (downright fat last year), but Devlin barely made a dent in XSF's fundamental flaws, nor did he seem to even adjust to them other than to flip him over next to Duane Brown and try to minimize times he was isolated.  Nobody should trust Devlin's ability to coach up talent or O'Brien's ability to identify coming trainwrecks after this braintrust thought Kendall Lamm had progressed to bring the best option to be our starting LT while we were without the services of DB76. 

By the time Davenport saw the field again the Texans had retreated into a run based turtle shell, with a completely unsustainable run/pass balance ratio that still allowed 9 sacks vs. 41 attempts.  The final Colts game was used to support Davenport's "improvement", but we played nearly the entire game with DQ and Fuller protecting him outside meaning he was almost never blocking one on one.  (BTW - Fuller is a guy we should be talking about more as he actually presents legit starter upside vs. Kelemete who is nothing more than the same old practice squader/turned reliable backup injury replacement that will get exposed as a starter just like Clark).   I'm not a huge Fulton fan either, but at least he actually has looked good on a football field for stretches which is something Kelemete and Henderson have never done. I think he's probably closer to Wade Smith than Jeff Allen, but for goodness sake, is Wade Smith really the high bar we are shooting for when in O'Brien's first year he was deemed the weak link in the best line we've ever had in Brown-Smith-Myers-Brooks-Newton.   Remember, Fulton looked good as a CENTER in KC, not a guard and we've seen that Devlin couldn't teach Jeff Allen to move from the left side to the right and Mancz was respectable as a center but awful as a guard under Devlin. 

Really, the one thing I'm counting on is that Nick Martin is talented enough to overcome poor coaching and that his struggles last year were more about the utter incompetence on either side of him and trying to do too much as essentially a rookie.  I was never a huge Ben Jones fan, but he got to mentor alongside the smartest C in the game in Myers for 3 years before taking over at C and he had Duane Brown to cover for XSF's incompetence and Brooks as an island unto himself on the right. Personally, I think it would help him to play guard alongside Fulton as center, but Martin profiles as a pure right guard and left guard is WAYYY to important to leave it to Kelemete. I don't think Rankin is going to get on the field much until later in the season, but I think he would form a solid interior as LG ultimately allowing Fulton to move to C and Martin on the right.  I'm not writing off Davenport just yet, but it won't shock me one bit if we are drafting LT/RT in the 1st/2nd next year - here's hoping the Titans or Falcons defy all logic and screw up the Lewan / Matthews extensions, but I think the Dolphins' Ju'waun James might be a more realistic target since they are cap strapped.   

43 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

This doesn’t mean much. Our line is too unproven to be considered bad. 

I'll concede to this, as I'm interested to see Kelemete and Davenport - but I'm part excited at the possibilities, part horrified at the possibilities. 

The OL did a good enough job in six games with Watson behind C - it's an incredibly small sample set, but Watson seems like one of those rare players who mere presence elevates everyone around him, OL included. Let's hope this is the case.

This is big - even with the money, Texans won't be re-signing Clowney this off-season.

Part of me is a bit relieved, because Clowney is a bit of a mystery with the production and injury history. This being said, if Clowney keeps on his current trajectory... this could be a very expensive.

All in all, I'm actually OK with playing the waiting game. If Clowney has a big year, the money will be there (as well as justified). If Clowney has a slow year, you can either get him on a reduced deal, or even let him test the market. Franchise tag is also an option on both.

Archived