Texans off-season thread

ET80

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

bye bye cushing, wont miss you, all though i wouldnt mind resigning him to a super cheap deal and moving him to the outside off the bench. 

I think Vrabel is gonna snag him to lead that Titans D.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I hope so

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think Vrabel is gonna snag him to lead that Titans D.

Oh pretty please.  What that team needs is ANOTHER slow 32 year old linebacker to go with Woodyard and Orakpo.  Maybe Cushing could get one of those cool "omega" brands like Woodyard, Cushing could share his eye black war paint, and Orakpo could share his steroid dealing brother.   Heck, 36 year old good guy gimp Derrick Johnson just got kicked to the curb and played alongside Vrabel in KC so clearly owes his entire success to absorbing the greatness of Vrabel like those talentless afterthoughts Clowney, Mercilus, and McKinney did.  Seems like a match made in heaven.   Since everyone just conveniently left 2017 (and 2013) off Vrabel's fluffed up resume, maybe he'll pay top dollar to take Kareem Jackson and/or Kevin Johnson off our hands.  

Yep, I remember when people thought Belichick was handing his "Patriot Way" protege Pioli a going away gift with Cassel and Vrabel for only a 2nd round pick (34th overall).  Pats got franchise safety Patrick Chung with that pick, replaced Vrabel with Mayo and bluffed the Chiefs into giving Cassel $63 million by sticking the franchise tag on a 7th round college backup who's claim to fame is being the QB for the one season in the past 15 where the Pats didn't make the playoffs (and playing the 2nd half of 57-14, throwing more yards and TDs to Texans than Titans).  BTW - As a reminder, one of the other things left off Vrabel's football sainthood resume is that he was a pouting diva after being a throw in on a salary dump trade and refused to take part in any off season activities for his new team despite supposedly being brought in for his leadership value ("leading" them to a 4-12 season).       

Since I'm in a Vrabel-hating mood, here's the best article I've seen blowing the lid off the ridiculous Peter King led mythology that built Vrabel into a media man-crush based upon "intangibles" that make him as qualified to be a head coach as Derek Jeter is being a baseball owner.  My favorite part is how Modiano breaks down how Vrabel is essentially the anti-Belichick in that Belichick put in 25 years building a diverse coaching and management resume (incl. winning 2 Super Bowls as a DC) before becoming the Pats coach while Vrabel is basically trading on some vague "commanding presence" and some magic dust he supposedly got from being coached by Cowher and Belichick. Funny that people forget that the guy they just fired (Mularkey) played for Chuck Noll and Bud Grant and coached alongside Cowher. He also led the Titans to the playoffs last year while Vrabel's lone season as coordinator he led his team to dead last in defense including losing multiple Deshaun Watson gems (Seahawks, Pats, Chiefs) and letting injuries be an excuse when we barely missed a beat without Watt in 2016. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/titans-hiring-vrabel-team-falling-patriot-lie-article-1.3785914

33 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Jackson needs to restructure. He’s not worth 9 million 

Restructuring means extending his contract at a position he has no business playing or being paid for.  He has the 16th highest cap hit at CB at $9 million despite essentially playing nickel/slot the past two seasons (theoretically a value that should be lower than at least 64 #1's and #2's or in the $2-$3 million range).  Tramon Williams and Deangelo Hall were at least great at one time but played last year for under $2 mil.   David Amerson strikes me as a decent comp as a CB coming off a bad year and cut from a contract he didn't live up to after a great 2015 (Jackson topped out at "not as awful as usual" including his first, last, and one in the middle where he was a key component of NFL worst secondaries).  Amerson signed a 1 year deal for the Chiefs for $2.25 million which ironically is the exact amount of dead space cutting Jackson would burn if cut or traded. 

If we decide to move him to safety like he should have been 6 years ago like Devin McCourty was, low end vet safeties get between $2-$4 million (Hal gets $3.75, Gilchrist got $2.8). Since we have space to burn, I could tolerate converting his $9 million into 2/$4.5 for converting to safety, but I doubt he'd go for it as he just needs one team to bank more on his successful conversion and I could see him replacing Joyner for Wade in LA.   Personally, I think we could do better starting over with a 3rd-4th round rookie at SS, but I'd prefer we bring in a top end SS like Eric Reid or Morgan Burnett who will cost less than Jackson is making and bring leadership other than pounding his chest after big hits on 5 yard runs by RBs after getting roasted or interfering with 3rd tier WRs for 30 yards two plays earlier.

7 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Bears are releasing G Josh Sitton in a rather surprising move. The IOL market is really starting to come into it's own, so I can see significant upgrades over Allen and Susan this off-season.

It's the 2nd time in two years Sitton has been cut loose for younger, cheaper options, so he'd at least require some vetting as his play was seemingly rock solid for both the Packers and Bears.  Another 31 year old LG who could get the boot for age/cap is Andy Levitre who I've always thought was underrated, but like Sitton tends to get dinged up.  Andrew Norwell is obviously the guy to get, but he's not only the top guard, he's the top lineman period, is 26, and will likely shatter the highest guard salary of all time (new Giants GM Gettleman earned his rep with UDFA finds like Norwell and they hired Mike Shula away from the Panthers to call plays, so yeah).  If the Giants break the bank for Norwell, they'll likely let Pugh and/or Richburg walk, both of whom are still better than anything we've had inside since Myers/Brooks.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the left guard spot is a critical one for us as it's unlikely we're going to be plugging in anyone with the pass protection skills of Duane Brown at LT, so we need someone who can hold his own without help in pass protection, while also being being able to lead the rushing attack pulling to the other side.   I was holding out hope we could find a way to get C/G James Daniels out of Iowa since Ferentz basically runs the O'Brien offense, but apparently my "sleeper" has opened up a few too many eyes as Kiper just popped him into the 1st round in his latest mock. 

On the bright side, there seems to be very little consensus on the top of the tackle class, so it's entirely possible one of our top guys slips to the 3rd, which would be ironic since many felt Duane Brown would have been sitting there for us in the 3rd in 08.  I think we are one of two teams with a legit shot at Nate Solder, but I think the Pats or retirement are likely way out in front.  If you aren't aware, Solder has a young son with rare kidney cancer, so it's about more than money (he already gave the Pats one sweetheart deal), but if you recall, one of the primary selling points for O'Brien was Texas Childrens Hospital's cutting edge research and support services for his severely developmental disabled son who requires around the clock care for lissencephaly (fyi Boston, Houston, Philly, Memphis, and Cinn are generally regarded as having the top pediatric cancer centers).   Personally, I couldn't imagine changing jobs/cities in Solder's situation, but O'Brien might be the one coach who could lend his perspective on making the best of a horrible situation with a sick child.  

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:55 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Bears are releasing G Josh Sitton in a rather surprising move. The IOL market is really starting to come into it's own, so I can see significant upgrades over Allen and Susan this off-season.

Yep.  No reason we shouldn't come out of the offseason not getting at least 3 new starters on the OL.

Archived