Fantasy Football 2022 General Discussion

NYRaider

18 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I just don't see Penny being phased out if he performs close to how he did to close out last year. He is very explosive--more explosive than Walker--and reads blocks pretty well. The issue for him has always been health. I suspect it will be more like a Gordon/Williams situation rather than a 60/40 supplanting.

Not to say Penny isn’t explosive, but Walker is about as explosive as they come at RB with his combination of acceleration/change of direction skills (similar to a Dalvin Cook type). I have little doubt that Walker is the more explosive RB of the two Seattle RB’s.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm trying to sell him before the season starts. I've basically offered him to everyone that I can. 

His value is stunted in PPR, has an extensive history, and is on a team that you figure is frequently trailing. He has a decent amount of predraft hype, so I'm trying to flip him upward just a bit. He's my RB4, so If I can flip him for a WR3, i'm pretty happy. 

I disagree about his fantasy hype this season based on how he finished last season and Walker's injury. He is one of the most explosive runners in the league with a clear path to work and his ADP topped out at like the 7th and 8th round. I understand the risk, but McCaffrey is still going top 5 and Barkley is going in the late first/early second. I think people just view Penny as a bad player rather than a player mired by injury. I would much rather have Penny--or at least see what he can do early this season--than trade him for a WR3 which are a dime-a-dozen.

I drafted him in the 6th in a .5 PPR. I view his upside as leading the league in rushing if he plays 16+ games. Obviously that's a big "if." But, I'd happily take the risk in round 6+.

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

Hopefully Penny starts out with a nice couple games and Walker is kept low on the touches total and someone jumps at the option to trade for Penny

I think it's likely Penny just keeps the job as the lead guy through the season if he's healthy. I just don't view Walker as a guy who has to get work if Penny is playing well.

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Not to say Penny isn’t explosive, but Walker is about as explosive as they come at RB with his combination of acceleration/change of direction skills (similar to a Dalvin Cook type). I have little doubt that Walker is the more explosive RB of the two Seattle RB’s.

I disagree with your assessment on Walker v. Penny. We have seen Penny be explosive in the NFL (i.e. running away from DBs at the second level). I'm not sure Walker is that explosive. Maybe he's better in that 5-15 yard area--but few players pull away like Penny.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree with your assessment on Walker v. Penny. We have seen Penny be explosive in the NFL (i.e. running away from DBs at the second level). I'm not sure Walker is that explosive. Maybe he's better in that 5-15 yard area--but few players pull away like Penny.

I feel like this is a flawed take. This is essentially saying that because Penny has had some explosive plays over his 4 seasons in the NFL, he is the more explosive player since we “haven’t” seen Walker do it in the NFL yet.

That would be like saying a couple seasons ago Marlon Mack is more explosive than Jonathan Taylor going into his rookie season. Mack made some explosive plays in his NFL career, but it would be clear to anyone that extensively watched both play in college/NFL that Taylor was clearly more explosive even though he hadn’t done it in the NFL yet.

Penny has had 3 plays of 40+ yards in his 4 year career (over 300 touches). Solid, but hardly spectacular among NFL RB’s. Penny has Penny ran a 4.46 40 coming into the league, which is solid not spectacular. Next Gen tracked him at 20.7 MPH on one of his longer runs in his NFL career. Solid, but not great.

Walker led the nation among RB’s in explosive runs (10+ yards), yards after contact, forced missed tackles, and ran a 4.38 40 time. Walker has been clocked as fast as 21.7 MPH. 

Just watching them both play, the eye test seems to be clear as well and highlights that Walker has better burst, quickness, and top end speed.

Here’s a few clips highlighting his burst and top end speed:

I suppose we will see how they look next to each other soon enough, but I don’t think your take will age well when they are both taking snaps this season.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree about his fantasy hype this season based on how he finished last season and Walker's injury. He is one of the most explosive runners in the league with a clear path to work and his ADP topped out at like the 7th and 8th round. I understand the risk, but McCaffrey is still going top 5 and Barkley is going in the late first/early second. I think people just view Penny as a bad player rather than a player mired by injury. I would much rather have Penny--or at least see what he can do early this season--than trade him for a WR3 which are a dime-a-dozen.

I drafted him in the 6th in a .5 PPR. I view his upside as leading the league in rushing if he plays 16+ games. Obviously that's a big "if." But, I'd happily take the risk in round 6+.

I think it's likely Penny just keeps the job as the lead guy through the season if he's healthy. I just don't view Walker as a guy who has to get work if Penny is playing well.

I think 7th / 8th is a fine time to take a shot on him if you want, though I am not bullish on him finishing as more than a mid to low end rb2 in his best scenario. It would be good value at that point if you're drafting him as an RB4 and get an RB2.  I got him outside of the top 100 in full PPR. 

I think leading the league in rushing is too optimistic a view point to support drafting him significantly over ADP. He plays on a team that plays slow and should be trailing quite a bit, doesn't offer much in the way of receiving, coming off a season where he ran against light boxes a very high percentage of the time (early 60% of the time he was carrying with 6 men or fewer in the box) which doesn't seem likely to keep going when tied to and Geno Smith. I would also expect his YAC to dip somewhat. I think that there are going to be games where he's just flat out unusable. And this is going to be before considering Walker potentially eating into his share or the injury history. 

12 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Thoughts on Allgeier? Rookie rb with ATL. I know he's got Patterson and Williams in front of him, but what's the word, do they think he will get his touches? 

Two Running QB’s, and a offense projected to be Bottom 10 scoring. I have mostly stayed away from Allgeier. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Two Running QB’s, and a offense projected to be Bottom 10 scoring. I have mostly stayed away from Allgeier. 

I like him for dynasty leagues but not as high in redrafts/bestball.  I think he gets a shot down the stretch which may be ok but he will be better when either Ridder develops more or they get a better option in the draft next year and with Ridley back.  They should have a solid offense and if he shows any flashes, he should be the guy next year.  

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

Thoughts on Allgeier? Rookie rb with ATL. I know he's got Patterson and Williams in front of him, but what's the word, do they think he will get his touches? 

I have him in dynasty, but 0 shares in redraft. 

18 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

2QB League PPR.  Would you rather have Mac Jones/Goff and Tee Higgins or Kirk Cousins and Darnell Mooney?

My other QBs are Hurts and Mariota/Ridder

I'd rather have Mooney and Cousins.  Mac has no WRs and Goff could have a big year but Cousins has consistently done it.  I would think Mooney and Higgins end up with similar numbers.  I like having a #1 on a bad offense than a #2 on a good offense with a lot of other options. 

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Mac has no WRs

If Parker can stay healthy, he has proven he can be a top tier WR in the NFL, just never is healthy. Jakobi Meyers is also one of the best slot WR’s in the NFL. Hunter Henry is also a Top 10 TE. I do agree Cousins/Mooney is the right choice though. But don’t sleep on the Pats offense. Not expecting much Week 1, but they will be a solid offense.