How long should a coach have tenure on a team?

Championshiporbust

Some say Don Shula stayed too long as Dolphins' head coach after the 1984 season, that he should have left after the '86/'87 season....

Mike Shanahan stayed too long as the Broncos' head coach and did not get a quarterback like John Elway......

Tom Coughlin stayed too long and should have retired after the Giants won the Second Manning-Brady Bowl.

Coach Richard Vermeil was smart, he won a Super Bowl and left the Rams. 

Bill Cowher won a Super Bowl, left the following year....

Do some coaches overstay their welcome?

Edited by Championshiporbust

11 minutes ago, Championshiporbust said:

Yes some coaches definitely over stay their welcome but every situation is unique. One of the biggest issues, imo, is that typically when teams win a Super Bowl or have sustained success they lose a ton of talent to free agency and their coaching staff's get poached.

39 minutes ago, Championshiporbust said:

Yes, absolutely. 

Jeff Fisher stuck around the NFL WAAAY too long. 

In all seriousness, though, yeah. Many try to recapture the magic once held. It's tricky though. Sometimes it works, like Tomlin in Pittsburgh so far, sometimes it never pans out, like Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati. 

Personally, if I were an older coach and won the big one, I'd consider bouncing the next season if things went downhill at all. Once talent and assistants leave, it's time to move on usually

• Like 1

Tennessee should have fired Fisher in 2006. Finishing 6-1 isn't enough to save your job, especially his toxic relationship with VY.

Lewis should have been shown the door after 2016.

Edited by biggie.

16 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Shula probably should’ve left in the late 80’s

What about Shanahan? Should he have left with Elway in '99? He only had 1 playoff win in the post-Elway era and left in 2008......

I think that is why some coaches aspire to win 3 straight titles and walk into the sunset....free agency/salary cap breaks up teams and teams go downhill

I think Belichick wins one more and rides into the sunset 

It really depends on how competitive the team is. People will say Pete Carroll immediately on this thread, but he has consistently won and made the playoffs. That puts fans in the seats which is the owners true motivation. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It seems like the coaches who stick around too long usually have a system they stick to and can’t adapt. The good ones like Tomlin belichick and Harbaugh adapt and are willing to change. 

Most QB's that are able to stick around for an extended period of time usually also have very good QB play. Harbaugh had Flacco for years and then transitioned to Lamar Jackson. Bill had Tom Brady for years and recently just transitioned to Mac Jones. Tomlin has had Big Ben throughout his entire career up until just recently and the same for Pete with Russell Wilson.

Some teams elect to keep coaches too long. But your question is really how much grace should winning a Super Bowl give a coach? It's a great question. I think even without the media smoke I'd believe McVay will leave the Rams long before he gets fired.

Vermeil should have stayed with the Rams. Martz likely goes somewhere else to be a HC, but my God how can you leave that roster? Four in their prime hall of famers on offense and Torry Holt. Crazy that he left that.

It's tough man. There are still quite a few teams that winning a Super Bowl for them is a pipedream. So I'm fine with teams that hold onto these guys forever.

Like even for a team like the Steelers, winning Super Bowls in this modern age of football is not a given. The Cowboys and the Niners haven't won since the 90s. These are the teams who have won the most save for the Patriots.

So for me, as a reward for winning a Super Bowl, I'm not letting a coach go unless we become one of the worst teams in the league.